Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Import duty and tax on imported items

Options
  • 16-10-2012 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭

I'm about to open a shop and I import all my stock from outside of Europe. In the past I have sublet and not been a registered business, and often on packages I imported I have not had to pay import duty or VAT. These packages were over the €25 cut off point for duty.

Now obviously as a registered business with all that comes with that, to keep everything above board, if I receive packages and am not charged import duty and VAT when I receive them how do I go about paying the duty owed?

Is the onus on me or the government to sort out having duty and VAT paid? (obviously I presume it's on me)

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

pinksoir wrote: »
    I'm about to open a shop and I import all my stock from outside of Europe. In the past I have sublet and not been a registered business, and often on packages I imported I have not had to pay import duty or VAT. These packages were over the €25 cut off point for duty.

Now obviously as a registered business with all that comes with that, to keep everything above board, if I receive packages and am not charged import duty and VAT when I receive them how do I go about paying the duty owed?

Is the onus on me or the government to sort out having duty and VAT paid? (obviously I presume it's on me)

Thanks.

Hello Pinksoir,

have a look at this thread ; http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055862554

I reckon this will answer a lot if not all of your questions

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Thanks very much, I'll have a sift through.

Advertisement