Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple Announce Event For October 23rd (iPad Mini Announcement))

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Pretty pissed off iPad 3rd gen owner right now.

Shelf life of 8 months is awful! I've only had mine 3 months and it's already out of date. I could've lived with the lightning connector upgrade but to also do the processor is a kick in the teeth.

Has your iPad 3rd Gen suddenly stopped working now the new one has been announced? Does it suddenly not do what you purchased it to do?

Should I be concerned about continuing to use my iPad 3 now it's gone past its shelf life? Are there health implications? ;)

Seriously though, if you really must have the latest model sell the iPad 3. Unlike many (most) of the Android tablets your current iPad will have a reasonable resale value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭NetNinja

adamski8 wrote: »
    Well the third one was called 'ipad' and its been replaced by the fourth version but is still called 'ipad'. So looks like they just wanted to get all their products with the new connector and ever so slighty increase the speed and price while their at it.

It's an upgraded processor so I w ould regard that as more t han a slight speed increase tbh.

I just feel that the resale value of my ipad 3 is now a lot less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

Graham wrote: »
    Has your iPad 3rd Gen suddenly stopped working now the new one has been announced? Does it suddenly not do what you purchased it to do?

Should I be concerned about continuing to use my iPad 3 now it's gone past its shelf life? Are there health implications? ;)

Seriously though, if you really must have the latest model sell the iPad 3. Unlike many (most) of the Android tablets your current iPad will have a reasonable resale value.

Fanbois want the latest and greatest!

NetNinja wrote: »
    It's an upgraded processor so I w ould regard that as more t han a slight speed increase tbh.

I just feel that the resale value of my ipad 3 is now a lot less.

I would guess the resale value is now slightly less than it was a few hours ago, I certainly wouldn't expect it to be substantially less.

Look on the bright side, you could have bought a cheap Android tablet that has a resale value close to zero the second you hand over your cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Yes to all of the above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭nantony98

I am not suggesting for a second that this would be near the quality of the ipad mini but the specs are really similar.... Except the price!

Cube U9GT3 Dual Core RK3066 8 inch IPS 16GB
    Specification:
    Model: Cube U9GT3
    Operating System: Android 4.0.4 OS
    CPU: Rockchip RK3066, Dual Core, ARM Cortex A9 1.6 GHz
    GPU: Mali 400 4 Core
    RAM: 1GB DDR3
    Hard Drive Capacity: 16GB
    Screen Size: 8 inch ,
    Display Technology: IPS touch screen
    Max Resolution: 1024*768 pixel

Touch Screen: G+G IPS 5-Points Multi-Touch Screen
    Camera: Front Camera: 0.3 MP
    Back cover: Metal

Cost $139

http://www.cube-tablet.com/cube-u9gt3-dual-core-16gb.html

nantony98 wrote: »
    I am not suggesting for a second that this would be near the quality of the ipad mini but the specs are really similar.... Except the price!

Cost $139

A quality engineered product I'm sure. I think Apple use a slightly higher quality duct tape to assemble the iPad Mini.

Here's some inside shots of the U9GT3 :eek:

http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/35069-u9gt3-oem-rk3066-is-available/

I wonder what the resale value of it will be in 8 months time?

Eh, who cares. In 8 months if its worth zero (probable) then youve lost one third of the cost of the ipad mini. Who here hasnt spent over €100 on a saturday night. Id rather have the cube tab than a hangover.

Anyway my point is with economy of scale apple must be able to make the ipad mini quite cheaply if random chinese factory can make this for<$139.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Cube U9GT3 Dual Core RK3066 8 inch IPS 16GB
    Specification:
    Model: Cube U9GT3
    Operating System: Android 4.0.4 OS
    CPU: Rockchip RK3066, Dual Core, ARM Cortex A9 1.6 GHz
    GPU: Mali 400 4 Core
    RAM: 1GB DDR3
    Hard Drive Capacity: 16GB
    Screen Size: 8 inch ,
    Display Technology: IPS touch screen
    Max Resolution: 1024*768 pixel

Cost $139

tempting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Why you should not Upgrade to the iPad 4 http://gizmodo.com/5954292/

• Advertisement

It sounded to me like Apple couldnt sell the ipad mini on the specs because they had to rely on old tech( screen ) instead they rubbished android apps. The competitions hardware is better. I would still be tempted because I like apple products but the ipad mini is too dear for what you get.

Shame really.

Eh, who cares. In 8 months if its worth zero (probable) then youve lost one third of the cost of the ipad mini. Who here hasnt spent over €100 on a saturday night. Id rather have the cube tab than a hangover.

Anyway my point is with economy of scale apple must be able to make the ipad mini quite cheaply if random chinese factory can make this for<$139.

With economies of scale, BMW and Mercedes should be able to make cars quite cheaply. Much like Apple, they probably could if they were interested in chasing the lower/disposable end of the market.

They're no interested, so they don't. I fail to see your point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Not that I have any intention of upgrading but as an iPad 3 purchaser on release day its a disgrace to have a new one out already.

Pity they didnt spend their time fixing the ios6 bug thats making my iPad drop wifi connection constantly instead of rushing out products to rob more fools of their money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Am getting a 7 inch tablet and was keen on an iPad Mini. But at that combination of price and specs I couldn't even consider buying one. I have a two year old iPod touch with a retina screen, it's unbelievable that a new apple tablet being released next month still won't have that technology - especially when the price point is compared to the Nexus.

This time next month there will almost certainly be a 32GB Nexus on the market for the same price as the current 16GB one. The 16GB one will go to €199. As a hybrid Apple/Android type person up to now (iPod touch & Android phone) I was willing to pay a little more for the slightly better product plus app store access that you usually get with a new apple product launch. But their iPad mini price is crazy for what you get. There will surely be a retina version early next year, this effort looks to be just a quick fix for the Christmas market and will probably be outdated in six months (although without retina it seems outdated already).

Definitely a Nexus 7 for me now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

*IPad 2 owner sitting here, quietly sniggering at disgruntled recent IPad 3 upgraders :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭TheTwiz

When is the iPad being released? I might try and get a cheap ipad2 then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

I see Apple's Share price has dropped this morning....cnn reports suggest its beacuse the ipad mini price is too high.

With economies of scale, BMW and Mercedes should be able to make cars quite cheaply. Much like Apple, they probably could if they were interested in chasing the lower/disposable end of the market.

They're no interested, so they don't. I fail to see your point.

My point is, and let me be clear here, it is too expensive for what you get.

Ahhh, this must be Apples new strategy of not competing on price. I'm surprised they've managed to keep that approach under wraps for so long.

You could always buy a cheaper tablet from an alternative vendor. That massive amount of personal data Google is pimping on your behalf has to be worth a discount on the hardware.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

pippip wrote: »
    I see Apple's Share price has dropped this morning....cnn reports suggest its beacuse the ipad mini price is too high.

Apple shares always fall after a big announcement. They rise in anticipation on the run-up to the event and then drop in disappointment. The only major exceptions to this were the original iPhone and the iPad 2.

• Advertisement

Apple love bringing out a new product and keeping the same price as the outgoing model. I think thats why this is expensive. In 6 months when the retina version comes out the price wont seem so unrealistic.

My advice is hold out people. Let the early adopters buy these up, and they will. Then buy the updated version in a few months.

Apple love bringing out a new product and keeping the same price as the outgoing model. I think thats why this is expensive. In 6 months when the retina version comes out the price wont seem so unrealistic.

My advice is hold out people. Let the early adopters buy these up, and they will. Then buy the updated version in a few months.

But in 6 months time you'll only be 6 month away from the even newer version. Should you not wait for that one?

But in 6 months time you'll only be 6 month away from the even newer version. Should you not wait for that one?

It depends, for me no. If the mini was released with a better screen id be all over it. It would then be a premium product at a premium price, fine. I would have the tablet that suited my needs and i would feel no reason to upgrade. (I might want to but I wouldnt need to)
    A newer faster product does not make the previous version older and slower. Ipad 3 owners would do well to remember that.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭boreder

You need to remember that with the €339, you're not just paying for the manufacturing costs of the device. You're paying for the work and deveolpment that went into it as well. There's a reason it's thinner and better looking then the $140 tablet above. I would hazard a guess that is infinitely better finished, too.

You're also buying into the Apple eco-system. There are 275,000 apps made specifically for that screen size. That alone, makes the mini attractive, in my opinion. These are all apps that have been tested and approved by Apple, so that they deliver a user experience you would associate with an Apple product. Better then chancing your arm using a scaled up phone app on an Android device, in my opinion.

It makes shag all difference about the 'spec' of the iPad. Once it runs the iOS comfortably (and it will), what odds does it make? Absolutely none.

The screen not being retina.... I'll pass judgement once I see one! I use an iPad 2 everyday and the screen is perfectly fine. Shrink it down in size, keep the same pixels and reduce the travel, it should be pretty great.

I won't buy a mini,but I just don't think it should be dismissed as quickly as it is. Cutting your nose off despite your face going to Android because the price is €30 more then you thought it would be.

I wonder does yesterdays announcement signify a shift to 6 month product refreshes or is it just moving the annual refresh to October in time for the Christmas sales boost.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It depends, for me no. If the mini was released with a better screen id be all over it. It would then be a premium product at a premium price, fine. I would have the tablet that suited my needs and i would feel no reason to upgrade. (I might want to but I wouldnt need to)
    A newer faster product does not make the previous version older and slower. Ipad 3 owners would do well to remember that.

+1if the mini had the retina screen I'd seriously consider it over an iPad 4. But I think I'll keep saving for the full version. Although the mini looks great.

I can see the iPad 5 getting an overhaul in the new year to match the current styling of the mini and iPhone 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I wonder does yesterdays announcement signify a shift to 6 month product refreshes or is it just moving the annual refresh to October in time for the Christmas sales boost.

There were constant rumours that the ipad 2 was to have a very short shelf life as well. I never put much stock in them and the issues with the retina screen development just seemed like a coincidence. Now I'm not so sure.

I think we will see one of two things happening here:

1) a new annual refresh cycle based on new iPads being being announced around October each year in time for Christmas.
    2) smaller incremental updates being released on a more frequent basis.

I suspect the former, as frequent updates would significantly dilute the marketing opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭boreder

I dunno Graham, the March release of the iPad is the beginning of the 2nd half of the Apple financial year. If they refresh the iPhone and iPad so close together, the second half of the year would be quiet, results-wise.

They may have something else planned for then, though. You never kow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,918 ✭✭✭Soarer

Brother-in-law got a 64gb iPad 3 for his 40th birthday 3 weeks ago, and was going around like the cat that got the cream.
    Gonna turn that cream sour on him later! ;)

Advertisement