Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man fined £355 for throwing 1/2 pint of beer over a noisy baby's head.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

1ZRed wrote: »
    Ah, at least he got up and did something about it! Parents that don't do anything about their annoying screaming children deserve a nice, square kick in the arse to spark some parenting skills into them!

A child crying (especially a 15 month old) has nothing to do with a lack of parenting skills.
    This is worth a discussion.

Screaming babies have no place in any pub day or night.

For the child's sake and for those that have paid for the privilege of having a bit of peace and quite.

If you want to bring a child out for a meal drink, you take them to a McDonalds.

Kids being brought to places like McDonalds to eat is probably a reason why a lot of them have no idea how to behave in an actual restaurant.

Is it so shocking that a lot of parents don't want their kids eating unhealthy fast food? It's not the only option. Loads of pubs cater to families, especially in the UK where it is normal for a family to go out for a Sunday pub lunch.
    How many pubs have baby changing facilities?

How many pubs have strapped in high chairs to cater for children?

The above explains it. :)

Lots of pubs that serve food have high chairs and changing facilities.

I think what this man did is disgusting...miserable old bastard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I naturally assumed this would be one of RTDH's obscure examples of martial law against innocent people. It isn't but it's equally silly.
    Yes they paid for the privilege to eat and drink but not to take over the whole pub with noise.

If they didn't have the child present with them this would not have happened.

How many pubs have baby changing facilities?

How many pubs have strapped in high chairs to cater for children?

The above explains it. :)

Not sure about changing facilities but I know plenty of pubs that have strapped in high chairs. If the man had such a big issue with crying babies, he can feel free to go to management to complain. Pouring a beer over an innocent baby is being an arsehole of the highest order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Andy!! wrote: »
    In the cold, around all the smokers? Why? You think noise gets sucked into the air faster than it takes to hear it? We arent in space mate. What you are talking about is segregation. Id rather we segregated the miserable aul ****es than families trying to relax.

families with kids trying to relax - in the beer garden

miserable aul****es - segregated to nice cosy warm pub

Win-Win

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Boombastic wrote: »

families with kids trying to relax - in the beer garden

miserable aul****es - segregated to nice cosy warm pub

Win-Win

No, only the miserable bastards win.

What you're saying is basically saying Apartheid was 'win-win' (As an extreme example). Its not 'win-win' if only one side is happy lad! This is kind of implied in the phrasing! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

I dont have children. If I did have some one day I would not lose the right to go to the pub (in the middle of the afternoon, at a pub that sells food, no less).

And Im not really sure where you get your aspersions from. I got out, why would I be disgruntled? I dont live in a borderline 3rd world country anymore ;) And there is a sizeable ex-pat community here too, who are also 'gruntled' to be out, not to mention the locals I know... do you think all expats are friendless and dont leave their house or something? People make new friends you know ;) Just cause you have been and always will be spending your days getting drunk in the same pub with people you went to primary school with doesnt mean there arent others in life who want something more for themselves ;)
    So glad I dont live in Ireland anymore. What a horrible, miserable lot you are. I dont live in a borderline 3rd world country anymore

I myself know and have ex pat relations and friends who aren't smug about living abroad or are self-loathing about being irish. Just in case you thought I was generalizing the millions of us who are abroad right now and aren't complete pricks.

Nice superiority complex ya got going on there though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Pouring a beer over an innocent baby is being an arsehole of the highest order.
    I never condoned the actions of this man, in fact I spoke out against it in the OP.

The parent should have moved the child away from the guy especially if the guy was eating in the pub before they arrived.

This is also a problem in some churches, most cases the parents will promptly move their crying children to a lobby or corner where they are a less of a detraction.

woodoo wrote: »
    I can't believe so many posts on this thread commending a guy for assaulting a baby. You are as bad as him condoning child abuse.

:rolleyes:

No woodoo. Don't leave your great craic.

MaxSteele wrote: »

Nice superiority complex ya got going on there though.

I am definitely superior to people that condone what that miserable old fart did, yes. Primarily because I am less selfish, and because I dont agree in segregating people, especially in this kind of instance.

No, only the miserable bastards win.

What you're saying is basically saying Apartheid was 'win-win' (As an extreme example). Its not 'win-win' if only one side is happy lad! This is kind of implied in the phrasing! :D

But, but you said you'd rather see the aul**** segregated, so that's just what I was doing to keep you and the young'uns happy :(. Anyway a bit of fresh air would toughen the childer up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

What kind of sad pathetic degenerate throws beer over a baby ?

I can't believe so many posts on this thread commending a guy for assaulting a baby. You are as bad as him condoning child abuse.

If it was a cat the guy would be in protective custody by now. Because it was a child making noise he's a hero. Odd isnt it ?

Scioch wrote: »
    If it was a cat the guy would be in protective custody by now. Because it was a child making noise he's a hero. Odd isnt it ?

Not odd at all, the cat wasn't making noise

But, but you said you'd rather see the aul**** segregated, so that's just what I was doing to keep you and the young'uns happy :(. Anyway a bit of fresh air would toughen the childer up.

If it had to be, yes, send the people that have the problem out. But all people have the same right to just go somewhere for a meal and relax.

And I really find people who think only of themselves and their wants to be completely deplorable; youre clearly one of them types. The universe does not revolve around you lads, parents of children have as much right to go to the pub ON A SUNDAY IN THE MIDDLE OF THE AFTERNOON (i.e. carvery time) as you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

What kind of sad pathetic degenerate throws beer over a baby ?

A Polak.

Not odd at all, the cat wasn't making noise

Hey I invented this hypothetical, and he was making one hell of a racket. But people would see that as "Thats what cats do!" While blaming the child for whatever it was his mother done.

• Advertisement

If it had to be, yes, send the people that have the problem out. But all people have the same right to just go somewhere for a meal and relax.

And I really find people who think only of themselves and their wants to be completely deplorable; youre clearly one of them types. The universe does not revolve around you lads, parents of children have as much right to go to the pub ON A SUNDAY IN THE MIDDLE OF THE AFTERNOON (i.e. carvery time) as you do.

Not if the brat is screaming the place down, the universe does not revolve around junior

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'm betting the f**king coward wouldn't do it if the kids father was there!

Hey I invented this hypothetical, and he was making one hell of a racket. But people would see that as "Thats what cats do!" While blaming the child for whatever it was his mother done.

That's not the hypothetical that was presented:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

the_syco wrote: »
    I'm betting the f**king coward wouldn't do it if the kids father was there!

Oh jesus dont start them off.

Now, the mother will obviously be one of "those".

(a single mother)

That's not the hypothetical that was presented:mad:

It was, it was just a little more ambiguous than I would have liked and as such may not have adequately conveyed my point :mad:

• Advertisement

Chucken wrote: »
    Oh jesus dont start them off.

Now, the mother will obviously be one of "those".

(a single mother)

She was probably spending her benefits at the bar:pac:
    It was, it was just a little more ambiguous than I would have liked and as such may not have adequately conveyed my point :mad:

Tough, no backsies:p

She was probably spending her benefits at the bar:pac:

Please stop :(

Disregarding what the old man did.

Surely people can't defend parents who knowingly bring their pissing, s*itting, screaming babies and toddlers to an establishment primarily for adults to have pints or watch the sunday game in peace on their day off ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Give me strength - they are some right gobsh*tes and idiots on here.

* The mother left the table to order food, the sister-in-law was still there.
    * The child wasn't on its own.
    * The child was grizzling - this is not roaring crying. Grizzling means to cry quietly.
    * There is NOTHING WRONG with a child being in a pub during the day for food. It is considered HEALTHY for children to socialize and such things. And the person who said that McDonalds was the only place to bring kids :eek::confused: - this same person would probably be giving out if the child was obese:rolleyes:

* That man who threw the beer over the baby is a tosser. Assaulting a baby. What a brave, brave man he is. Complaining to the staff would have been the appropriate thing to do - not fcuking attack a baby.
    Actually a sensible person would have seen that as soon as the mother had finished ordering the food/drinks and come back to the table - the baby would have stopped.

It is a wonder some of the people here aren't writing letters of support to the b*tch in the states who got 99 years for abusing the 2 year old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Chucken wrote: »
    A little 15 month old baby being a bit upset is hardly "bad behaviour".

I dont know how the rest of the world copes at all. Its common practice to bring children to resturants.

We don't know how bad the child was. He is conveyed to have been very bad and "grizzling" so he mustn't have been to pleasant to be around.

I said a page or two back that I wouldn't mind if the child was a bit upset and was settled down, that's understandable.
    Screaming and shouting like mad is not, and I shouldn't have to sit around and endure that just because it's a 15 month old child. You remove your child from the situation if you can't settle them down, that's only fair on the other people who are there to enjoy themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

What a prick! And the people defending and praising him for assaulting a baby (no matter how noisy; he is a ****ing baby) - what a bunch of weirdos!

Grizzling is that groany whinging low-level sound I think. Annoying yes, maybe the baby shouldn't have been there (although physical assault of his mother? More weirdo-ness) but taking out frustration on the baby himself? Freak.

Whoever says a baby should never ever be allowed out in public (as if that's feasible) does not engage brain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Surely people can't defend parents who knowingly bring their pissing, s*itting, screaming babies and toddlers to an establishment primarily for adults to have pints or watch the sunday game in peace on their day off ?

Most families bring babies and children to pubs at weekends etc for a sunday lunch and not for the purpose of drinking. Also looking up information on the pub, it's a pub specifically for a family crowd. Note the part that says 'children welcome'.
    http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/home/pubs/the-ernehale

Sure watch the sunday game in peace on their day off ?

Sounds like something that can be done from your house. ;)

They wouldnt have carveries if pubs did not want business from families. You have a right to relax on the weekend, parents also do. If there is a screaming child naturally the parents should try to keep it quiet for the sake of others. But this child was 'grizzling'. Thats like once step up from mumbling. That makes it even more inexcusable, what the crotchety old arse did; its not as if the child was having a ****-fit. Then he proceeded to kick the mother in the arse. I MEAN HELLOOO!!!!. You were a child too once you know. And Im pretty bloody sure you screamed louder than most. Kids cant communicate at that age in any other way than crying and making sounds. Maybe a word or two at that age. Grow up and show some understanding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

The issue is with the mother then not the innocent child. There are children suffering awful abuse and sometimes death because scumbags lose the plot at the sound of a baby crying too much. People laughing at an assault on a child because they are disrupting their quiet pint is nasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Anyone who did that to a baby.....disgraceful
    Parents who let their sprogs do what they like in a public place......disgraceful

Like I always say, there is no such thing as a bad dog, just a bad dog owner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Children shouldn't be allowed out in public. End of.

Hmmm. Me thinks you be immature. Oh wait, I see you are a mod for call of duty forum :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭poeticseraphim

He should have been given a sentence. Babies are off limits...to dangerous.

If i was the mother..i would have cut him...badly.(well informed it to the police and prosecuted him to the fullest extent of the law, then sue ).but then my baby would not be in a pub..

Assualting the mother .....gross..this man is a C**T....he abuses children....disgusting..people condoning it disgust me too....

Total B**T*RD

He should be publically shamed.

Hmmm. Me thinks you be immature. Oh wait, I see you are a mod for call of duty forum :pac:

LOOOOLLL!! Oh snap. Nice catch, cant believe I let myself get worked up over a 14 year olds opinion.

Tell me moderator of care packages and killstreaks, at what age do you think children should be permitted to leave their house? And at what prestige level? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

I dont live in a borderline 3rd world country anymore
    Ireland is not a borderline third world country - you need to actually research what third world country means. You're Irish also, therefore it's illogical to look down your nose at Irish people. You are one yourself. You don't share the obnoxious views here, you can see many other Irish people don't either, so the blanket insulting is silly.

That said, I will concede that Ireland, broadly speaking, can be fairly child-unfriendly.

Sounds like something that can be done from your house. ;)

They wouldnt have carveries if pubs did not want business from families. You have a right to relax on the weekend, parents also do. If there is a screaming child naturally the parents should try to keep it quiet for the sake of others. But this child was 'grizzling'. Thats like once step up from mumbling. That makes it even more inexcusable, what the crotchety old arse did; its not as if the child was having a ****-fit. Then he proceeded to kick the mother in the arse. I MEAN HELLOOO!!!!. You were a child too once you know. And Im pretty bloody sure you screamed louder than most. Kids cant communicate at that age in any other way than crying and making sounds. Maybe a word or two at that age. Grow up and show some understanding.

I'm referring to deafening cries disrupting the entire pub and families who stay there all day, well after lunchtime. It's pretty lousy and ignorant of the rest of the punters. If you're baby is particularly bad for outbursts, well then get a babysitter for a couple hours and have your carvery in peace.

The world doesn't revolve around screaming children. Especially not in a pub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Poor child, assaulted with beer. All it has to look forward to is being assaulted with water pistols, with baths, with showers. Definitely should stay indoors.

..................................................................but then my baby would not be in a pub..

Why not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

People laughing at an assault on a child because they are disrupting their quiet pint is nasty.

Which posts exactly are you referring to? That doesn't sound like any ones I read but maybe I missed them.

The issue is with the mother then not the innocent child. There are children suffering awful abuse and sometimes death because scumbags lose the plot at the sound of a baby crying too much. People laughing at an assault on a child because they are disrupting their quiet pint is nasty.

Hang on now. Of course the old man was wrong in what he did, but going by what some you are saying, you'd swear the child was on the verge of drowning.
    Let's not go off on a tangent here about beating children to death. Assault is a strong word here I think.

I'll admit, I found it kinda hilarious just picturing it though. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

So glad I dont live in Ireland anymore. What a horrible, miserable lot you are. What that piece of dog excrement did to that innocent child is a terrible thing to do to a defenseless toddler. Deserves a week in the clink if you ask me. And people that have kids have as much right to enjoy the pub on a Sunday afternoon for a carvery as much as the bunch of miserable arses who nobody would ever have children with do :P

The baby/kid hate here on boards is rife...be it the pub,cinema,shops ect...they expect children to be gagged into quietness:rolleyes:

That aul **** should be charged with abuse!

I like this guy
    1ZRed wrote: »
    Ah, at least he got up and did something about it! Parents that don't do anything about their annoying screaming children deserve a nice, square kick in the arse to spark some parenting skills into them!
    brummytom wrote: »
    I love this man. The pub should've had a whipround for him.
    psinno wrote: »
    Which posts exactly are you referring to? That doesn't sound like any ones I read but maybe I missed them.

These posts are some of the very first in the thread...

Madam_X wrote: »
    That said, I will concede that Ireland, broadly speaking, can be fairly child-unfriendly.

Your not basing that on those of us who disagree on enduring noisy, hyperactive children in a pub ?

Hang on now. Of course the old man was wrong in what he did, but going by what some you are saying, you'd swear the child was on the verge of drowning.
    Let's not go off on a tangent here about beating children to death. Assault is a strong word here I think.

Of course it is assault. The child was SIXTEEN months old. The child is just walking, beginning to warble and some fcuker throws a drink over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Durr. Beer makes people louder. He should have blown hash smoke in his face instead.

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    Of course it is assault. The child was SIXTEEN months old. The child is just walking, beginning to warble and some fcuker throws a drink over it.

Yeah technically by law, but it makes it sound like he hit the child an uppercut.
    It was lousy what he did, but sure beer over the head is no different to the baby getting bathed or showered really. Well the smell of course:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

Yeah technically by law, but it makes it sound like he hit the child an uppercut.
    It was lousy what he did, but sure beer over the head is no different to the baby getting bathed or showered really. Well the smell of course:D

Don't be so ****ing stupid!

Lets change the title to "scumbag in a tracksuit" instead of "man"...would you still be laughing? Theres something seriously wrong with anyone that thinks throwing beer on a baby, is funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

Some pubs in Britain actively encourage families to eat there if you want a quiet pint do not visit one of these pubs. If was my kid boards would be discussing my court appearance.

Instead of 1/2 pint, we could change it to keg and instead of 15 month old baby we could change that to 15 year old and instead of ..........................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

Poor guy was so precious a baby managed to upset his Sunday lunch. At least the baby had a valid reason for crying when it's not suitable....he hasn't been socialised yet. The tool who threw half a pint over him has had his whole life to learn how to act in public, and he still hasn't got a notion! God help his wife.

• Advertisement
Advertisement