Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trial by Internet - Amanda Todd

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    It would be interesting if someone actually caught up with and interviewed them - asked them why they wrote that stuff. They probably don't know themselves.

You can ask some of the puntastic posters from Pig eats farmers thread

Or better still Man crushed by Steamroller on orders of Chineese Officals.
    Just hilarious, spring rolls

But then a poster made a joke about a Polish rubbish collector killed in Dublin and was ripped to pieces, multiple quotes of disgust

There is no rule or policy

Your post may get 100 thanks or you may be sorry you ever posted it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

The best piece of advice I was ever given was to not read the comments under Youtube videos!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Its not exclusive to that video, look at almost almost every video on YT, be it how to replace a flat tyre, or a blog on anxiety, and inevitably the comments descend into trolling very shortly, basically the most innocent comment can be twisted and attacked by the very many disturbed people in our world. The problem is there are a huge amount of people out there who are out of work, bored, spiteful or mentally ill and here they have access to the biggest, most anonymous (mostly) and safest way of venting their frustration and they are using it big time!

I have seen some extremely disturbing comments from people on YT videos that seem to spark from a simple disagreement, and I would wager that most of the people who type such comments wouldnt say boo to a goose in real life. Of course a lot of them are just bad people who would use any outlet to vent their rage but in most cases they are more to be pitied. Its better to just avoid putting as much of your personal life as you can on the net and ignore any comments because unless the regulations for trolling are tightly controlled this problem will just remain..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Jimmy Saville is still a c*nt though eh??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Youtube comments arent trolling. Theyre just societies dregs with a keyboard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I think one thread about this subject is enough.

Threads merged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Super-Rush wrote: »
    I think one thread about this subject is enough.

Threads merged.

Wait what?
    A thread about internet vigilantism merged with a thread about youtube trolling?
    Sorry but that makes no sense, when I clicked on page 4 I was like "wtf did I accidentally go into a different thread" before I saw your post. Unmerge imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    Amanda Todd was a 15 year old teenager who committed suicide recently after a campaign of hate and bullying from her peers. It's a longer story than that but that's the jist of it. Before she died she made a video on Youtube about her story and what was happening to her.

Look at the comments - some of the nastiest, most hateful stuff you could ever read. What is wrong with some people? What could be going through their head as they are deciding to write some of this stuff? What possible buzz could they be getting off it?

It would be interesting if someone actually caught up with and interviewed them - asked them why they wrote that stuff. They probably don't know themselves.

It's simple really. Anonymity + Internet = Dickhead.

It's surprising how cruel even a seemingly normal person can be once their on the internet.
    afatbollix wrote: »
    The hate jokes page of that women that died in Australia Jill Meagher are disgusting. Its the first time Ive been disgusted on the internet and Ive seen it all.

There those seem to be a backlash against cases like these that get a lot of attention. Its a bit unfair on the victim since its the media that pushes the story not the victim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Because there is no anonymous that you can go out and approach. Anyone can claim the tag and there's no proper accountability with it. It's the web equivalent of an angry mob with pitch forks and if that's to be considered justice, it's a fools sense of justice.

But your stupid if you do claim to be them and you're not afiliated with them. there was a guy who took down a charity site and Anonymous went after him.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19093495

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Wait what?
    A thread about internet vigilantism merged with a thread about youtube trolling?
    Sorry but that makes no sense, when I clicked on page 4 I was like "wtf did I accidentally go into a different thread" before I saw your post. Unmerge imo.

I actually realised that too late. Can't unmerge unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Some of you may have heard the story of Amanda Todd, the 15 year old Canadian girl who was found dead on October 10 after killing herself to escape cyber bullies.

Today an internet hacking group named 'Anonymous' posted a video online naming a man which the group claims posted the topless pictures of the girl online, which led to Todd's suicide.
    The video claims the man is a 32-year-old former Facebook employee from British Columbia

This video has sparked outrage among the 'supporters' of Todd with people saying this man should 'sleep with one eye open' and that he will be 'punished'.

This video has 27,000 views in it's first day and is gaining a lot of publicity, the last person I'd want to be at this moment is the man named in the video who a lot of people are already assuming guilty of bullying this girl.

What's your view on this "trial by Internet"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2218532/Amanda-Todd-Anonymous-names-man-drove-teen-kill-spreading-nude-pictures.html

My view is too late. The girl's dead.

Vigilante justice is too futile. Where were the people when she was being bullied at school? Who stood up for her? This is a girl who was taken advantage of, a girl who was humiliated time and time again, a girl who was beaten up, a girl who was constantly ridiculed. The age of social media also meant that she couldn't escape it.

There's millions of kids like her. School is a cruel place for many people. I certainly remember it being that way.

The saddest part of her video was the last card:
    "I have nobody... I need someone =(". That's all she needed, someone to stand up for her while she was getting bullied at school and say "Enough".

This vigilante justice post death is futile, absolutely futile. In the context of what I believe, it makes me wonder what could be said to her to keep her going, what could she have done to stay alive, what could others do to keep her alive.

However, this nonsense of vigilante justice will produce nothing good. The girl is dead now. Nothing will bring her back to this world.

Super-Rush wrote: »
    I actually realised that too late. Can't unmerge unfortunately.

eejit :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

eejit :mad:

Relax. It's an internet forum, you'll live.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

The problem is there are a huge amount of people out there who are out of work, bored, spiteful or mentally ill and here they have access to the biggest, most anonymous (mostly) and safest way of venting their frustration and they are using it big time!

It could be the average human default setting is "c**t" and the youtube comments page etc is a representation of that ie people knowing they can say exactly what they want without moderation.

Not a nice worldview but the internet's gift of giving everyone in the world a voice has spawned such results.

Relax. It's an internet forum, you'll live.

I know, I just love a legitimate opportunity to call someone an eejit as opposed to calling someone an eejit when they are not in fact guilty of eejitism

• Advertisement

UCDVet wrote: »
    Most people are cool with vigilante justice - so long as they get the right guy and dish out a 'reasonable' punishment.

The problem is it's really, really difficult to do that. So we have legal systems where people spend years/decades learning the legal system in an attempt to be fair.

As I said on the other page, the problem in these cases seems to be that the legal system is not fit for purpose, either because the authorities don't care enough about cases of bullying and animal abuse (the two main issues which attract internet vigilantism from what I've seen) or the law is not regarded as sufficient by those who take part.

In other words, either they feel the police don't care enough to chase these people, that the burden of evidence and/or technicalities one can get off on in court are too many in the digital world (for example, why the hell can't the Gardai use "find my iphone" GPS to get people's stolen phones back, when you have proof it's in a certain residence? That kind of red tape), and finally that the legally mandated punishment is not harsh enough (The latter is especially true in cases of animal abuse. Also remember that woman a year or two ago who bullied her daughter's schoolmate by pretending to be a boy, told her to kill herself which she did, and got no jail time? The vast majority of people I saw remarking thought she should have done time).

Now again I'm not justifying rule by the mob. But surely in a democracy, if an overwhelming section of society believed there should be harsher penalties for crimes such as harassment and animal abuse, that's something we should look into changing? Also the whole area of evidence. The digital world has moved beyond what the world was like when rules on evidence were drawn up. I see no legitimate reason why I shouldn't be able to, for example, present a printout of icloud.com's "find my iphone" showing my friend's iPhone at a house in the city (this actually happened, btw) and get the Gardai to get it back for me and deal with the thieves, as opposed to what actually happened which was her older brother having to go to the house himself to get the phone back, putting himself at risk).

Why can't we change the legal system, and the law, to accommodate these things? Why do so many people feel that the police will not deal with these bullies adequately, and if so many people do feel that way is that not a problem we need to look at solving?

philologos wrote: »
    However, this nonsense of vigilante justice will produce nothing good. The girl is dead now. Nothing will bring her back to this world.

That is true. However. I do feel that one positive aspect of this retribution stuff is that it might act as a deterrent. In other words, next time someone decides to film themselves setting a cat on fire or e stalking someone to the point of suicide, they might stop and think "Hang on, last time someone did this they paid dearly for it..."

Of course, that's what the legal system is for. But as I say, it would appear in these cases to be not quite fit for purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,199 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I do feel that one positive aspect of this retribution stuff is that it might act as a deterrent. In other words, next time someone decides to film themselves setting a cat on fire or e stalking someone to the point of suicide, they might stop and think "Hang on, last time someone did this they paid dearly for it..."
    heres the thing, it wouldn't act as a deterrent at all, if their the type to stalk people or set cats a light they will do it regardless, their psycotic, and deterrents won't stop them, locking them up in a psychiatric hospital however would stop them. of course their are some who are just nasty filthy trash and deterrents and legislation won't change them or their behaviour.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

Advertisement