Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple Announce Event For October 23rd (iPad Mini Announcement))

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Soarer wrote: »
    Brother-in-law got a 64gb iPad 3 for his 40th birthday 3 weeks ago, and was going around like the cat that got the cream.
    Gonna turn that cream sour on him later! ;)

Why??? He has a 64gb iPad 3???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I never understood being annoyed that a newer version of your purchase exists. Product X had these specs at this time with this functionality, and you were happy to pay for it. Just because a new one exists doesn't mean anything for your old product. You got what you were happy to pay for at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,918 ✭✭✭Soarer

'Cause it's not an iPad 4!

dodzy wrote: »
    *IPad 2 owner sitting here, quietly sniggering at disgruntled recent IPad 3 upgraders :D

Yes, because you wisely predicted this all in advance. Now that's worth sniggering about.

'Cause it's not an iPad 4!

He should throw it away now because he is a substandard and inadequate human being!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

boreder wrote: »
    I dunno Graham, the March release of the iPad is the beginning of the 2nd half of the Apple financial year. If they refresh the iPhone and iPad so close together, the second half of the year would be quiet, results-wise.

They may have something else planned for then, though. You never kow.

Good point, that makes me wonder if we will see separate refresh points for the iPad and the iPad mini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,918 ✭✭✭Soarer

FutureGuy wrote: »
    He should throw it away now because he is a substandard and inadequate human being!

He was inadequate and substandard before he got the 3. That brought him up to adequate and standard, but he's gone back down now.

If you can't laugh at other people's misfortune, there's no hope for any of us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

I'm a fan of Apple products (we have a heap of Apple stuff at home – too embarrassing to list them all)…but I'm genuinely curious - why would anybody want/need an iPad mini?

I bought an iPad 1 on launch day. I wasn’t sure what to expect. It figured it was a novelty product, but would at least be more user friendly than a laptop for web surfing. Worst case, if it started gathering dust, I’d stick it on adverts.ie.

It turned out to be money well spent. It has been used every day since we got it. While it rarely leaves the house, the huge variety of apps mean it’s a web portal, TV, music player, newspaper, remote control, book reader, games machine, etch-a-sketch & god knows what else. The kids (5-9 yrs) love it. Anybody who comes into the house loves it.

My iPhone also does all of the above (with varying degrees of success due to smaller screen size). However, it also makes phone calls, fits in my pocket and goes everywhere with me.

The iPad mini though? I just don’t get it. Maybe if it made phone calls, it would make more sense (although you’d need big pockets to carry it around). But who’s actually going to pay €339 for what is effectively a smaller iPad 2? Why not pay the extra €60 and get the full size iPad 2?

Having said that, the new iMac looks amazing (but pricey). The new MBP is a decent upgrade (but again, pricey). Nice to see they’ve updated the Mac mini – it’s the undisputed hidden gem of the Apple line-up.

And another thing - why did they bother releasing the iPad 3 at all? Even at the time, it didn’t seem like a great update, but replacing it after 7 months will (rightly or wrongly) annoy many of those who bought one.

Maybe I’m just getting old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

I wonder if the timing of the event and release of an ipad 4 a shot across Microsoft's bow. With the release of surface this may have just been Apple's way of throwing rain on Microsoft's parade.

That said I was always surprised at the March release date for ipad's as it probably impacted on Holiday sales as most people may have resisted buying one as a present knowing that a new one was only a few months away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Actually, it's nothing like it at all. We're talking here about a luxury gadget worth a few hundred euro that's been slightly upgraded, not a mortgage on a property in negative equity that costs hundreds of thousands of euro and pushes ordinary people into poverty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

ZV Yoda wrote: »
    I'm genuinely curious - why would anybody want/need an iPad mini?
    Same reasons anybody wants any 7" tab.

Much more convenient size/weight. Reading in bed or on the bus? The 10" is cumbersome in bed and there's not a hope I'm ever taking it out to read on a bus considering the levels of scobe infestation here.

What we thought might be a much better price. Oh well!
    Gonna be buying a Nexus 7 for my girlfriend now (she only wanted a Kindle), gives me an extra €100 to play with!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

banquo wrote: »
    I never understood being annoyed that a newer version of your purchase exists. Product X had these specs at this time with this functionality, and you were happy to pay for it. Just because a new one exists doesn't mean anything for your old product. You got what you were happy to pay for at the time.
    I agree in cases like mine where I bought the new iPad on launch day. I've had 6 fantastic months to enjoy with it rather than waiting.

But if you bought in the last month you'd be sick because you could have got the new model for what you paid for the old model. It's not that your existing product is obsolete, it's that if you waited just that bit longer you could have the newer, better version which will also be worth more when you go to sell it on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

I'm a fan of Apple products (we have a heap of Apple stuff at home – too embarrassing to list them all)…but I'm genuinely curious - why would anybody want/need an iPad mini?

I bought an iPad 1 on launch day. I wasn’t sure what to expect. It figured it was a novelty product, but would at least be more user friendly than a laptop for web surfing. Worst case, if it started gathering dust, I’d stick it on adverts.ie.

It turned out to be money well spent. It has been used every day since we got it. While it rarely leaves the house, the huge variety of apps mean it’s a web portal, TV, music player, newspaper, remote control, book reader, games machine, etch-a-sketch & god knows what else. The kids (5-9 yrs) love it. Anybody who comes into the house loves it.

My iPhone also does all of the above (with varying degrees of success due to smaller screen size). However, it also makes phone calls, fits in my pocket and goes everywhere with me.

The iPad mini though? I just don’t get it. Maybe if it made phone calls, it would make more sense (although you’d need big pockets to carry it around). But who’s actually going to pay €339 for what is effectively a smaller iPad 2? Why not pay the extra €60 and get the full size iPad 2?

Having said that, the new iMac looks amazing (but pricey). The new MBP is a decent upgrade (but again, pricey). Nice to see they’ve updated the Mac mini – it’s the undisputed hidden gem of the Apple line-up.

And another thing - why did they bother releasing the iPad 3 at all? Even at the time, it didn’t seem like a great update, but replacing it after 7 months will (rightly or wrongly) annoy many of those who bought one.

Apple are just being defensive, they don't really believe in a 7" ( actually nearer 8) tablet - they had no real plan to release one unless the market turned against them, as it has to a certain extent. If it works at this price, they will be happy, if not they will reduce the price, or introduce a lower end device, i.e. an 8G one at $239, which I imagine is in the sidelines. They possibly could have introduced that yesterday but didn't.

Apple have done this before, cf the first iPhone. It was dying a death - it was reduced by $200.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭cuilteanna

But who’s actually going to pay €339 for what is effectively a smaller iPad 2? Why not pay the extra €60 and get the full size iPad 2?

I *am* old and plan to buy the mini. I sold my iPad 3 because it was uncomfortably heavy and took ages to charge, plus I have a macbook Air that I absolutely adore. The iPhone 4 I have is lovely but the screen can be a bit small for my eyes (the "old" again). So for me the light weight, decent size screen, and the ability to put it in my handbag is a winner.

The price is a major disappointment, but selling the iPad 3 will cover the mini.

I didn't miss your point, I just think it's a poor comparison that people in serious negative equity could be offended by. Gadgets are disposable luxury items at the end of the day and homes are something you'll be paying off most of your life and the cost affects your standard of living.

Anyway, back on topic, I'm a little pissed about the ipad 4, given that if I'd waited a couple of months I could have got a better model for the same price. Would you not be? Lots of people time their upgrades. For example, I've been holding off on replacing my imac as it was predictable the upgrade was on the way. The ipad 3 was only out a couple of months when I bought it so I think it's reasonable not to expect an upgrade for at least a year. I'd say it's human nature to feel a little bit cheated.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭midlouth

Brother-in-law got a 64gb iPad 3 for his 40th birthday 3 weeks ago, and was going around like the cat that got the cream.
    Gonna turn that cream sour on him later! ;)

They supposedly extended their return policy on Ipads to 30 days, tell him to give Apple a buzz and find out can he return it for a cash refund, then upgrade to the newest one.

I'm pretty annoyed, got the Ipad 3 in mid September, knew there was a mini coming out but no interest in it, then they go and spring this!!!

• Advertisement

In a lot of cases it has, they're earning a lot less money to pay the same mortgage. I'm not letting this go until you admit it was a poor comparison. :P

How do you find the Nexus 7? I was hoping to sell on my ipad 3 and get the ipad mini for the same reasons as you but the price has put me off.

Its clear Apple made a huge mistake here. At least 2 people not buying on this thread and getting more meshed in the Android platform. 339 sounds so much more expensive than 299. The sound of the "2" fools you. 250 would have seen them scream out the door.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I doubt it will look like a huge mistake when several million of them fly out of the door between now and the new year. In fact I suspect keeping up with demand will be more of an issue.

Oh, I am sure. That might explain the reluctance to lower prices, going forward they should however. That said if they are anticipating being supply contained it doesn't make any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

Best thing about everything is iPad 3rd generation is now €379 refurbished, buy buy buy !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,679 ✭✭✭squonk

solarith wrote: »
    Best thing about everything is iPad 3rd generation is now €379 refurbished, buy buy buy !

**SOB** :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

grindle wrote: »
    Gonna be buying a Nexus 7 for my girlfriend now (she only wanted a Kindle), gives me an extra €100 to play with!

If someone wants a Kindle I'd get them a Kindle. For reading books there's no beating it with any tablet, unless they intended using the 'browser' on it too. Paperwhite is going on sale in UK soon too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

solarith wrote: »

€389 now (or were they ever €379?). However, its still a fantastic price for a great piece of kit, get on it people. I wouldn't say they have much stock at that price.

• Advertisement

Any online link ( to the 3?)

Advertisement