Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your experiences with managers and colleagues and customers in work

Options
  • 16-10-2012 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

Does anyone have any stories about how a speech impediment has had an impact in work?

I had a very bad experience with a manager and some colleagues and wonder if it is a common problem?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭Hope O_o

I am sorry you've had such difficulties...

When I had a regular job, I stammered a little around my bosses (they made me nervous). I spoke smoothly on the telephone with clients.

My bosses seemed okay with me; my male colleagues were not as kind - but they weren't used to sharing their workspace with a female so they were blatant about everything...

My current 'employer' is not patient with anyone or anything, so I can't cite my stammer as making much difference in her treatment of others.

On a positive note, I frequent a bookshop whose best salesclerk has a pronounced stutter.. :) ..she has worked there for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Equality

My problem is related to the fact that a manager held a meeting (attended by about twelve of my colleagues) to point out that 'someone is not answering the phone right'. She was referring to the content of what I was saying, as she felt I was giving people too much information, rather than to my speech impediment, but another lady at the meeting spoke up and criticised my speech, so I got hit by two issues in the space of a few minutes.

In fairness to the manager, she was not referring to my speech, but another lady who spoke at the meeting did have a big problem with my speaking voice (it is a somewhat grating voice, but I was having speech therapy at the time, and even the speech therapist could not solve the speech problem.) I had not realised until my colleague spoke at the meeting that my voice was causing such an issue in the office.

The meeting caused a lot of bad feeling in the office, to say the least. It led to such nastiness that management had transfer me to Dublin.

The speech issue still causes problems - either people can't hear me, because my voice is too weak, or it is annoying them because it has a grating tone. (It is not a stammer, in my case).

Has anyone any tips for how to avoid having to talk, when working in an office type environment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

When I managed for Dunnes my first store manager had a stutter and would get stuck on words but never stopped him,he was highly respected within Dunnes,it didnt help me when he was having a rant because I tend to stutter when tired or stressed:o

Advertisement