Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

project maths 2013

• 16-10-2012 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

i'm giving grinds to leaving cert student who will be sitting the exam in 2013. as the sample papers aren't released until end of october, i'm confused as to the curriculum. is paper 2 the same as last year with changes in paper 1 only? is area and volume on the curriculum? i can't seem to get the answers online.

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

HL or OL?

check education.ie and there should be syllabi online there. Or the projectmaths.ie website

• Registered Users Posts: 16 lkavanagh50

its OL. checked education.ie, ncca, examinations.ie and projectmaths.ie and can't find mention of area and volume...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

• Registered Users Posts: 16 lkavanagh50

thanks.. have looked at this document so much and happened to overlook the one thing i'm looking for!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 paul harry

I teach grinds for school age and undergrads. Most sensible lecturers around the world for engineering use "engineering mathematics" by K.a.Stroud to base their course around. I was luckier enough in the late 70's to have this lovely gent as my maths lecturer. During this time and the 80s he caused a revolution the way maths for non maths majors were taught. Like how to use maths with understanding, using a modular self pace techniques. He revised his book 5 times until he died of old age, RIP. Even now new editions with co-authors are being produced and still is regarded the best maths book for engineering undergrad books. There is a foundation intro to cover topics formerly done at school but lost as maths like all subjects as being dumbed down (not just in Ireland!) over the years/ This overlaps the project maths area of concern. I think project maths methods and all, should be revised again and the proven techniques and methods of K.a Stroud brought back before Ireland becomes a technical waste land where project maths will surely lead us!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I have some long list of questions I am dying to ask the project maths guys tomorrow at mathsfest thing and I hope i actually get some answers on project maths

• Registered Users Posts: 3 paul harry

pls ask then why they did go down the well tested world class accepted approach of k.a stroud! All around the world his methods for engineering undergrads - i am sure it could be adapted for the leaving cert. I astonish my students when I show how do things a lot easy than they are taught - just reviewed K.a stroud for Masters course and I though these methods came from my experince but now I can see they came from the way I was taught - K.a.Stroud! Seriously his methods is fully accepted all around the world and came from the late 70's and 80s!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭JackTheGrinder

you are either incredibly passionate about maths or youre a virus

Advertisement