Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindle

Options
  • 16-10-2012 8:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭

I need to Christmas shop early for her indoors and I was thinking of a Kindle. Are they the best e-reader and where is the best place to get one. There seems to be loads of variations and a bit confusing to the uninitiated

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

I have the kindle with wifi, it's great but a friend of mine bought the kobo ereader and I think it's better! Comes in different colours too
    http://www.kobo.com/ereaders/

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭chelbi

oldyouth wrote: »
    I need to Christmas shop early for her indoors and I was thinking of a Kindle. Are they the best e-reader and where is the best place to get one. There seems to be loads of variations and a bit confusing to the uninitiated

Cheers

Hi I have a kindle wifi with 3G and have to say I love it, it's the 1st ebook reader that I have owned so I have nothing to compare it to but if I had to get another one I think I would still go with the kindle :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Thanks both of you. Do you get these things direct from the company or is there a better source?

oldyouth wrote: »
    Thanks both of you. Do you get these things direct from the company or is there a better source?

If you are buying from Amazon, you have to register with Amazon.com and your Kindle would come from America and when buying books you would be buying from the .com store. When I bought mine almost 2 years ago I was about to go to the UK to visit my in-laws so I had it shipped there, I already had my Credit card registered with .co.uk and just got them to post it out to be honest it makes no difference where it comes from (America or UK) as far as Amazon goes. I see them selling in Argos and Tesco now though so I am guessing you would just need to register it with Amazon and start reading, If you other half likes gadgets and loves to read she will love you for ever if you get her one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭bombadil

I note the kindle touch is now discontinued and being replaced by the kindle paper... now includes backlit screen for night time reading (or reading in cupboards!) The screen is also white compared with the grey colour of the original.. due for release Christmas week! Might be a little bit tight time wise to rely on it for a present this year! I have the kindle 3G keyboard and very ahppy with it.. the 3G allows for unlimited internet use.. althoug hthis is rather clunky.. good enough for text based internet such as email, wikipedia etc.... and free!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭heathersonline

bombadil wrote: »
    I note the kindle touch is now discontinued and being replaced by the kindle paper... now includes backlit screen for night time reading (or reading in cupboards!) The screen is also white compared with the grey colour of the original.. due for release Christmas week! Might be a little bit tight time wise to rely on it for a present this year! I have the kindle 3G keyboard and very ahppy with it.. the 3G allows for unlimited internet use.. althoug hthis is rather clunky.. good enough for text based internet such as email, wikipedia etc.... and free!

These are available from tesco direct in the uk. There's a voucher on HUKD which knocks £10 off, total cost delivered via parcel motel is £105 which is cheaper than the touch in tescos. Also, they're in stock (not sure how they managed that when amazon don't have them!!). Mine is en route

Hi is anyone using the Kindle paperwhite, my kindle is on it's last legs and I am looking to buy a new one..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

chelbi wrote: »
    Hi is anyone using the Kindle paperwhite, my kindle is on it's last legs and I am looking to buy a new one..

Yes m8, I have the paperwhite and it's the business.
    Have an ipad 3 retina, a Nexus 7 and the wife has the Kindle keyboard, and I go for the paperwhite every time.

Yes m8, I have the paperwhite and it's the business.
    Have an ipad 3 retina, a Nexus 7 and the wife has the Kindle keyboard, and I go for the paperwhite every time.

Thx for that Zimmerframe, what do you think of the Nexus.. I was thinking about a mini tablet as a purchase in the near future and I can't decide between the samsung and the nexus!

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭HappyHarry

Thx for that Zimmerframe, what do you think of the Nexus.. I was thinking about a mini tablet as a purchase in the near future and I can't decide between the samsung and the nexus!

Galaxy Tab 2 7" has one of the lowest screen resolution's of 7" tablets. Nexus will always have the more up to date version of Android and get updates sooner than any other device. For these two reasons Nexus 7 wins hands down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

As Happy Harry posted above.
    The Nexus is the best "bang for your buck" in the Android 7" world.

Advertisement