Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple Announce Event For October 23rd (iPad Mini Announcement))

• 16-10-2012 5:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭

Apple have just issued invites to an event next week (Tuesday 23rd of October). It's very likely that the rumoured iPad Mini will be launched. As well as a 13" Retina MacBook Pro, updated iMacs and new Mac Minis.
    apple-ipad-mini-launch-announced-official.jpeg

Full details via 9To5Mac.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭NetNinja

I've been waiting for the new imac's, for what seems like forever!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭boreder

NetNinja wrote: »

Seems they're getting a new (thinner) design, too - not just a spec bump. Doing away with the optical drive by the looks of it.

I've been holding off getting a new MacBook to see if they announce a 13" retina... fingers crossed the rumours are true!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

NetNinja wrote: »

One of the posts on the iMac refresh says:
    On the iMac, the poster says:

It should be announced this month or next month (likely at the Oct. 23th announement)
    • The design is of”epoch-making significance”
    • From side to side you “almost cannot see the new iMac’s thickness” and it is compared to a drop of water and “tetragonal” elements. Still has iMac ‘chin’ below display
    • It appears that the display is a “very pretty special glass glued directly” (perhaps like Retina MBP) to the machine rather than a separate display assembly
    • The 21-inch might be ready before the 27-inch
    The more expensive iMac and redesigned screen might hint at Retina. However, strangely, the poster does not mention anything related to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,935 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

The Retina 13" is appealing but not right now. My 2011 is lightening fast through my own upgrades.

Maybe in a year or two I'll consider it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

Aodhagan wrote: »
    The Retina 13" is appealing but not right now. My 2011 is lightening fast through my own upgrades.

Maybe in a year or two I'll consider it.

Anybody any opinions about a Retina MBP in general with regards upgrading etc? I've never upgraded a computer in my life but I'm going to be jumping into the Mac world soon and figure it's more of a long term purchase than regular budget windows PCs. Don't wanna be spending 2k on a laptop if upgrading is par for the course, and it's not possible on rMBP's!

• Advertisement

Anybody any opinions about a Retina MBP in general with regards upgrading etc? I've never upgraded a computer in my life but I'm going to be jumping into the Mac world soon and figure it's more of a long term purchase than regular budget windows PCs. Don't wanna be spending 2k on a laptop if upgrading is par for the course, and it's not possible on rMBP's!

It's pretty much not upgradable at all due to the way Apple designed it. It's pretty hard to tear down according to iFixit. So if you are buying one I recommend upgrading it to the desired specs because once you have it your gonna have a hard time making upgrades yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

I've a feeling Irish pricing will be starting at €349. Especially as the new touch is €329. It would be great if they priced it at €299. It would encourage a lot of people to pick one up. But this is Apple. They'll always push the price higher than needed. Coz lets face it they'll sell boatloads. 7" in a tablet doesn't interest me personally. I've the new iPad and I think a tablet should be full sized. Something smaller ill have my iPhone.

More than likely the new iTunes will drop on Wednesday. That's something I'm looking forward to. I'm one of the majority who likes using it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭iDann

Awkward moment when they announce a bigger iPad, not the mini hahaha

iPad Mini sounds stupid. I don't think it will be named that at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

DubDJ wrote: »
    I've a feeling Irish pricing will be starting at €349. Especially as the new touch is €329. It would be great if they priced it at €299. It would encourage a lot of people to pick one up. But this is Apple. They'll always push the price higher than needed. Coz lets face it they'll sell boatloads. 7" in a tablet doesn't interest me personally. I've the new iPad and I think a tablet should be full sized. Something smaller ill have my iPhone.

More than likely the new iTunes will drop on Wednesday. That's something I'm looking forward to. I'm one of the majority who likes using it :D

Have to say I agree. I can see why apple are entering this market but for me, when I can buy a tablet it will be full sized not 7".

I'm the same wih iTunes too. Must be the only one of my mates that like it once you get to know it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Apple entering a niche market here with the "iPad mini".

The lower price point and screen size will be a direct competitor with all those kindle's and e-readers out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Anyone think there's even the remotest possibility they could announce something about a streaming/music service?

I read some details came out that they were going this route but couldn't get agreements with all the labels and people speculated, had they done so, they would have announced it along with the updates to the iPod/iTunes last month.

Also, they're going back to the location that hasn't been used since announcing the original iPod. Clutching? :D

I agree with both above. I see a huge market for Apple with the 7" tab. But for me I'm not too into them. My cousin has a nexus 7 and it is a great device. But still just a bit too small for me. I think Apple should take a hit on the price of this and sell it for under €300. It's close enough to the nexus 7/Kindle and far enough from the original iPad to differentiate both.

My little sister wants an iPad for Xmas and at €479 that's not gonna happen. Closest thing is preowned or the iPad 2. But a mini under €300 would encourage a lot of people buying it for a gift. It also competes with a lot of netbooks selling between €250-€300.

Same here with iTunes. I sync my iPhone and iPad almost daily. For me it's like a central hub for my media and its easy to keep everything up to date and backed up. I'm hoping the new iTunes overhaul is actually streamlined and not just a design change. It is still a little sluggish for my liking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

A lot of talk of Apple aiming towards the education sector with this new 7" iPad. In some ways it makes since, seeing as it will be at a cheaper price point than the regular iPad, and much more portable. But I would have thought the 9" allows for much more usability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Dman001 wrote: »
    A lot of talk of Apple aiming towards the education sector with this new 7" iPad. In some ways it makes since, seeing as it will be at a cheaper price point than the regular iPad, and much more portable. But I would have thought the 9" allows for much more usability.

The trick for the education sector is electronic substitution. As in they need to get education publishers on board so they can get rid of hard copy books. That will mean portability is not an issue with the current size iPad.

Looking forward to iTunes 11 myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

The 7.85inch screen being touted by the rumour mills has 40% more screen size than the 7 inchers from Samsung etc. That will be a key point. A lot of people think the current crop of 16:9 7 inchers are too small and fiddly. Apple could be hitting a huge sweet spot here if they get the pricing right.

A German website hinted that there may be a 8gb model for €249. I keep my iPad 2 at home where I access everything via the network, the 16gb is wasted apart from apps like GTA, FIFA and the iWork suite.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Luke-m

If you have an Apple TV you might be able to watch live. Its under the apple events icon on the Apple TV. Its showing as starting at 10am, which is 6pm here.

Don't ask me why but I thought the event was tomorrow :D Think I'm just used to Wedneaday events. Handy finally being able to live stream it. Instead of live blogs.

Most sites are reporting this as almost certain. But some say the iPad could actually get an update. Which I wouldn't be too happy about since my iPad is only over 6 months old. They're supposed to update to lightening and update the LTE too. Which I wouldn't mind at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Working tonight so going to miss all the fun. :(

Looking forward to the new iTunes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Their store page is down and being updated at the moment...

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

The only thing I want in the world is an Apple TV SDK, but I suppose that's not going to happen. :P

• Advertisement

solarith wrote: »
    The only thing I want in the world is an Apple TV SDK, but I suppose that's not going to happen. :P

I'd say Apple could announce that at WWDC 13 if at all. I doubt it will be today, as its mainly aimed towards Education. Mini iPad, iBooks 3. Also Mac updates. And iTunes hopefully.

Advertisement