Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple Announce Event For October 23rd (iPad Mini Announcement))

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,918 ✭✭✭Soarer

SK1979 wrote: »
    €389 now (or were they ever €379?). However, its still a fantastic price for a great piece of kit, get on it people. I wouldn't say they have much stock at that price.

They'll have a lot more in the next few weeks if they're trading them back for the new 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

ArthurG wrote: »
    If someone wants a Kindle I'd get them a Kindle. For reading books there's no beating it with any tablet, unless they intended using the 'browser' on it too. Paperwhite is going on sale in UK soon too.

She's already waited a month past her birthday to see if the iPad Mini was a good buy or not (with specs AND price weighing against it she said "What a waste of money". Too true.), so waiting until December is a no-go.
    She does play games, read and use FB/Twitter/web on her phone, so jumping up to a 7" tab for a relatively small price increase seemed a handy upgrade.

I dunno, if she doesn't use the Nexus for anything else, she can sell it off and get the Paperwhite and have money left over for shopping (cliched favourite hobby).

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

squonk wrote: »
    **SOB** :(
    I know, I have one as well. I don't at all feel cheated or disappointed there's a successor out, why would I? But I'll tell whoever will listen to get the 3 for that price - it's great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

SK1979 wrote: »
    €389 now (or were they ever €379?). However, its still a fantastic price for a great piece of kit, get on it people. I wouldn't say they have much stock at that price.

The €389 refurbished Ipad 2s are gone now. I was interested to get one for my nephew at that price but by the time my sister returned my call they were gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

solarith wrote: »
    Best thing about everything is iPad 3rd generation is now €379 refurbished, buy buy buy !

Bought bought bought! Great value

• Advertisement

Gallant_JJ wrote: »
    Bought bought bought! Great value

So you got the one I had my eye on then? Ba^Ta$D...!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

So you got the one I had my eye on then? Ba^Ta$D...!!!!

Delivery scheduled for Friday too. Sweeeet.

Gallant_JJ wrote: »
    Delivery scheduled for Friday too. Sweeeet.

Nice one. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

they're still available on the apple store... my girlfriend is going to san francisco in a couple of weeks, might trey get her to get a refurbished one over there, would be even cheaper!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭hollytrees

I was holding out for the launch of i pad mini to decide whether or not to get it, the price helped me to decide I reckon i'd be better to get ipad 4 now.

I will just be using it for browsing at home so figure I'd be better with bigger screen with retina display for not much more money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

I'd also like to admit I recommended a friend to buy a refurbished iPad 3 last week, it only delivered yesterday ! Whoops ! *lol*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Ive to pre-order an iPad 4 for my cousin.
    Wish i was ordering for myself. Im seriously considering the Mini for after xmas but the lack of retina screen is throwing me off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭baldshin

I got a refurb iPad two about two weeks ago for €379, after three days the screen went haywire so got sent back. Still haven't received a replacement, wonder what are my chances if I call them and request a refurb iPad 3 instead??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭TheFullDuck

Ordered a refurb iPad 3 there, 380 is good value when they're going for 400+ on done deal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I was waiting for the Mini to get it as a gift for a family member. However the price is bonkers so I'm defecting to another tablet!

I really don't understand the Mini. Very few iPad users will 'upgrade' to it and those with money to burn may get one to have one. But the price of it is bonkers.

Then again the price increases across most products is poxy too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Putting aside the inflated Euro price (which is largely down to Irish VAT and a decrease in the value of the Euro), I think $329 is a good price for the Mini. $299 would have been better and it's a shame Apple wouldn't go that low, but as has always been the case, Apple have no interest in competing at the low-end of the market. They are quite happy to let cheaply made, heavily subsidised loss-leaders dominate there while they take the profitable high-end. The Mini isn't targeted at people looking for a cheap tablet, it's targeted at people looking for a cheap iPad. The question is whether they will feel the iPad is worth the premium. I think they will. But it might be a different story a year or two from now when Apple's tablet competitors are truly nipping at their heels.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Oh and Apple's Q4 earnings call is today. I'm hoping we might see iTunes 11 released afterwards. If not it will probably be next Wednesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Oh and Apple's Q4 earnings call is today. I'm hoping we might see iTunes 11 released afterwards. If not it will probably be next Wednesday.

Was thinking they might announce it at the call but for the life of me couldn't remember the date. Friday would be a usual apple release date. Plus they're running out of October which was the month of release.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

P The Mini isn't targeted at people looking for a cheap tablet, it's targeted at people looking for a cheap iPad. The question is whether they will feel the iPad is worth the premium. I think they will.

Judging from my trip to Argos yesterday, there were a lot of people waiting for the iPad Mini, saw the price and bought a Nexus 7 instead.
    The lady I was speaking to said they'd sold loads that day (she was confused by the sudden spike in interest), and I got the second last one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Ordered a refurb iPad 3 there, 380 is good value when they're going for 400+ on done deal.

I assume you mean on the US site. I cant find any refurb on apple.ie. You got any links for where you got your refurb ?

I assume you mean on the US site. I cant find any refurb on apple.ie. You got any links for where you got your refurb ?

http://store.apple.com/ie/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭Elessar

The mini looks really nice, but, like the iPad before it, I cannot justify buying it. I have my Macbook Pro at home for browsing and everything else, and my iPhone 5 for browsing and checking email out and about. The iPad doesn't fit anywhere into that and I'm not spending €339 to "find out"!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

baldshin wrote: »
    I got a refurb iPad two about two weeks ago for €379, after three days the screen went haywire so got sent back. Still haven't received a replacement, wonder what are my chances if I call them and request a refurb iPad 3 instead??

They normally don't replace refurbs due to uncertainty with stock. If you ring them, they should refund you no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

So is anyone planning on getting one of these in a shop on Friday? There has been an awful lack of talk about since the online orders went in.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Ambp

Jimdagym wrote: »
    So is anyone planning on getting one of these in a shop on Friday? There has been an awful lack of talk about since the online orders went in.

Yeah, will anywhere actually have them in stock in the morning? I want to pick up a 32GB Mini but can't find any info online about if anywhere in Dublin is selling…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,897 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Just picked up my 4th gen iPad :D

Seeing the Mini in the flesh, it's too small for me and the lack of retina is a big downside.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Just picked up my 4th gen iPad :D

Seeing the Mini in the flesh, it's too small for me and the lack of retina is a big downside.

Did you hold the mini?
    Is it really a let down screen wise?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭silverwood

I picked up my iPad Mini from PC World in Cork this morning. They had 15 units delivered, all of the 16Gb wifi ones.

On first impressions, I am seriously impressed. It is an extremely well engineered device, very nice lines and perfectly balanced.

I already have an iPad 3rd gen with retina display and I was VERY concerned about the lack of retina on the iPad Mini. To be honest, it is not as big an issue as I had imagined. Of course, it is not as crisp as a retina screen but it is very acceptable for the little bit that I've done with it this morning. I might change my mind as time goes on but on first impressions it will not be a problem for me.

It feels very light and actually makes my regular iPad feel quite clumsy and heavy. Overall, I love it and I'm very impressed. In terms of build quality there is NO comparison between the iPad Mini and the Google Nexus 7 or the Amazon Kindle Fire HD. The large price difference is somewhat justified here but I would still have preferred the €299 starting price point.

Maybe when the novelty subsides I will start picking up on some negatives but as long as the non retina screen is a non event then TBH there's not much I can fault here.

Advertisement