Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triathlon Beginner

Options
  • 16-10-2012 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

i want to do a triathlon, i'm more than competent for the run and cycle.my swimming ability is poor enough, should i take swimming classes to improve my swimming first? or any swimming routines/ training i can do to help?
    Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

cmalone92 wrote: »
    i want to do a triathlon, i'm more than competent for the run and cycle.my swimming ability is poor enough, should i take swimming classes to improve my swimming first? or any swimming routines/ training i can do to help?
    Thanks in advance for any advice.

How far can you swim nonstop at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 cmalone92

ehhh i could do about 4-5 lengths of a 25 metre pool non-stop i say, fairly slowly though, i assume freestyle is better for triathlons yes? my freestyle has really declined though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

If you can swim 100m you are beyond most 'swimming classes', if you can find a decent swimmer in your pool ask for tips or pointers but I would think for now time in the water and adding a length each day will have the best returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 cmalone92

i forgot to say i swim breaststroke. my freestyle is very poor, should i go to a swimming class to enhance my freestyle?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

cmalone92 wrote: »
    i forgot to say i swim breaststroke. my freestyle is very poor, should i go to a swimming class to enhance my freestyle?
    Lots of beginners swim breaststroke, and Ive seen people of all makes and shapes do it in all distances, but if you ever want to get serious about tri, youll need to learn a proper freestyle stroke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭JohnBee

Hi just to let you know I am in the same situation!

Reasonable runner, I have a bike (although I know that doesnt make me a cyclist) but desperately trying to improve my swimming.

Similar to you, I hadnt swam since childhood. After about 6 weeks was up to doing about 20 plus lengths of the 25m (with short breaks between each length).

Just got my first one on one lesson. I would recommend this. If you are fit then you will be beyond the casual swimming classes and while a bit dearer, I think it is worth it rather than spending a long time building on a bad technique!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Im a bit late to the party, but this is my experience.

last year i did my first triathlon, the swim would have been the event i was most nervous about, I started out being able to do just 3 or four lengths without stopping, but by going to the pool about 3 times a week, i was able to get it up to 1000 meters. I didnt swim any further as the actual event itself is only 750. long story short, I got through the event without any hassles.

HOWEVER,
    in the last 6 weeks I've been doing stroke coaching as part of a small group once a week. the difference is literally night and day. I can now breath at both sides, where before i used to kind of lift out of the water to gulp in a big panicked breath.
    the easiest way i could describe it, is that now I try and work smoothly with the water, rather than trying to fight against it. Check out local triathlon clubs in your area, they regularly run these kind of things.

Advertisement