Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

25 Year Old Wants To Go To College

Options
  • 16-10-2012 5:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭

Hi, hoping someone can help me as I'm a little clueless on the whole process.

I'm 25 years old and I completed my leaving cert in 2005, I didn't do particularly well as I had a job lined up before I left so I didn't really care. But I lost this job after a few years due to the economic downturn. It was a hotel barman job. I've worked in a few dead end jobs since then and I'm currently working on a farm on a week on week off basis.

I feel this is a good time to go get myself a good education that will hopefully lead to a reasonable job, I have no kids or mortgage.

I have two FETAC level 5 credits in bookkeeping and computerised accounts, I really enjoyed doing these courses and would like to study something in this area.

I realize I have missed the boat for 2012-2013.

From the info that I have managed to get am I right in thinking that I'll have to wait until November to apply to the CAO? Also, are these FETAC level 5 qualifications worth anything or are they worthless to me?

Any help greatly appreciated. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Contact your local VEC Adult Education section. They will have someone who can advise re courses to help you. You may even be able to add to your FETAC credits this academic year to form the basis of an application. As a mature student you have a number of options open to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

Just had a look at their website and all they seem to do is courses in Knitting, Cooking and that type of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

That's probably the night course info. Have a look at the 'Services' page here: http://www.aegai.ie/ It will give you a list of the Adult Guidance Services across the country. Most have information officers as well as guidance counsellors and they can give you more detailed information on certified courses, and progression options open to you as well as funding etc.

You can carry FETAC credit for up to 4 modules into a new award. So in your case it means that you may only have to complete six instead of eight FETAC modules to get a full level 5 award.

paperclip2 wrote: »
    That's probably the night course info. Have a look at the 'Services' page here: http://www.aegai.ie/ It will give you a list of the Adult Guidance Services across the country. Most have information officers as well as guidance counsellors and they can give you more detailed information on certified courses, and progression options open to you as well as funding etc.

You can carry FETAC credit for up to 4 modules into a new award. So in your case it means that you may only have to complete six instead of eight FETAC modules to get a full level 5 award.
    I don't understand this part. Do you mean that I won't have a hope of going to college with just two level 5 FETAC awards?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

No, it just means that for you to get a full FETAC level 5 award you can carry credits from your two existing modules and would only need to do a further 6 modules instead of 8 to get a full FETAC level 5 Major award.

You're a mature student so for many college courses a full FETAC award or Leaving Cert may not be necessary but having some previous formal education is valuable if you do want to progress to college.

Other college courses can specify certain entry requirements for adults which might be certain Leaving Cert subjects or FETAC awards.

You could start checking into college courses now and make a note of the ones that interest you. Then check into the entry requirements for Mature Students for those courses. You might find that your current level of education and work experience are enough to meet the minimum requirements or you might decide to complete a full FETAC award or do an Access course before going to college.

You can find information on the majority of college courses in Ireland here: http://www.qualifax.ie

Just be aware that not all colleges require Mature students to apply via CAO, some require you to apply directly to the college and a small number of others require you to apply directly to them and to CAO. Details of these are in the CAO handbook or on the website http://www.cao.ie

Application to CAO opens on November 5th and you have till the 1st of February.

• Advertisement

Thanks a million, appreciate the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

Thanks a million, appreciate the help.

You should look into plc and Fas a lot of them have a course from accounts technician Ireland. It trains you to be a accounts technician you become qualified after 2 years or go on to 3rd year accountancy course in some IT's. or some exceptions to professional exams to become a accountant

Advertisement