Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would an E-Cigarette be a bad gift?

Options
  • 16-10-2012 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭

Just looking for opinions. I've heard a few good things about e vaping from smokers. As a non smoker, I haven't a clue if such a gift would be like giving an overweight person a diet book or if it would be received a little better. It's for a family member who ideally, I'd like to see them not smoke so much so this could be a pretty valuable gift if they take to it.

Now I haven't a clue whatsoever about the devices. The smoker in particular smokes I think 20 silk cut purple a day.

Are these available in Ireland and where is a good place to buy them? Do they come in different strengths and everything?

I haven't a clue of price or anything but would like something decent that wouldn't be too off putting for somebody accustomed to cigarettes.

Cheers for any feedback!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Bambii_

cormie wrote: »
    Just looking for opinions. I've heard a few good things about e vaping from smokers. As a non smoker, I haven't a clue if such a gift would be like giving an overweight person a diet book or if it would be received a little better. It's for a family member who ideally, I'd like to see them not smoke so much so this could be a pretty valuable gift if they take to it.

Now I haven't a clue whatsoever about the devices. The smoker in particular smokes I think 20 silk cut purple a day.

Are these available in Ireland and where is a good place to buy them? Do they come in different strengths and everything?

I haven't a clue of price or anything but would like something decent that wouldn't be too off putting for somebody accustomed to cigarettes.

Cheers for any feedback!

An e cigarett ecan be bought in nearly any shop that sells cigarettes and chemists. It would cost around 15euro.

Honestly, I don't think its a great gift unless the person you're buying it for has shown an interest in quitting smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Seconding what Bambii_ says - if they're not sick of how smoking makes them feel, they don't want to quit.
    They might even be reluctant to trying ecigs in the future and jealously guard their smoking from any attempts to straighten them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

tbh i didn't really have any interest in giving up smoking before i tried e-cigs. let me say that more honestly - i didn't want to give up smoking. you'd have had to prise them from my cold dead hands.... all irony intended there.... i loved my fags, just it was becoming too expensive and annoying a habit with only one income and an asmatic husband. so for me personally, if someone had bought me one as a gift i'd have accepted it. or more honestly i'd have bitten the hand off them.

i tried a few of the disposables and a look-a-like e-cig before i found this forum and again - honestly the difference between them and say the starter kits mentioned on a few posts here is like night and day. i'll never smoke another cigarette.

it depends totally on your budget but what you could do is buy them one of the cheap disposables like this, just so they get used to holding a plastic thing and the flavour isn't all that bad, it might last them a day [or two] depending on how much they smoke and also a voucher for a starter kit sold here. that's my 2 cents anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

I think it would be a good idea.

Most smokers want to quit anyway & most likely they'll have tried patches, gum & all the rest at some point.

Trust me on this.

Vaping is probably something he hadn't heard of or thought of before.

Off the smokes myself the last 16 days thanks to e-cigs.

Totally painless way to quit IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for the replies. I think I might go for it. What would be the difference between say a starter pack that's €60 and a cheap one from the chemist for €15?

I'd be willing to spend €60 anyway so any recommendations on one to go for based on 20 silk cut purple a day and they have been smoking for the past 40 years.

• Advertisement

What would be the difference between say a starter pack that's €60 and a cheap one from the chemist for €15?

Taste, heat and vapour would all be multiplied and reach the level "Satisfying, yum!".

€15 kits reach the level of "Yeah, it's okay, but...".

This kit is a great starter, but they're out of the 650mAh batteries at the mo', so it'll be a longer (lasting) set of batteries for an extra €4.

Then this liquid brings the total up to €86.
    The €20 bottle would last 10-16 days. On average. Ish.
    Discount code

Boards

For 10% off brings it to €77.40 with free delivery.

If €60 is a hard limit for you, this will bring you to €60.81 taking into account the discount code and the postage charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭donkey oatey

I'd go for this as it has great cartomisers (holds the juice and vapourises it), good batteries and a sample pack that you can select which flavours/strengths you'd like.

I've only puffed on the pharmacy style cigs when I was desperate and they were OK but the difference for me was taste (they're just a boring flavour) and the battery doesn't last long. I love trying new juices and having batteries that will definitely last a day and an evening. With the batteries in the starter pack above you also have more options as to what cartomiser/atomiser/clearomiser you use with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Biansi Imist kits now 35 euro in the Irishvapers clearance sale (http://www.irishvapers.ie).
    They're excellent, almost no maintenance required, perfect for newly quit smokers moving across to vaping, like me (a month and counting.)
    I bought one thinking I'd try it out, and literally haven't smoked a cig since. Had a half pack in the house for three weeks in case I fancied one and ended up giving them away because I knew I'd no further use for them.
    I'd recommend the Imist and at the price in the clearance sale, they're a real bargain and in your budget. I'm just about to buy another now for the same reason as yourself - giving the gift of giving up the smokes.

Hmm, a lot of different options above. How do I know which to go for? I'm not sure the recipient would be into flavours like vanilla etc, just whatever is closest to smoking to start off with I guess?

Also, I'll need to get this soon so might prefer to collect it in person. I see the e-smokeireland.eu site is situated in Palmerstown so I might walk in and just pick something up there. Grindle, is that your own site?

Is there something in an actual "start kit" as opposed to buying a load of separate products, considering it's a gift..

Hmm, a lot of different options above. How do I know which to go for? I'm not sure the recipient would be into flavours like vanilla etc, just whatever is closest to smoking to start off with I guess?

Also, I'll need to get this soon so might prefer to collect it in person. I see the e-smokeireland.eu site is situated in Palmerstown so I might walk in and just pick something up there. Grindle, is that your own site?

Is there something in an actual "start kit" as opposed to buying a load of separate products, considering it's a gift..

Nope, don't own it or know them (and boards doesn't allow it), just a happy customer.
    The've got the widest selection of products I like at prices I like.

thebestshop.eu and bargainvapour.com are pretty good too.

The set myself and donkey oatey pointed you towards is pretty much the best starter set any site had started selling - before they started selling them, every set had "Why does this come with this/Why don't they come with that?" moments. Unfortunately they're out of the smaller batteries.
    The House of Liquid range on e-smokeireland is a set of fantastic tobacco flavours, and the large bottles are on special at the moment.

If it has to be an all in one kit and under €60, get the set Cavehill Red suggested. But still get the juice/s from e-smokeireland.

• Advertisement

Just thought I'd update. Given that I had two recommendations for the one kit in the short amount of posts in this thread, I thought I'd go for it so I gave e-smokeireland.eu a ring and arranged to pop around to collect in person. The service I received was great. Considering it's not even for me, I was shown absolutely everything, with everything explained to me and demonstrated to me so I can then pass it on to the recipient. I must have been there over an hour altogether. I was even asked if I was in a rush.

After a long discussion, we decided it'd be better to go for another starter kit due to it having a shorter and more simple battery as well as a filter/mouth piece (or whatever the thing that holds the liquid is called) that isn't so far off what a cigarette looks like as the other one was. I don't want it too be too scary and different.

So I got the starter kit which usually retails at €48, a 50ml bottle of tobacco el torro and 5 extra replacement filters for €60 altogether so I'm very happy with that.

Fingers crossed I'll be needing to pass on the website address in a few weeks for new filters and liquid :)

Thanks for all the help everyone!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

That sounds like a pretty good deal.

Just a suggestion, but it might be easier to introduce it to your family member as an alternative to smoking rather than giving up. The nature of the addiction means that while most smokers want to quit, the thought of actually going through with it is pretty scary.

The beauty of vaping is that is that if you just try it out instead of smoking for a while, you pretty soon realise that you don't need cigarettes at all any more.

That's exactly what was suggested to me yesterday and definitely sounds like the right approach!

Advertisement