Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man fined £355 for throwing 1/2 pint of beer over a noisy baby's head.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

tan11ie wrote: »
    Don't be so ****ing stupid!

:D

Your tears of rage are delicious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

MaxSteele wrote: »

I'll admit, I found it kinda hilarious just picturing it though. :D

Maybe it's because I have a young child myself but I found the thought of anyone doing this to a baby the exact opposite of hilarious.
    Disregarding what the old man did.

Surely people can't defend parents who knowingly bring their pissing, s*itting, screaming babies and toddlers to an establishment primarily for adults to have pints or watch the sunday game in peace on their day off ?

This pub also serves food and states on their website that children are welcome. If you want to get drunk or watch a game in peace there are plenty of other pubs that cater for that too.
    Yeah technically by law, but it makes it sound like he hit the child an uppercut.
    It was lousy what he did, but sure beer over the head is no different to the baby getting bathed or showered really. Well the smell of course:D

Seriously? Is that how you'd see it if someone threw a pint over your head? I doubt it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

No tears allowed in here, we have ways of dealing with that and there is a free pint in it for them:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Boombastic wrote: »
    She threw her drink back at him, should she also not face assault charges?
    Self defence perhaps.
    Fantastic news.
    How the hell is it fantastic news? That's just an oddball thing to say. Btw, nobody has suggested the world revolves around crying babies. But parents are entitled to go out the odd time - and babies cry.
    1ZRed wrote: »
    I agree with that and it was way too far, but some parents are so lax about their children screaming the place down to the ground and do nothing about it.

In fairness, a little haste is ok once the parents settle them down, but if they run riot and are as bold as brass, you have to think of other people and their enjoyment in the pub as well.
    Some people confuse kid being a brat with kid being a baby/toddler and too difficult to quieten/discipline yet.

Queen-Mise made some great points and inconvenienced some with her facts and truths. I agree, Queen, some folks on Boards do seem like they'd be at home working in the industrial schools 50 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

not sure which of the three things the mother did is worst?

1. bringing a 15 month old kid into a pub
    2. leaving the kid alone to go order food (kid could have been snatched)
    3. naming him Finlay

Chucken wrote: »
    Lets change the title to "scumbag in a tracksuit" instead of "man"...would you still be laughing? Theres something seriously wrong with anyone that thinks throwing beer on a baby, is funny.

Don't know many times I've admitted it was wrong, but picturing a stubborn old man pouring a half pint over grizzling baby's gives me the giggles.

But please, tell me more on how I will become a future child killer because of my heinous humor.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    These posts are some of the very first in the thread...

I didn't actually condone what he did. In fact I don't agree with it at all.

What I only found to be justified was not sitting back when a child is grizzling and shouting so the point of disturbing people around you. I've been on a bus from galway to Dublin late enough at night where the children were loud and behaving like brats. At the end of the long irritating journey the Dad got them off the bus and praised them for being so good and behaving so well. Wtf?

The fault lies with the parents in bad cases where they are behaving terrible, as in, far worse then just being unsettled -which is understandable.

You can't just let them off for behaving this badly behaved because they're only 15 months. I've seen fantastically behaved children that age and their parents are good at settling them if they pick up. Like wise, I've seen very badly behaved children with parents that don't say anything to them or remove them if they're really bothering other people. That's not right.

What this guy did went way too far and was bad, there's no denying that, but all of this should have been between him and the mother, who should have tended to the child and tried to settle it. Ignoring it or failing at calming the child, she should have left the pub.

I don't think it's fair at all to have to sit through a screaming child who ruins your day out. Being unsettled, that's normal, but if it's starting to bother other people a lot, then it's only the decent thing to do to try and sort it out.
    You're in a public space so you need to take other people's consideration into account and not just your own.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Wow. He assaulted a 'grizzling' baby and its mother and knuckle draggers here are applauding it. ****ed up in the extreme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Got any booze for t'baby?

YOU CANT GAVE A BABY BOOZE!

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Maybe it's because I have a young child myself but I found the thought of anyone doing this to a baby the exact opposite of hilarious.

Good for you. I wish you and your family all the best.

This pub also serves food and states on their website that children are welcome. If you want to get drunk or watch a game in peace there are plenty of other pubs that cater for that too.

I know. I'm talking about actual pubs for adults.

Seriously? Is that how you'd see it if someone threw a pint over your head? I doubt it

You guessed correct. I was just saying people are over exaggerating to the point as if the child experienced immense pain and that to the child it would feel no different to having mammy pouring bathwater on it's head. But of course people love to exaggerate.

• Advertisement

not sure which of the three things the mother did is worst?

1. bringing a 15 month old kid into a pub
    2. leaving the kid alone to go order food (kid could have been snatched)
    Pub in question specifically welcomes children, baby's aunt was with him while mum was away from table and baby got upset, you forgot "Adult throwing half a pint on baby".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭telecaster

When I was a baby some old dude - complete randomer as far as I was concerned - dunked my head in to water then poured more over from my jug while mumbling strangely. All the adults just stood and watched.

The old dude gave me ma a candle afterwards....must have felt guilty or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

No tears for your stupidity, it's blinding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

You guessed correct. I was just saying people are over exaggerating to the point as if the child experienced immense pain and that to the child it would feel no different to having mammy pouring bathwater on it's head. But of course people love to exaggerate.

Well unless the mother bathes the baby in cold water then it would feel slightly different than bathwater being poured on his head! I'm sure the baby got a terrible shock and definitely would have screamed even louder so it was a slightly counter productive thing for the man to do really.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

psinno wrote: »

Which posts exactly are you referring to? That doesn't sound like any ones I read but maybe I missed them.

I think maybe you missed the whole thread in that case. Split your hairs and create your straw men somewhere else.

• Anyone who defends a grown adult assaulting a baby is an absolute kunt who needs mental help.

Yeah, you clearly got issues. No use arguing with you. I wouldn't waste my time arguing with a sociopath (as a hypothetical example) in real life, nothing can be achieved. Same story here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

So, a grumpy old bastard gets annoyed at a baby grizzling in a public place and decides the best course of action is to assault the child and mother...

And some people here actually think he's right in doing so???? **** me.

Assault is a strong word here I think.

You clearly have no clue what construes assault in the eyes of the law. Guess that was never covered during sports coverage or discussed in a pub for you to hear. If you walk into your local tomorrow and start shouting your head off right in a barmaids face, you could be charged with assault. You do not need to put your hands on her for that to happen.

• Advertisement

Andy!! wrote: »
    Yeah, you clearly got issues. No use arguing with you. I wouldn't waste my time arguing with a sociopath (as a hypothetical example) in real life, nothing can be achieved. Same story here.

:D A sociopath ?

You're taking the piss right ? Because I laughed at a baby getting beer on it's head ? Can't see any difference then between the OP's story and this story then ?

http://www.pegasusnews.com/news/2012/oct/16/opinion-escalona-99-year-sentence-probation/

There's the superiority complex coming out again. No use arguing with a monumental prick who see's the irish as a horrible, miserable bunch.

MaxSteele would you not deem an adult throwing a half pint on another adult because of something they could not control to be assault? Worse again when it's a baby.
    Ok maybe a drunk person might throw a half pint on their drunken friend just messing about, but context is key (don't think anyone would appreciate it tbh).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

1ZRed wrote: »
    I didn't actually condone what he did. In fact I don't agree with it at all.

What I only found to be justified was not sitting back when a child is grizzling and shouting so the point of disturbing people around you. I've been on a bus from galway to Dublin late enough at night where the children were loud and behaving like brats. At the end of the long irritating journey the Dad got them off the bus and praised them for being so good and behaving so well. Wtf?

The fault lies with the parents in bad cases where they are behaving terrible, as in, far worse then just being unsettled -which is understandable.

You can't just let them off for behaving this badly behaved because they're only 15 months. I've seen fantastically behaved children that age and their parents are good at settling them if they pick up. Like wise, I've seen very badly behaved children with parents that don't say anything to them or remove them if they're really bothering other people. That's not right.

What this guy did went way too far and was bad, there's no denying that, but all of this should have been between him and the mother, who should have tended to the child and tried to settle it. Ignoring it or failing at calming the child, she should have left the pub.

I don't think it's fair at all to have to sit through a screaming child who ruins your day out. Being unsettled, that's normal, but if it's starting to bother other people a lot, then it's only the decent thing to do to try and sort it out.
    You're in a public space so you need to take other people's consideration into account and not just your own.

The child was GRIZZLING not anything you said above.

From the FreeDictionary
    To Grizzle:
    1. (esp of a child) to fret; whine
    2. to sulk or grumble

From Merriam-Webster
    To Grizzle
    intransitive verb
    : gripe, grumble

From Cambridge Dictionary
    (especially of a young child) to cry continuously but not very loudly, or to complain all the time

The child was not screaming, shouting, being badly behaved, or behaving terribly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Don't know many times I've admitted it was wrong, but picturing a stubborn old man pouring a half pint over grizzling baby's gives me the giggles.

But please, tell me more on how I will become a future child killer because of my heinous humor.....

I'd love to, but I have a life to lead. Take care now, under your bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

Yes they paid for the privilege to eat and drink but not to take over the whole pub with noise.

If they didn't have the child present with them this would not have happened.

How many pubs have baby changing facilities?

How many pubs have strapped in high chairs to cater for children?

The above explains it. :)

you dont get out much do you ?

MAJORITY of pubs serve food with drink , seeing she had a child with her you can assume it was during the day

children are welcome into pubs until 7pm , you don't want to hear a child cry ?
    then stay the f2uk out of the pub untill after 7pm

loads of pubs that SERVE FOOD have high chairs - what planet do you live on ?

seriously - if you think that parents with children should not have the same right to get something to eat in a pub becasue it might upset you - then you are a moron , just like the old ****er that poured the pint on the child

i have come across some retarded opinions on Ah , but this thread really takes the piss

people are really debating if this was a good thing or not ???

i repeat - i would have stamped all over the ****er - let see him try it with a adult

anyone that agrees with his action has a mental illness and need to cop the f2ck on

Madam_X wrote: »
    MaxSteele would you not deem an adult throwing a half pint on another adult following because of something they could not control to be assault? Worse again when it's a baby.
    Ok maybe a drunk person messing might throw a half pint on their friend just messing about, but context is key (don't think anyone would appreciate it tbh).

A fully grown, mature adult pressing assault charges because someone threw a drink over them in an argument ? No I wouldn't regard it as assault, but I'm sure everyone else would regard the victim as a complete numpty who can't fight there own battles or brush it off as something trivial.

A baby(yeah I know I shouldn't be laughing) is a different case altogether. It's defenceless and he should be charged with something or fined. But I can't see physical harm in this case, other than agitating an already upset child.

• Advertisement

There's the superiority complex coming out again. No use arguing with a monumental prick who see's the irish as a horrible, miserable bunch.

In fairness, there is a fair few child-bashing threads that come up on this forum frequently. Some of the replies on this thread alone could lead someone to view us as a horrible, miserable bunch alright. Which is a shame.

I'd love to, but I have a life to lead. Take care now, under your bridge.

Yet here you are with more than double the number of posts I have and joined a year later than me.

Try not bitch and moan next time you meet someone who's sense of humor enrages you.

The child was GRIZZLING not anything you said above.

From the FreeDictionary
    To Grizzle:

From Merriam-Webster
    To Grizzle

From Cambridge Dictionary

The child was not screaming, shouting, being badly behaved, or behaving terribly.

the other linked article from the daily mail says 'sobbing' can you also define this for us please

In fairness, there is a fair few child-bashing threads that come up on this forum frequently. Some of the replies on this thread alone could lead someone to view us as a horrible, miserable bunch alright. Which is a shame.

I really don't see what's wrong in finding something funny, yet unacceptable.

It's a lot more light hearted than your one who got 99 years for beating her child to death. Where's the outrage at that in AH ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Yet here you are with more than double the number of posts I have and joined a year later than me.

Try not bitch and moan next time you meet someone who's sense of humor enrages you.

I fail to see what my post count has to do with anything?

..and trust me, I have a sense of humour. Im not the only one who thinks its NOT funny to throw beer on a baby. Do you not see that????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Is that what you call it?

It's a lot more light hearted than your one who got 99 years for beating her child to death. Where's the outrage at that in AH ?

There was a thread posted about that case already and there was plenty of outrage as I recall.

There's a thread from a few days ago on a mother who got 99 years for torturing her daughter - child thankfully didn't die though.

I fail to see what my post count has to do with anything?

..and trust me, I have a sense of humour. Im not the only one who thinks its NOT funny to throw beer on a baby. Do you not see that????

You made it clear I had no life or whatever, yet seem to be more active here than I am. Ironic to say the least.

I'd react the same way any parent would although very hypocritical of me.

And do you not see that many others found it funny ? Doesn't mean we condone child cruelty. Lighten up for goodness sake.

This is the CCTV image they released in the hunt for the man

Is his shirt unbuttoned? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

2 Toddlers throwing a tantrum

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

FanadMan wrote: »
    Is that what you call it?

No I call it my Dark Passenger like Michael C Hall in Dexter :rolleyes:

Go on expand your theory a little there buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

The brave Mr. Polak, who poured a glass of beer on the head of a 15-month-old baby, is now 65. In about 15 years' time he will be 80 and his victim just over 16. If that teenager were to seek out the 80-year-old bully who did such a cowardly thing to a helpless child and kick seven colours of shit out of him, no doubt there would be a lot of tut-tutting about an old and defenceless man ---:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

No I call it my Dark Passenger like Michael C Hall in Dexter :rolleyes:

Go on expand your theory a little there buddy.

For a start, I'm not or don't think I'd ever want to be your buddy.

Personally, anyone who would throw beer at a baby is obviously not mentally well. And as for anyone that finds it funny.......well, seeing as you seem to base your humor on a psychopath like Dexter Morgan - nuff said. Think you and the old guy would have a great time together. Just imagine the fun you'd both have in a creche with a couple of crates of beer!

the other linked article from the daily mail says 'sobbing' can you also define this for us please

I think people know what sobbing means - but by the comments on grizzling they obviously didn't.

Anyway here is the link for google so you can search yourself:

http://www.google.ie

or

http://www.google.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

i just dont get people like this grumpy old fart - if something is annoying you so much that it makes you pour a pint onto a toddler then leave - go - punch a wall , do something, but not what he done.

everyone has reactions and urges, but balanced people deal with them in a socially acceptable way.

EVERYONE know that to react the way he did to a child is just wrong , full stop - so for him to proceed as he did shows, in my opinion a immaturity you would not expect from a "man" his age.

FFS , i was at dublin airport yesterday , and not 5 feet away from me was jedward , facing away from me , to say i had the urge to slap both heads together like eggs is a serious understatement , but i fought the urge :mad:
    i might have gotten a medal for my actions seeing who it was , but i still know its wrong to act like that

so what is this dickheads problem? it was a baby !!!!!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

A fully grown, mature adult pressing assault charges because someone threw a drink over them in an argument ? No I wouldn't regard it as assault, but I'm sure everyone else would regard the victim as a complete numpty who can't fight there own battles or brush it off as something trivial.

A baby(yeah I know I shouldn't be laughing) is a different case altogether. It's defenceless and he should be charged with something or fined. But I can't see physical harm in this case, other than agitating an already upset child.

No, you shouldn't. Would you find it funny if he'd poured a pint over an adult with a mental disability that caused them to make noise? Or should they all stay at home as well?

What that man did is disgusting.

I think people know what sobbing means - but by the comments on grizzling they obviously didn't.

Anyway here is the link for google so you can search yourself:

http://www.google.ie

or

http://www.google.com

sobbing present participle of sob (Verb)
    Cry noisily, making loud, convulsive gasps.
    Say while crying noisily

sob (sb)
    v. sobbed, sob·bing, sobs
    v.intr.
    1. To weep aloud with convulsive gasping; cry uncontrollably. See Synonyms at cry.
    2. To make a sound resembling that of loud weeping.

Well done Boombastic. Thanks for informing us all.

Now look up socially insensitive twats who laugh at babies being abused in public.

Well done Boombastic. Thanks for informing us all.

Now look up socially insensitive twats who laugh at babies being abused in public.

Nothing like the righteous indignation of parents who think everyone else should be tolerant of little Johnny, while at the same time neglecting responsible parenting and bringing children in to an adult environment because they are entitled to

FanadMan wrote: »
    For a start, I'm not or don't think I'd ever want to be your buddy.

Personally, anyone who would throw beer at a baby is obviously not mentally well. And as for anyone that finds it funny.......well, seeing as you seem to base your humor on a psychopath like Dexter Morgan - nuff said. Think you and the old guy would have a great time together. Just imagine the fun you'd both have in a creche with a couple of crates of beer!

Well I've never and will never do that. I laugh at a baby getting beer on it's head and get called a "sociopath" by one and compared to Dexter by you. :D It's gas how worked up some of you get over a a baby's wet head.

I'm just thankful I don't have to endure this level of trivial bitching and dryness on a daily basis.

Sure I'll PM you when we hit up the next creche.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Anyone that throws a pint over a baby deserves more than a £355 fine. Did he think that would teach the baby a lesson and it would stop crying? Idiot.
    Hmmm. Me thinks you be immature. Oh wait, I see you are a mod for call of duty forum :pac:

Shammy is also a mod of the call of duty forum, he has 4 kids :p

vitani wrote: »
    No, you shouldn't. Would you find it funny if he'd poured a pint over an adult with a mental disability that caused them to make noise? Or should they all stay at home as well?

What that man did is disgusting.

How many times does something have to be explained ? Read the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

I'm not a parent and I think that sitting down to a meal and having to listen to kids screaming is up there among the most annoying things going, but this kid wasn't screaming, he was grizzling. Making little kinda whimpering noises basically. Probably snuffling a little. As for the comments about not leaving the kid alone, they might have been seated right opposite the bar and just went up to it to order, no more than 3m away from baby. It really doesn't sound like a whinging screaming baby. It sounds like a grumpy old fart who's been put back in his box.

• Advertisement

Nothing like the righteous indignation of parents who think everyone else should be tolerant of little Johnny, while at the same time neglecting responsible parentingand bringing children in to an adult environment because they are entitled to

Sorry, how is bringing a child into a family friendly pub/restaurant at 1pm for lunch irresponsible parenting exactly? Oh that's right, it's not, because as you pointed out yourself, they're perfectly entitled to.

Perhaps the child was hungry and that's why he was grizzling - does that mean he deserves a pint poured over his head and that his mother deserves to be physically assaulted? The only person showing righteous indignation in this story was the anti-social old bastard, who you would think might be used to small children himself, being a grandfather and all.

Advertisement