Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Call someone "just for a chat"

• 16-10-2012 7:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

A long, long time ago when most of ye here were still in the cot and living off mother's milk (as in early 2000's) it used to be common, or at least socially acceptable to call someone on the telephone machine for an ould chat. If the tiger was roaring for you then you might even have had a mobial telephone machine with an aerial that you pulled out and a battery that lasted just long enough for a chat with one of your friends.

Everyone was at this. When you met someone on the street or where ever you would say you'd call them for a chat and you would actually call them and chat to them for 10 minutes up to half an hour or longer if you were good friends with them. Even if you didn't know them that well you could call them out of the blue and they usually didn't mind having a chat with you. If they were beours they wouldn't get immediately suspicious that you were only wanting a roide

As of recently this seems to be well on the way out, is it that people wouldn't invest a half an hour talking to just one friend when they could spend that half an hour on Facebook or what have you, are they too Web 3.0-ed out for this kind of codology? or have I turned into (even more of) a social outcast? Are times-a-changing?

Do you regularly call people "just for a chat"? 203 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    30% 62 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    69% 141 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Casillas

Facebook - twitter says no!

Tell ya what I is doin' every five minutes - no need to catch up..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 373 ✭✭Internet Hero

i dont. i wouldnt know what to say :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

I've never understood this 'calling just for a chat' malarky (and unfortunately it seems much more prevalent among the ladies...) If I need to have a substantial conversation with someone, I either skype or meet up with them.

I talk to them in person if I have something to say to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Just a chat?

Sure :)

€1.99 per minute

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Yeah I'd call people the odd time for a chat. But just the people that wouldnt be on facebook and the like. Those people I'd be in contact with kinda through comments and chat and stuff. Calling for a chat is just when ya havent been in contact for ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Shivers26

I'm a woman and I hate talking on the phone when there is no reason for the call.
    I never initiate a call 'just for a chat' but I do have 2 sisters and a mother so they often ring to yap on for anything up to an hour. Torture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Not too often, can't afford it to be honest, very, very pricey.
    She says she's Brigitte from Bordeaux but she sounds more like a Bridie from Ballyfermot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

I am so not a girly girl when it comes to random chats with friends tbh, maybe moreso when I was a teenager but that was just the big novelty of having a mobile phone and even then i still prefered texting :D

Calls to me are for either asking something important, meeting up with someone and asking directions if needed, or nice chats with the bf after we havent seen each other that day which tbh its the only time I actually like random chat, sappy but true! :) But even then its still asking them something.

Chatting to friends on the phone just gets very boring very quickly imho, Texts can be a lot more fun but even that can get tedious with friends sometimes.
    In a nutshell, if I ever call someone it means their important to me, and theres very few people I have like that, and im glad as it means something :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Used to have a friend that lived on the other side of the country back in my early teen years. On occasion I'd tie up both hers & my landlines for about an hour.

An increasing phone bill resulted in those conversations ending.

These days Facebook, e-mail & meeting for pints will suffice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

In the 2000's I was using IRC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

This:
    bluewolf wrote: »
    I talk to them in person if I have something to say to them

And this:

Shivers26 wrote: »
    I'm a woman and I hate talking on the phone when there is no reason for the call.
    I never initiate a call 'just for a chat' but I do have 2 sisters and a mother so they often ring to yap on for anything up to an hour. Torture.

I'm probably the same age as the OP and I don't remember saying to people I'd call them for a chat later, and I had a mobile phone at 16 (which all my "friends" would call their friends with and ran up a £300 eircell bill in one month, so I quickly put a stop to that malarkey!).

I'll usually when I meet up with people in person arrange to meet them at a more suitable time for a coffee, breakfast, dinner, etc. Usually arranging meetings for business is done by e-mail.

Actually does anyone use windows live (msn) messenger any more?

On my mobile right now I have windows live messenger, yahoo messenger, whatsapp, viber, skype and fring, and various contacts on each, though not 100+ like some people would have on social networks like facebook and twitter.

My wife on the other hand will spend hours chatting to her family and friends on the phone, then when she comes off the phone, she's almost straight on to facebook to chat to people she might only have got off the phone to ten minutes earlier! And you'd think they couldn't have much left to talk about when they meet up, but you'd be wrong! Crazy! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I hate phone conversations, I can never think of what to say and theyre always really akward. Rea life conversations, facebook conversations or just texting are a lot easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

I call my sisters who have moved away just for a chat every once in a while. I think that's the only real exception and I text for all the rest.

Ah, it's kind of nice every once in a while I think.

Overall though, I probably use my phone for calls less than 20% compared to texting, so I'm not a regular caller at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 D3luka

bueors always want the riode

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

i would call the odd time for a chat but that would mostly be family. maybe once a month so i voted no....only other time id ring or get calls for a chat is when their a break up or some bad news. But otherwise id rather meet in person

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Actually does anyone use windows live (msn) messenger any more?

No. Dunno what replaced it either, probably some Web 2.0 shoite. Skype is after getting popular but not like what MSN used to be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Don't get that many people calling me these days :( - wouldn't mind but I've got a rather cool ringtone.

I'd rather talk to people rather than text, text messages can make conversations disjointed and if you don't reply to someone straight away they mightn't reply for ages or won't bother replying at all. Not a big fan of touchscreens either.

Some people seem to have a fear of calling - one girl I'm friends with never calls, not once in almost 10 years! Tis terrible Joe.

eth0 wrote: »

No. Dunno what replaced it either, probably some Web 2.0 shoite. Skype is after getting popular but not like what MSN used to be

Well windows live messenger replaced msn as part of Microsoft's attempt at social networking; they created profiles and even linked in to Microsoft SkyDrive for storing your photos and documents, etc, after uploading them from Windows Live Photo Gallery, a whole Windows Live "Essentials" suite. Microsoft also recently acquired Skype, and are actively swapping people over from Hotmail accounts to their new webmail service called "Outlook".

Microsoft has gone through a mish-mash of incarnations in communication tools recently to try and compete with the facebook/gmail combo that the current generation has moved on to.

It's almost like so far they are throwing shìt at a brick wall and hoping some of it will stick, because they haven't been able to come up with anything yet to compete with either Facebook, or Google, not to mention Apple with their iMessage and Facetime!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

There are a couple of people I'd still call for a chat, very rarely though and only close friends I don't get to see so often. To be honest it's just too expensive, local calls on the old landline cost a hell of a lot less than calls off a mobile, and I don't actually have a landline and haven't used one outside of a work setting in somewhere between 5 and 10 years.

I text and facebook in place of it to a slight degree but I don't think it can be claimed they are comparable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

R0ot wrote: »
    In the 2000's I was using IRC.

I still am

There are a couple of people I'd still call for a chat, very rarely though and only close friends I don't get to see so often. To be honest it's just too expensive, local calls on the old landline cost a hell of a lot less than calls off a mobile, and I don't actually have a landline and haven't used one outside of a work setting in somewhere between 5 and 10 years.

I text and facebook in place of it to a slight degree but I don't think it can be claimed they are comparable.

Just on this actually now you mention it, on the Three mobile network, I can call my friend in New York on a special access number for 2c per minute, yet to call my wife at home (when she's not on the phone to someone else, at least there's call waiting, because I absolutely detest voicemail!) and tell her I'll be home late, costs 19c per minute!

(She's on Meteor for the free calls and texts, quelle surprise! :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

I'm not sure about the cost aspect of it. People have minutes to burn now, get 200 a month myself and I can't get through them. Then there is all the different VoiP services so it has never been easier to call for free but people just dont do it except maybe for business and a few close people in their family

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I hope most people on this thread never have a friend who needs to call "just for a chat".

Latchy wrote: »
    YouTube Video

Christ Latchy that was depressing! :D

Bit more lively, classic tune-

Christ Latchy that was depressing! :D

Brilliant album though .

Latchy wrote: »
    Brilliant album though .

Tbh I hadn't heard of them since "Vienna", I guess I should've called them, just for a chat :p

• Advertisement

Tbh I hadn't heard of them since "Vienna", I guess I should've called them, just for a chat :p
    When they play this song in their live set ( I've recently seen them in Manchester and Blackpool on this 2012 tour) they have a montage of a person sitting alone by a window looking out which then switches to a mobile phone just floating in space ...apt for this thread I thought ...maybe .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Ever since leaving school I've talked to my friends even more than I did when I saw them every day :)
    I regularly call/get called by my 2 best friends 'just for a chat.' I used to hate talking on the phone but I've warmed to it now. It's much more efficient than texting and especially with Viber and other apps there's no excuse for not doing it!
    If it weren't for these catch-ups I don't think I'd make it through the week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Itwasntme.

1ZRed wrote: »
    Just a chat?

Sure :)

€1.99 per minute

Is it just me (drunk me that is) or are you gettning funnier with each post IZred? I swear you are. Seriously. I must be drunker than I thought I was. I am totes flirting with the gayest man on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

There are a few people I'd ring "just for a chat", usually my closest friend or my Mum. I spend up to an hour and more with them on the phone-yes, I'm female :p. I have free local calls up to an hour on the land line so it's not a cost issue.

I prefer face to face chats but that's not always possible (my Mum lives down the country for example) so I'll ring them instead.

What I don't like is cold calling strangers, have a bit of a fear about it actually-social anxiety :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Literally just off the phone from a chat :)

JK... Kinda. If I haven't seen the BF all day usually one of us will ring the other just to check in and say hi. Now and then I ring my mother (usually see her at the weekends... which reminds me... I haven't spoken to her in a week) but then again, my mum is on facebook and is a proficient texter and MMSer and social networker in general... so I don't even really need to call her all that often.

I think it is a bit sad that the art of a chat on the phone is being lost. The extended family has spread all over the country and now that the chat is dying out a good bit you only hear snippets about things if at all. Whatever else you might say about it, spending halfa n hour chatting to one person now and then is probably good you. Extracts you from your own world and forces you to focus on one person other than yourself. If you're having a proper chat you can't be on facebook "chatting" to 4 people at once (yet not really paying attention to any of them). I'm not conveying this properly at all. People are very stuck in their own digital worlds where they control what they want to see and hear from other people. All very selfish (and I don't mean selfish vindictive, selfish nasty or anything, just self-centred selfish). A lot less selfish to actually listen to everything someone wants to tell you.

In all of this, it's the old people I feel sorry for. They call for a chat and people don't seem to have the patience to sit down and have a chat with them any more. Sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I just had a friend ring me up earlier actually and we were on the phone for an hour talking about nothing in particular. It was nice, reminded me of being in secondary school, having no credit and having 2 hour conversations on the house phone.

I had to hang up after 59 minutes and ring my friends back so the call would be free :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭TwoBirds

I usually have at least one "just for a chat" every day. 48 lads, quite the network - doubt I'd bother if I was being charged for calls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

eth0 wrote: »
    I'm not sure about the cost aspect of it. People have minutes to burn now, get 200 a month myself and I can't get through them. Then there is all the different VoiP services so it has never been easier to call for free but people just dont do it except maybe for business and a few close people in their family

This is very true. For all the talk about VoIP and all that I find that not many people use it at all for personal calls, my Skype contact list has hardly 20 people on it. People just can't be bothered setting it up or don't know how. Texting and calling is too convienient. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

After I graduated, for a long time my bestie lived at home MILES away. Every week we would make time for our phone call, usually lasted about an hour.

Now she is back in the big smoke, we will call each other randomly after work and end up getting dinner and sloshed.

Still call people just to chat though. Especially on my lunch break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

I skype my sister and a few friends regularly enough, but it's not as random as a phonecall because we have to arrange a time when we're going to be online. I would love if a friend just rang me up out of the blue for a chat. Haven't experienced that in years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Used to 5-10yrs ago when we didn't have cell phones.
    Now never really do that anymore.

I find people just don't bother communicating with people properly anymore because of text messages and Facebook.
    Now everyone regularly stays in touch with everyone else no matter where they are because of Facebook but because of the nature of the medium of Facebook, the communications are of a very poor quality. Which is why I left Facebook. I'ld rather someone gave me a call and have a nice proper conversation with me than write some trifle on my Facebook "wall". But then unfortunately because of this I've also lost touch with majority of the people who were once my friends and now I can't even consider them my friends anymore because I've simply fallen out of contact with them since I deleted my Facebook account!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I don't own a cell phone or a pager. I just hang around everyone I know, all the time.
    If someone wants to get a hold of me, they just say 'Mitch,' and I say 'what?' and turn my head slightly.
    Mitch Hedberg

Genius !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

I miss the 1990s. Social media is a pain in the hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Ah I could be talking to the best friend for an hour and not notice.
    Hard to beat a good blather!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Don't get that many people calling me these days :( - wouldn't mind but I've got a rather cool ringtone.

I'd rather talk to people rather than text, text messages can make conversations disjointed and if you don't reply to someone straight away they mightn't reply for ages or won't bother replying at all. Not a big fan of touchscreens either.

Some people seem to have a fear of calling - one girl I'm friends with never calls, not once in almost 10 years! Tis terrible Joe.

I pretty much agree with this. I find a lot of things get pretty lost in texts too, unless it's just the standard 'I'll meet you in a half an hour' type thing. Some people take offence to things that are said in texts that weren't meant to be offensive, just cos they've picked it up wrong. I'm terrible for replying too. I always just read it and then go, 'oh I'll reply in a minute' and then just forget. Calls are more to the point, I feel.

Can't be dealing with the touch screens either.

My parents still do the 'I'll call you for a chat' thing, mainly because our family is pretty scattered all over the place and they're too technologically retarded to work out Skype, so they just call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Wow i thought the majority would've been "yes", but seeing as the majority of Boardsies are male then i suppose it makes sense. Girls chat way more than lads so if it was a male v female poll id say it'd be the other way around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I don't have a phone, or a mobile, or a landline, and I love no chat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

My mother called me "for a chat" After a minute I said, "anyway what has you ringing?" She got awfully offended.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

yeah, fab scene, first thing that came to mind. lol.

back in the dark ages (the 80s/90s) they say people called in person to another person's house UNANNOUNCED!!!

Yep. That's what they say.

Thankfully Americanism (as I call it, ie, 'I'd prefer if you called first') and technology got rid of that threat.

phew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

ArtSmart wrote: »
    yeah, fab scene, first thing that came to mind. lol.

back in the dark ages (the 80s/90s) they say people called in person to another person's house UNANNOUNCED!!!

Yep. That's what they say.

Thankfully Americanism (as I call it, ie, 'I'd prefer if you called first') and technology got rid of that threat.

phew.

My great uncle is an old bachelor who lives in the arse end of nowhere. When we visited a few years back my granny let us into the house through the back door then drove round to the pub to tell him we're there and to come home for a bite to eat. He has no phone and didn't know we were coming!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

OP what's your number, I'll call ya for an aul chat some time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement