Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which way to place a fan inside a case

Options
  • 16-10-2012 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am getting mulitable answers to this, I have installed a i thinks its a 120mm fan on the front of my case and Im not to sure to have it blowing in or out? If its blowing in its then sucking dust and other crap into the case wouldn't it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Blowing in at the front. If it's a halfway decent case it will have dust filters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Blowing in at the front. If it's a halfway decent case it will have dust filters.

No dust filter, I know a family member needed a motherboard replaced case the fan was incorrectly installed and was spitting dust and dirt on to the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

You want cool air coming in low and on the front and exiting at the back and top.

If there was no air blowing through the case, then there'd be no point in fans at all. You have to put up with the dust to a certain extent. You can clean it out in six months anyway, unless you smoke because then it gets messy. Really manky and disgusting actually.

Monotype wrote: »
    You want cool air coming in low and on the front and exiting at the back and top.

If there was no air blowing through the case, then there'd be no point in fans at all. You have to put up with the dust to a certain extent. You can clean it out in six months anyway, unless you smoke because then it gets messy. Really manky and disgusting actually.

So install a fan blowing out the back and blowing in at the front?

And nope I don't smoke. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

stevek93 wrote: »
    So install a fan blowing out the back and blowing in at the front?

And nope I don't smoke. :D
    Yeah.
    You could always get one of these to help http://www.quietpc.com/qpc-filters. It won't stop all the dust though.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

You want cool air coming in low

Damn is that why the fans are so low on the Bitfenix Prodigy? I moved mine up, because the HDD cage is obstructing the airflow. Why is it better off being low?

Andy!! wrote: »
    Damn is that why the fans are so low on the Bitfenix Prodigy? I moved mine up, because the HDD cage is obstructing the airflow. Why is it better off being low?

Because heat rises. If you had the fan, say, halfway up the case, a graphics card that is placed low in the case mightn't be getting any fresh air.

But isnt it rising to be met by the cool stream of the fans and therefore is getting pushed out? Do SSDs/HDDs produce heat?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

Andy!! wrote: »
    But isnt it rising to be met by the cool stream of the fans and therefore is getting pushed out? Do SSDs/HDDs produce heat?

Everything electrically powered will produce head..one of the propertites of electricity.. But the vary in the amount of heat they will produce..generally HDD and SSD produce very little heat..

Yes you pull in cool air that "absorbes heat from components and rises to be pulled out by the fan..

And in the prodigy can't the bottom HDD cage be totally removed..you still have 2 or 3 that are in the mid of the case I think and an SSD can be installed anywhere using Velcro or something..

• Advertisement

Aye you can remove it but the HDD wont go anywhere else then :( I tried to remove the bay and flip it up to where the ODD bay would be screwed in but no go, the holes are in different places :( So I had to use the bay. My SSD is mounted on the door. Should have probably gone with a 2.5" HDD; there are screw holes for that size on the floor of the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

You want fans down low to bring in the fresh cool air. That will then heat and rise and leave through the top vents.

This picture shows good airflow for my case which is the Haf-X It will generally be the same for most other case

nXca9.jpg

As you can see the air rises and leaves through the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

unless you smoke because then it gets messy. Really manky and disgusting actually.

This cannot be emphasized enough.

Built a lovely little rig for my brother and called over a month later to find all the grills clocked to f'ck.

Eugh.

It voids the warranty of a Mac if you smoke near it. :D

Handy if you want to sabotage someone's machine that you don't like. :pac:

Heres a PC with smoke damage :eek:

windowsanswers_hardwarecare_threats_html_m2cee6818.jpg

Jaysus.

ED E wrote: »
    Jaysus.

Scary to think that could be inside you.

Thank f'ck I dont smoke.

Advertisement