Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple Announce Event For October 23rd (iPad Mini Announcement))

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Bah! Getting stupid now with the prices of everything going up.

Stupid christmas make everything dearer. Plus apple being GREEDY BASTARDS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

Had been thinking of getting a Nexus 7 for the other half for chrimbo.
    Then the roumours of this cropped up and I said I'd hold out to see what was on offer.

We do a max spend for each other of 250 and if the ipad mini had came in at 300 I would have stretched to the extra and taken the short lived ear bashing but €340??? Really???

Honestly dont think it justifies the extra dosh and i think alot of people feel the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Kindle Fire HD 16GB is €200. The only thing the iPad mini wins at is having that 0.9 inch extra screen space. Worth €140 more? Nope.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Could I use a us mail forwarding company to get it cheaper?

IMHO no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

feelpablo wrote: »
    Had been thinking of getting a Nexus 7 for the other half for chrimbo.
    Then the roumours of this cropped up and I said I'd hold out to see what was on offer.

We do a max spend for each other of 250 and if the ipad mini had came in at 300 I would have stretched to the extra and taken the short lived ear bashing but €340??? Really???

Honestly dont think it justifies the extra dosh and i think alot of people feel the same.

It's debatable whether it is even worthy of a comparison with Nexus 7. Lower resolution screen and much older processor. Then you bring price into the equation...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Just watched the ipad mini clip.

Jesus they really do talk some dump.

"We didnt just make the current ipad smaller"

Why not????

"Ah Sure we'll give them a smaller old version of the iPad"

They really are loosing the plot.

All sounds rushed TBH!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here but isn't the American price quoted always the base price, i.e. without tax so if you were buying in the States you'd end up paying the $329 plus whatever the sales tax is in the state you're in?

$329 = €253 give or take at today's rate.

Our price of €339 includes the 23% sales tax which means our base price is really around €275.

So we're really only paying around €22 more (again give or take a bit for rounding up) which isn't too much considering.

So to say we're paying nealry €90 more probably isn't comparing like with like. Where we lose out is that sales tax in the States is usually in the range of 4-8% and might be a lot less in some places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,256 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Was planing on maybe taking the mini as a replacement for my Ipod as the screen is broke and they only do 32GB now in ipod touch 5th generation, ah well just have to continue to use this ipod and look to get a new screen

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭rodgered

Where the feck has the iPad 3 gone in the apple shop?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

It's debatable whether it is even worthy of a comparison with Nexus 7. Lower resolution screen and much older processor. Then you bring price into the equation...

Ah yeah agree completley its just that she has an iphone 3gs and has used my ipad2 so it would have been fairly user friendly for her...
    But it looks like Im gonna have to show her the ropes to either the nexus or the kindle fire!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

rodgered wrote: »
    Where the feck has the iPad 3 gone in the apple shop?!

Replaced by iPad 4 so that you need to buy all new cables if you're upgrading!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Was planing on maybe taking the mini as a replacement for my Ipod as the screen is broke and they only do 32GB now in ipod touch 5th generation, ah well just have to continue to use this ipod and look to get a new screen

The new iPod touch represents far worse value IMO. 320 as a starting price is mental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here but isn't the American price quoted always the base price, i.e. without tax so if you were buying in the States you'd end up paying the $329 plus whatever the sales tax is in the state you're in?

$329 = €253 give or take at today's rate.

Our price of €339 includes the 23% sales tax which means our base price is really around €275.

So we're really only paying around €22 more (again give or take a bit for rounding up) which isn't too much considering.

So to say we're paying nealry €90 more probably isn't comparing like with like. Where we lose out is that sales tax in the States is usually in the range of 4-8% and might be a lot less in some places.

Stop trying to convince yourself we are not been ripped off! WE ARE!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,027 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yeah, that's an absolutely hideous price for the iPad Mini.

€60 more for the regular iPad - it's a no brainer!

But while we're at it - was looking on the Apple Store and iPod Touches (32GB) start at €329? Christ, never realised they were so expensive. Suppose since they've cameras now and all... it's justified. But yeah, that's pricey too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

hmm, was looking to upgrade to a 13 inch mbp with retina, but it only allows for 8Gb RAM, balls to that.

Stop trying to convince yourself we are not been ripped off! WE ARE!!

Is anything I said wrong though? I'm not trying to stick up for Apple or anything and if my maths/logic are wrong please correct me but if there is only €20 or so in the difference when you compare the items without tax, I don't think it's a rip off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭JoeA3

It'll still sell by the truck load, they always do!

Bit annoying that my ipad3 is "old" after only 6 months, but aside from the lightening connector and a faster (debatable in the real world?) processor, the 4 looks the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

Is anything I said wrong though? I'm not trying to stick up for Apple or anything and if my maths/logic are wrong please correct me but if there is only €20 or so in the difference when you compare the items without tax, I don't think it's a rip off.

Well yes you are sticking up for Apple really deep deep down you know you are:p They are Ripping everyone off at those prices for a scaled down iPad 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,256 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

The new iPod touch represents far worse value IMO. 320 as a starting price is mental.

Think i will just look to get screen on the one i have fixed just a simple 4th gen 8GB model

Well yes you are sticking up for Apple really deep deep down you know you are:p They are Ripping everyone off at those prices for a scaled down iPad 2.

Yes fair enough on that point but I was on about the difference between the Irish store price and the American store price which if converted looks like we're getting screwed compared to them.

As for the price in general, yes I agree it is very expensive but no one's forcing anyone to buy them (well until kids see the ads and nag their parents to get them one for Christmas)

• Advertisement

JoeA3 wrote: »

Sure look at this thread already for the evidence. Somebody saying that the mini would be too small but once they saw it with an Apple logo they realised it was just right. Others criticising will come around and until people stop paying the 50% Apple logo tax Apple will keep on this path.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭NetNinja

JoeA3 wrote: »

Bit annoying that my ipad3 is "old" after only 6 months, but aside from the lightening connector and a faster (debatable in the real world?) processor, the 4 looks the same.

Problem is our new ipad 3's are worth less already. As much as I like apple stuff I do think they are pushing their luck refreshing a product after barely 6 months. Makes me wonder if there will be a new retina ipad mini soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Ah its not really ipad4 just changed the connecter and increased the price and kept the same name as ipad3. I dont think anyone with 3 can say its old tech.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭beardo81

It's just classic Apple when you think about it. Trying to compete on form factor this time though, not price. You can be certain this will sell by the shedload and by the next keynote they will be quoting the millions they have sold. Look at the iPhone 5, their most expensive version of the phone yet and it's sold out everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

I got a 3 the launch week and even though the new one has a minor spec bump it doesn't detract from the performance of the 3. I was (and still am) very happy with the piece of kit, people seem to be just annoyed that they don't have the latest toy, build a bridge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

Slap a retina display on it and the price would be justifiable but sure just wait 6 months and you'll see that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

NetNinja wrote: »

Problem is our new ipad 3's are worth less already. As much as I like apple stuff I do think they are pushing their luck refreshing a product after barely 6 months. Makes me wonder if there will be a new retina ipad mini soon!
    Worthless??? Ok ill give you a fiver for it so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

beardo81 wrote: »
    Look at the iPhone 5, their most expensive version of the phone yet and it's sold out everywhere.
    That's just Apple's standared supply chain where they restrict production to build up the fever for it.

The iP5 isn't comparable here really. The iP5 is still top of the line against its competitors - no the S3 isn't a million miles ahead of it, the S3 is inferior in many respects. Plus the iP5 is actually priced at the same level as the S3 and the Lumia 920.

However the iPad mini, unless we're missing something, is priced more than 50% above its competitors and it appears to just barely compete with them. The smaller tablet market is aimed at price-conscious users and people new to the tablet market. Price will be one of their main focusses and the iPad mini doesn't appear to offer anything extra for its insane price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭NetNinja

adamski8 wrote: »
    Ah its not really ipad4 just changed the connecter and increased the price and kept the same name as ipad3. I dont think anyone with 3 can say its old tech.

So Apple are not calling it the ipad 4 then? The impression I got from engaget's live blog was that it's the fourth gen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Pity about the price.

Advertisement