Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple Announce Event For October 23rd (iPad Mini Announcement))

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭NetNinja

adamski8 wrote: »
    Worthless??? Ok ill give you a fiver for it so.

Worth less, not worthless ;o)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

NetNinja wrote: »

So Apple are not calling it the ipad 4 then? The impression I got from engaget's live blog was that it's the fourth gen.
    Well the third one was called 'ipad' and its been replaced by the fourth version but is still called 'ipad'. So looks like they just wanted to get all their products with the new connector and ever so slighty increase the speed and price while their at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I'm still impressed with what Apple introduce at every keynote. They still make not only the best devices imo but also the nicest. And every keynote I'm genuinely impressed with what they announce.

But the way they have gotten with their prices is too much. After every Keynote they've been bumping prices up despite their billions in the bank.

Recently they increased the price on the iPhone 5, iPod Classic, iPod Touch, iPad, iMac, Macbook Pro Retina 13", Mac Mini & now introducing the new mini at that price. I know some are complete design changes but it's still pushing the price higher than the previous model. It's just blatant greed. I understand it's all about profits. But that's really pushing it to extremes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Well companies only charge less so more people will buy and hence more overall profits. Business is basically based on greed isnt it. If people dont buy it they will lower their prices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭beardo81

seamus wrote: »
    That's just Apple's standared supply chain where they restrict production to build up the fever for it.

The iP5 isn't comparable here really. The iP5 is still top of the line against its competitors - no the S3 isn't a million miles ahead of it, the S3 is inferior in many respects. Plus the iP5 is actually priced at the same level as the S3 and the Lumia 920.

However the iPad mini, unless we're missing something, is priced more than 50% above its competitors and it appears to just barely compete with them. The smaller tablet market is aimed at price-conscious users and people new to the tablet market. Price will be one of their main focusses and the iPad mini doesn't appear to offer anything extra for its insane price.

Totally agree with you on that it's only on par with its rivals technically, better in some ways and inferior in others. And the price is too much I agree with too. But it has something they don't, it's an Apple iPad. So like it or not, and for the record I don't, but this thing will sell, and sell well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

The only thing I was interested in this Keynote for was software updates. Now new iOS or OS X bugfixes updates, no iTunes 11. iBooks 3 isn't available yet either. Nothing good in it for me really :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Gutted about the price. I was hoping for a price of €249 at entry level. I was hoping to buy one for my 8 year old from Santa. I was pushing it at an approx price of €249 for an 8 year old.:eek: However the €339 price makes it complete insanity for a Santa pressie. Doesn't it? :confused: The kids' tablets don't come close to an Apple product so I see any iPad as a much better investment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Go back in time-machine--->2006--->€339 present for 8year-old=Normal.

Get the kid a Kindle Fire or Nexus 7 and a good case, no reason for a child to luxuriate with an iPad. Unless you've locked them out of the foie gras cupboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

I was really considering getting a tablet over the last few weeks and decided to hold out today to see what the Ipad mini will be like.. they can forget it at that price though.

Hopefully the next Google nexus tablet will have expandable memory
    If so, its a winner!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

10" iPad gone up by €30. If you're planning to buy a new iPad, I'd nearly get one now. Don't think the new updates justify the €30 hike.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Dman001 wrote: »
    10" iPad gone up by €30. If you're planning to buy a new iPad, I'd nearly get one now. Don't think the new updates justify the €30 hike.

I'd nearly agree, but for the sake of €30, i'd buy the 4th generation, if anything for the A6 chip and faster/stronger processing. Plus you will more than make up the €30 difference, if you need to sell a year or 2 down the line.

Its just the fact that its €509 thats the killer, it breaks the €500 mark, you would get a super laptop for that money, if it was 499, it would look and seem better value.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

DubDJ wrote: »
    I'm still impressed with what Apple introduce at every keynote. They still make not only the best devices imo but also the nicest. And every keynote I'm genuinely impressed with what they announce.

But the way they have gotten with their prices is too much. After every Keynote they've been bumping prices up despite their billions in the bank.

Recently they increased the price on the iPhone 5, iPod Classic, iPod Touch, iPad, iMac, Macbook Pro Retina 13", Mac Mini & now introducing the new mini at that price. I know some are complete design changes but it's still pushing the price higher than the previous model. It's just blatant greed. I understand it's all about profits. But that's really pushing it to extremes.

All those price increases are due to fluctuations in the value of the Euro, which isn't worth what it was a year ago. That's why the iPhone, iPad, iMac, Mini, etc is more expensive in Europe. The US prices have stayed the same. If things are better at the next refresh the prices will drop again, or if they are worse they'll go up again. Apple's business is based on the dollar, so that's just the way it goes unfortunately.

Is the retina display on the mini or some variant of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

When/Will the iPad 2 drop in price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭beardo81

kceire wrote: »

Nope, same as the iPad 2 but smaller!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭pedatron

Gallant_JJ wrote: »
    When/Will the iPad 2 drop in price?

Being discontinued I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭boreder

The iPad 2 isn't being discontinued.

the iPad lineup is now - iPad mini, iPad 2, iPad with Retina Display

beardo81 wrote: »
    Nope, same as the iPad 2 but smaller!

Be hard gong back to standard display if your use to iPhone 4/5.
    Makes me think ill save a bit longer and buy an iPad 4 instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

€339 for the entry level Mini represents very poor value IMHO. They are definitely keeping it out of the Christmas market at that price, a full size iPad can be had for a little more and I see no real advantage to the mini other than its pokey size. It's not like the iPad 2/3 is a monstrosity!

Refurb store in January might be best bet for the mini I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭boreder

Be hard gong back to standard display if your use to iPhone 4/5.
    Makes me think ill save a bit longer and buy an iPad 4 instead.

The iPad mini display would have improved pixels per inch over the iPad 2, so will look clearer. It's a good bit lower then 'retina' though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No, it's a larger screen at a lower resolution than the Nexus 7. The Nexus will look noticeably sharper.

seamus wrote: »
    No, it's a larger screen at a lower resolution than the Nexus 7. The Nexus will look noticeably sharper.

What's the PPI on the nexus versus the iPad mini?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Pretty pissed off iPad 3rd gen owner right now.

Shelf life of 8 months is awful! I've only had mine 3 months and it's already out of date. I could've lived with the lightning connector upgrade but to also do the processor is a kick in the teeth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭nantony98

$329 plus sales tax is $362. This converts to about €279. So you could save €60 if you know someone going stateside.

Even at this price Im put off. Screen isnt great compared to nexus 7 and dont forget the nexus 16gb could be €199 in a few short weeks! Thats €140 difference between it and the ipad mini!!!

Also be interesting to see what they flog the current ipad (3?) for in the shops to clear stock?

I for one will be waiting to see what the nexus 7 does next.

Shelf life of 8 months is awful! I've only had mine 3 months and it's already out of date. I could've lived with the lightning connector upgrade but to also do the processor is a kick in the teeth.

Feel for ya man, iPad 4 was a total shock during that keynote, there was no rumours or nothing about it was there!
    nantony98 wrote: »

Also be interesting to see what they flog the current ipad (3?) for in the shops to clear stock?

Interesting theory but do they sell them off or send them back to apple for credit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Honestly, How big is this guys hand

vU3hq.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What's the PPI on the nexus versus the iPad mini?
    216ppi -v- 163ppi, 25% less. Same ppi as the iPhone 3G, incidentally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭shanec1928

ours is only in the house less than two months. but good thing its the mothers and she wont know the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Edited due to untimeliness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭redman85

Advertisement