Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric sewing machine problem.

Options
  • 16-10-2012 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

I just bought a beautiful old (1970's) made in Japan, Brother sewing machine. It works with a foot pedal. I plugged it in to check it was working and sewed a few inches of stitches....all good so far.

Inspecting the stitches, with my foot removed from the pedal, and about a minute passes before the machine starts to buzz and then starts sewing on its own. Foot pedal wasn't stuck, wondered if a previous owner was haunting it or is there an electrical solution for this.

Any ideas? Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

The foot pedals work on a variable resistor principle - as you press your foot down, it move a metal pick up along the length of an exposed coil, the more you press the further along to the start of the coil it moves, the less the resistance. Quite crude. Mechanism is more mechanical than electrical.
    I would think that the pressure spring needs replacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭mrswalton

Thanks for that, i have been told the whole foot pedal needs replacing. Should any electrician be able to do what you are suggesting? Brother/Singer want 60 euro for new pedal.

Advertisement