Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beagle puppy problems

• 16-10-2012 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

He's nearly 12 weeks and he still bites. Not hard, but he thinks you're playing when you stroke him so he bites. When I say no he'll stop, but then carry on after a few minutes. He just thinks you're playing all the time

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Macronelf wrote: »
    He's nearly 12 weeks and he still bites. Not hard, but he thinks you're playing when you stroke him so he bites. When I say no he'll stop, but then carry on after a few minutes. He just thinks you're playing all the time
    I'm no expert but from what I learned , anytime my pup done it I just yelped and said no and stopped playing for a few mins if u keep doing that they will know any bites will stop playtime and that it hurts you !!! Even if it don't ;) my 12 month old akita plays rough with me still but I can put my hand in her mouth and she knows not to put any pressure on it and when to stop, I also got my info from here so it doestrogen help and work !!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

jo06555 wrote: »
    I'm no expert but from what I learned , anytime my pup done it I just yelped and said no and stopped playing for a few mins if u keep doing that they will know any bites will stop playtime and that it hurts you !!! Even if it don't ;) my 12 month old akita plays rough with me still but I can put my hand in her mouth and she knows not to put any pressure on it and when to stop, I also got my info from here so it doestrogen help and work !!!!!

Same here, my two boys play really rough with my husband, they look like they're all killing each other, but there is no biting. (mouthing, but no biting) We used the above method, a quick "OUCH" and play stops immediately for a few seconds, then back to playing.

I'd recommend allowing mouthing so long as it's gentle. It means that if your dog every does snap for whatever reason he has learned how to gently use his mouth rather than "bite/ no bite".

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

Our lad did this almost constantly until he was nearly a year old. He grew out of it after a while, it used to scare my sister (her being 6 at the time) a bit, so he learnt play stops when the teeth come out. He would occasionally still take my wrist in his mouth for a long time afterwards, it seemed to be a comfort to him.

TL;DR: A nice quick reprimand should do it — remember, dogs don't have hands!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭Papillon!

My Pug is 5 months and still doing this to a degree but is a lot better now than when we got her a month ago.

Basically you need to be able to draw the line between play time and cuddle time. They're very hyper at that age so still learning, but they can learn REALLY quickly.

Same as above, the high pitched OW or yelp when they bite the hand always results in them looking shocked :rolleyes:

Advertisement