Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dodgy email

Options
  • 16-10-2012 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭

hows things all.

didnt know if this is the right forum to put this in so mods feel free to move it.

i just logged into my email account and found an email from the co-operative bank saying:

dear customer (my email address here)

this email has been sent to inform you that your account will be deactivated within the next 24 hours due to several unsuccessful login attempts on your account. to prevent this to happen please login securely to our activation link below.

now its fairly obvious that this is a scam - id never even heard of this particular bank before i recieved this email never mind have an account with them. but my question is how should i proceed? should i be worried or should i just delete the email and forget about it?

any advice would be appreciated.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's a phising scam to get you to go to their page and login, in which case they can snatch your details.
    It's nothing to worry about, just delete the mail if you never heard of the bank before.
    They send them out to 100.000s of mail addresses they found on the net and just wait for someone to fall for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

It's phishing. They send those sorts of things to every address they can get their tentacles on. Some people might have accounts in the bank, panic, and enter a load of private info and passwords etc into a fake login page. Then the phisher gets their bank details and passwords etc.

Just delete the email and forget about it - while remembering to be careful about email links to any sort of login pages of course (even ones that look like they came from your friends).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭sonic85

thanks for the replies lads. yeah i wouldnt click on anything i thought was a scam. ive had email addresses for years but this is the first really dodgy piece of mail ive ever received!

wasnt quite sure what to do whether to report it or just delete it and forget about it so just said id look for a bit of advice.

thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Got this today, if it's the mail you're referring to:
    Total scam, by just googling a part of the mail or the sender you'll find out
    www.google.ie/search?q="FirstAlert%40firstbanknigeria.com"
    Dear valued customer,

you are required to update your internet banking now, this update is compulsory to avoid termination of your internet banking. We are pleased to inform you about the latest features in our internet banking which requires that you must update your internet banking profile immediately to avoid interruption of your internet banking services. The update is simple and easy to complete, the process requires the use of your token device, the token validation is improves the authentication of your transactions.
    Click on https://www.1stbanknigeria-online.com/update to start the update now

Thank you for banking with FirstBank
    This is an auto-generated mail. Please do not reply. For enquiries on FirstBank products and services, please call 0700FIRSTCONTACT (0700-34778-2668228), 01-4445500, 0708-662-5000 or email: FirstbankContact@firstbanknigeria.com

Advertisement