Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need PC for Video editing

Options
  • 16-10-2012 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I got a GoPro Hero HD2 2weeks ago and i wanted to try some video editing, using pinnacle studio 16, of the clips (mostly Motorsport). However, i'm new to editing and know very little about computers.

My laptop is a Dell XPS M1330 (about 4yrs old) but does not seem to be able to deal with the clips, is very slow processing changes and any altering i do. (lad at work said my laptop might not be able for it so i'm here)

Laptop Specs are: RAM: 2.00 GB; Processor: Intel Pentium (R) Dual CPU T3200 2.00GHz; Harddrive: 150GB; Running on Vista

Do i need to upgrade?

Would a budget of 500-600e get me a good computer? i have read few posts of people who give you a spec in a budget and build them for you if you want.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

see if you can edit the footage that http://cineform.com/ converts it to, if not then you'll need a new pc

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Hi frozen,

I used cineform to convert MP4 to mov and now the video just freezes and sound only plays.

Is my laptop too old/crap to work with these clips?

Hi frozen,

I used cineform to convert MP4 to mov and now the video just freezes and sound only plays.

Is my laptop too old/crap to work with these clips?

basically, yeah. it sounds like it's actually your harddrive speed holding you back you could try replace the harddrive, but i'd say you would be safer off just getting a new pc

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Make a new thread, fill out the form first, and list how much you can spend, what you need to use it for, etc.

Personally, I've a quad CPU and 4GB of RAM, and would recommend a quad CPU for most video editing programs, as well as at least 4GB, but maybe 8 or 16 if you can.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Yeah I would say 8 is actually the minimum for decent video editing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

No reason not to go with at least 8 with how cheap RAM is nowadays anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

see if you can edit the footage that http://cineform.com/ converts it to, if not then you'll need a new pc

Compressing it was always just going to tax his CPU more. Until you get into decent CPU territory IO will never be the slowest link.

8GB minimum, leaving slots free for another 8 if needed later.

ED E wrote: »
    Compressing it was always just going to tax his CPU more. Until you get into decent CPU territory IO will never be the slowest link.

8GB minimum, leaving slots free for another 8 if needed later.

Cineform 444 can be up to 90MB/s and io will be a serious bottleneck if you're trying to stream two clips at the same time, and an even more serious bottleneck if you're trying to render multiple streams at the same time (since the video is being both read and written to the same drive)

8GB of ram would be a minimum. Having vegas, premiere, after effects, and photoshop open at the same time uses close to 5 GB, and thats without any project media... I peak at about 24GB usage, but only when being purposely careless about closing programs and keeping as much footage as I want in ramcache.

Advertisement