Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Internet browser will load - (rundll32)

Options
  • 16-10-2012 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

Both Internet Explorer and Google chrome are showing me this message.

"windows host process rundll32 has stopped working. windows will now close this program
    a problems caused the program to stop working correctly and notify you if a solution is available."

Also, they're saying something about DEP won't let me open them, so I turned off DEP for Internet Explorer which I read somewhere might help it and it made no difference. Google Chrome wouldn't let me turn DEP off.

I tried System Restore and that didn't work, I booted in Safe Mode (With Networking) and both browsers worked grand.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Both Internet Explorer and Google chrome are showing me this message.

"windows host process rundll32 has stopped working. windows will now close this program
    a problems caused the program to stop working correctly and notify you if a solution is available."

Also, they're saying something about DEP won't let me open them, so I turned off DEP for Internet Explorer which I read somewhere might help it and it made no difference. Google Chrome wouldn't let me turn DEP off.

I tried System Restore and that didn't work, I booted in Safe Mode (With Networking) and both browsers worked grand.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Download Malwarebytes and install it, update it and run it.

Also Download Spybot S&D and Update it and run it (Slightly longer scan)

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭tedobrien98

Thanks a million, but sure i can't download anything because no internet browser will load. :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Do it in safe mode with networking

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Thanks a million, but sure i can't download anything because no internet browser will load. :(

Can you download it onto whatever you are using to post here?

E.G. If you are using your phone, download it to the SD card, or somewhere on phone, and transfer it to PC by connecting. Or Download it on another PC, and transfer it by usb key.

EDIT: - Download it in SAFE MODE with Networking.

Double edit.. Do what mp22 said :)

IF you can't run Malwarebytes, do this:
      1. Download Malwarebytes Chameleon from here and extract it to a folder in a convenient location
      2. Make certain that your PC is connected to the internet and then open the folder where you extracted Chameleon to and double-click on the Chameleon help file and then follow the onscreen instructions to use it.
      3. If the Chameleon help file itself will not open, then double-click each file one by one until you find one that works, which will be indicated by a black DOS/command prompt window Note: Do not attempt to open mbam-killer as that is not a Chameleon executable and serves a different purpose)
      4. Follow the onscreen instructions to press a key to continue and Chameleon will proceed to download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for yo
      5. Once it has done this, it will attempt to update Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, click OK when it says that the database was updated successful
      6. Next, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will automatically open and perform a Quick scan
      7. Upon completion of the scan, if anything has been detected, click on Show Result
      8. Have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware remove any threats that are detected and click Yes if prompted to reboot your computer to allow the removal process to complete
      9. After your computer restarts, open Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and perform one last Quick scan to verify that there are no remaining threats

Aah jaysus I can't believe I hadnt thought of that!!! :O

I'll try and download it in networking so and if it wont work I'll do that! Thanks! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭frankled

My girlfriend has had this problem, I'll try the above when I get a chance.

Any idea why this happened? It seems to have coincided with extensions (some search.me thing she doesn't want as well as 'click to buy' thing) latching on to Chrome and Firefox. I disabled both of these, but now the browsers won't even work.

I find it unusual because she would never in a million years click anything unusual, she knows enough about computers not to. She has Windows Defender (I think) installed too.

Sure I have this Norton internet security thing on it and that didn't stop it.
    Anyway, those programmes didn't work for me. It's grand using safe mode, just a bit big. But there's no sound on it and a few other things which you'd want to work. Apparently it's bad to use safe mode for normal usage?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Could be a rootkit, try running Kaspersky Live Disc and see if it detects anything!

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Gormal

If you've run a scan and found no virus etc. Then some software is probably blocking you. Did it start after any update?
    To narrow down what might be causing it you could do a clean boot as shown here

Gormal wrote: »
    If you've run a scan and found no virus etc. Then some software is probably blocking you. Did it start after any update?
    To narrow down what might be causing it you could do a clean boot as shown here

Not much use in the case of a rootkit, which will hide as a system driver, you need to use a rescue solution like Kaspersky Rescue disc or format to get rid of them nasties usually!

Nick

• Advertisement

Should I have run malwarebytes in safe mode or normal mode?

I've started using the browser that's built in to RealPlayer.. How is it that's working?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Gormal

yoyo wrote: »
    Not much use in the case of a rootkit, which will hide as a system driver, you need to use a rescue solution like Kaspersky Rescue disc or format to get rid of them nasties usually!

Nick

True! But was assuming the OP would have done you're step 1st :p the joys of computing!

@tedobrien98 run everything in normal mode if you can.

Should I have run malwarebytes in safe mode or normal mode?

If you have a rootkit running scans in any windows mode will make f all difference :( . The Kaspersky live disc bypasses the windows startup completely, not allowing the system level virus to load, so has a much better chance at catching and removing it. If Mbam is failing/crashing/not installing correctly, I'd say you have a rootkit!

Nick

This Kaspersky thing, is that when you do the f8 thing at the start to get safe mode or whatever you want, and it says repair your computer and then you can use whatever antivirus things you have on it? I have Norton on it, would it be the same thing do use that or is it something else entirely?

This Kaspersky thing, is that when you do the f8 thing at the start to get safe mode or whatever you want, and it says repair your computer and then you can use whatever antivirus things you have on it? I have Norton on it, would it be the same thing do use that or is it something else entirely?

No, you either need to enter the "boot menu" and boot from CD/DVD Drive (obviously with the live disc you burnt in the tray) or configure the bios to boot first from the "CD/DVD" drive. I can't tell you which will work for your machine, as this varies substantially, but at startup look for a boot menu option (F12 is quite popular) and enter it then boot off CD/DVD drive. Even at the point being offered to enter safe mode/repair computer etc some rootkits will have been loaded.

Nick

Advertisement