Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Defense of Giovanni Trappatoni

Comments

Trap is staying - statement from FAI

577383_10152216290295441_1795328642_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

mikeym wrote: »
    Give Trap a chance Sweden and Austria havent beaten us yet!!!!

Looks like we havent got any choice now anyway.

Anyone want my tickets for the aviva for the remaining qualifiers?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Trap is staying - statement from FAI

577383_10152216290295441_1795328642_n.jpg

They forgot to put the word "BELL" in after "manager."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

LOL - that killed this thread!!!!!!:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Liam O wrote: »
    You clearly haven't watched him enough if that's your opinion of him. He's a far better passer than people give him credit for but a far worse shooter.
    He has a good passing range, when I said shooter I should've said striker of the ball, but his awareness and picking the right pass aren't always correct. If you look at McCarthy for example he's always busier and better into positions and tactically aware
    You dont think he should be aware of every irish player playing in the epl??? How odd.

What about his extended run for Everton last season? You think it was acceptable for Paul Green to get on instead of him??
    Harte wasn't in the EPL at the time. Harte is 35, and hasn't played for Ireland in 5 years like there was a time about 3 or 4 years ago when he struggled to get a contract at Carlisle and lets be honest when he was playing for Ireland everyone thought he was a weak link and had to go. So on this basis I'd say that's why Trap wasn't made aware of him. If Trap had've called up a then 34 year old Harte he would have been slaughtered as having lost the plot and not giving youth a chance so he can't win either way.

Gibson only played 12 league games each in the last two seasons, 11 of the 12 last season were for Everton so it's not like he was knocking on the door for a chance with regular football. As I said before Paul Green is a different type of player, by bringing on defensive players you can sometimes push other midfielders forward and I gave the example of Benitez using Hamann and Mancini using De Jong to turn games using a method like this. Green has done well for Derby in the Championship the last few years so it's unfair on him that he's been singled out, he's a solid average player and sometimes squads need these types

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

kitakyushu wrote: »

They forgot to put the word "BELL" in after "manager."

Actually just write 'total spas' anywhere it says FAI. What a bunch of fools, why have such a public meeting and then support him?

Well it's obvious, they're worried about the future but now if it goes totally tits up, they can say 'well, we met in October and blah blah'

All they've done is protect their own worthless hides while destabilising the team a bit more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,080 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Did they just announce that he's staying?

That discussion show on TV3 just mentioned it as they were going off-air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

In fairness the FAI had to make a decision either way and the sooner it was taken the better.
    With no obvious managers available it makes sense to stick with trap for this campaign.

Worse case scenario we don't qualify for Rio, trap leaves followed by retirements from Andrews, Robbie and Ritchie. New manager arrives in new campaign and the rebuilding process can begin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

So the rot continues.... attendances will drop drastically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

gosplan wrote: »
    Actually just write 'total spas' anywhere it says FAI. What a bunch of fools, why have such a public meeting and then support him?

Well it's obvious, they're worried about the future but now if it goes totally tits up, they can say 'well, we met in October and blah blah'

All they've done is protect their own worthless hides while destabilising the team a bit more.

maybe they weren't unanimous? that would explain the meeting, the vote of confidence and some of the language in the statement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

Carlos_Ray wrote: »

maybe attendances won't , maybe people will look forward to sweden game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

2004 Euros - No playoff

2006 World Cup - No play off

2008 Euros - No play off

2010 WC - Play off

2012 Euros - Qualification

It ain't pretty but it is hardly rot.

maybe attendances won't , maybe people will look forward to sweden game

Anyone who pays to see the current Irish team play a friendly against Greece seriously needs to get their head checked.

I have been a regular to Irish games since I was a young child. This is the first campaign that I have decided to boycott. I went to see every game we played to qualify for the Euro's, and despite qualifying, it was the most painful series of Irish games I have ever paid to see. I refuse to pay between 50 and 100 Euro per ticket to see the disgusting brand of football that Trap has delivered. I know that many other regulars are of the same opinion as me.

The FAI will not get a cent more from me for the crap that they are delivering. Shame on them. We can now officially kiss goodbye to the international career of Shane Long. Trap will no doubt continue to play Keane in his new role of "invisible man." Only appearing to try and steal his team-mates goals.

As for Sweden... they're finishing second. Without a doubt. We'll be competing for third with Austria... f**king disgrace.

Looking forward to the Greece game actually.

Won Euro 2004

Finished top of their Qualifiying group in Euro 2008.

Qualified via play off for WC 2010

Won their Euro 2012 Qualifiying group.

It'll be ugly but they are a seriously competitive team - good test for whoever plays.

Anyone who pays to see the current Irish team play a friendly against Greece seriously needs to get their head checked.

I have been a regular to Irish games since I was a young child. This is the first campaign that I have decided to boycott. I went to see every game we played to qualify for the Euro's, and despite qualifying, it was the most painful series of Irish games I have ever paid to see. I refuse to pay between 50 and 100 Euro per ticket to see the disgusting brand of football that Trap has delivered. I know that many other regulars are of the same opinion as me.

The FAI will not get a cent more from me for the crap that they are delivering. Shame on them. We can now officially kiss goodbye to the international career of Shane Long. Trap will no doubt continue to play Keane in his new role of "invisible man." Only appearing to try and steal his team-mates goals.

As for Sweden... they're finishing second. Without a doubt. We'll be competing for third with Austria... f**king disgrace.

are you trying to be funny saying people shouldn't see irish team in games including friendly's , but some friendly's don''t get much there any ways depending who's playing
    true fans will support the irish team, simple as that,
    anti trap fans might as well stay at home, theres enough negativity without them .
    anti - trap people are like a bunch of kids who's didnt't get there way
    stay at home, come back in 2 years
    true die-hard fans will support the irish team . i know people who don't want trap but will still support the irish team in hope it helps and they want to be there ,

noodler wrote: »

Won Euro 2004

It'll be ugly but they are a seriously competitive team - good test for whoever plays.

The FAI should thank their lucky stars that there are people like you...

Someone looking forward to seeing Ireland ( worst team every to reach a Euro's) playing against Greece ( the worst/ most negative team to ever to win a Euro's), yea sounds like a thrilling encounter... Maybe Trap can give Paul Green another run out... give the fans value for their money.

Won Euro 2004

be nice to see what greece is like with the setup from faore island game

are you trying to be funny saying people shouldn't see irish team in games including friendly's , but some friendly's don''t get much there any ways depending who's playing
    true fans will support the irish team, simple as that,
    anti trap fans might as well stay at home, theres enough negativity without them .
    anti - trap people are like a bunch of kids who's didnt't get there way
    stay at home, come back in 2 years
    true die-hard fans will support the irish team . i know people who don't want trap but will still support the irish team in hope it helps and they want to be there ,

Cop on. There's a difference between supporting a team and being an idiot. Paying the exorbitant prices that the FAI have the cheek to charge Irish fans is idiotic. I paid €10 to watch Italy play while in Italy, and I'm expected to pay 50 to watch Trap's Ireland? Don't make me laugh.

Football is first and foremost about entertainment. If they can't even provide that... all the pseudo patriotism and national pride that follows is a waste of time and money.

Don't get me wrong... I still want Ireland to win... I just refuse to continue throwing money at the crap I have suffered through for the last 4 years.

seems according to vincent brown program trap been asked too attend more player club games and not to say to much about players in public, not sure if this is true or false as its a paper release but time will tell

• Advertisement

Cop on. There's a difference between supporting a team and being an idiot. Paying the exorbitant prices that the FAI have the cheek to charge Irish fans is idiotic. I paid €10 to watch Italy play while in Italy, and I'm expected to pay 50 to watch Trap's Ireland? Don't make me laugh.

Football is first and foremost about entertainment. If they can't even provide that... all the pseudo patriotism and national pride that follows is a waste of time and money.

Don't get me wrong... I still want Ireland to win... I just refuse to continue throwing money at the crap I have suffered through for the last 4 years.
    you the one with negative comments, so please

don't go , im sure i and other won't mind, in the end, supporting a team is for good and bad times, what its all about, do you don same at club games i wonder .
    i know plenty of people who travel far to go to game and make a game of it with family and they still go, that support ,
    some don't agree with trap and some do but all will still go to games
    so if you don't go, no big deal
    and wasn't 4 years of crap , was better what the stan did and kerr in there term , we didnt see any euros or wc with them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

I have absolutely no sympathy for Trapp and his management team. They deserve all the criticism they are getting. Remember hearing Stapleton defending him on Today FM in May and that langer Moicheal MacMullen:mad: never challenged him.

If it wasn't for the ridiculous money Trap was on they would be gone.

End of story.

More miserable football ahead for players and supporters. Same old FAI.

you the one with negative comments, so please

don't go , im sure i and other won't mind, in the end, supporting a team is for good and bad times, what its all about, do you don same at club games i wonder .
    i know plenty of people who travel far to go to game and make a game of it with family and they still go, that support ,
    some don't agree with trap and some do but all will still go to games
    so if you don't go, no big deal
    and wasn't 4 years of crap , was better what the stan did and kerr in there term , we didnt see any euros or wc with them

Is that you Trapattoni? If so, I suggest you give Manuela a call ASAP.

Why are people using Stan as the benchmark for the role of Irish manager? A blind and deaf monkey would have been better than Stan. Its like defending Angela Merkel by saying... well... she has a better record than Hitler!

Trap has done more bad than good for the Irish team. If you're fickle enough to allow scraping a place in the Euro's, only to be humiliated, to overshadow his failings then that's your prerogative but don't expect everyone else to.

Is that you Trapattoni? If so, I suggest you give Manuela a call ASAP.

Why are people using Stan as the benchmark for the role of Irish manager? A blind and deaf monkey would have been better than Stan. Its like defending Angela Merkel by saying... well... she has a better record than Hitler!

Trap has done more bad then good for the Irish team. If you're fickle enough to allow scraping a place in the Euro's, only to be humiliated, to overshadow his failings then that's your prerogative but don't expect everyone else to.

is all you can d is insult poster here and give negative bull , if so, move on
    trap is staying for a while more, get over and stop the horse##.
    most people don't like his way, i don't like some of what he did but theres a difference talking crap and being realistic.
    i didn't see FAI getting rid of him and I'm middle of qualifying for WC. didn't make sense too till after sweden and austria games , if a new manager came in now , wouldn't be enough time , most people with cop-on would see that.
    but anti trap fan club are so blind , they can't see that
    there's a time to be realistic and anti trap club can't do that , act like a bunch of kids who didn't get there way.
    so trap and company has couple more games, maybe he do good or maybe not, Ireland has a small chance , if anti trap club people can't support the team then there no true fans , true fans there for better or worse.
    but you know what, i know you say more of same
    are you related to dumphy or are you dumphy ????

I have absolutely no sympathy for Trapp and his management team. They deserve all the criticism they are getting. Remember hearing Stapleton defending him on Today FM in May and that langer Moicheal MacMullen:mad: never challenged him.

If it wasn't for the ridiculous money Trap was on they would be gone.

End of story.

More miserable football ahead for players and supporters. Same old FAI.

i would agree with you to a point but would hope better football and see more players get a chance to play, maybe trap will listen more now

is all you can d is insult poster here and give negative bull , if so, move on
    trap is staying for a while more, get over and stop the horse##.
    most people don't like his way, i don't like some of what he did but theres a difference talking crap and being realistic.
    i didn't see FAI getting rid of him and I'm middle of qualifying for WC. didn't make sense too till after sweden and austria games , if a new manager came in now , wouldn't be enough time , most people with cop-on would see that.
    but anti trap fan club are so blind , they can't see that
    there's a time to be realistic and anti trap club can't do that , act like a bunch of kids who didn't get there way.
    so trap and company has couple more games, maybe he do good or maybe not, Ireland has a small chance , if anti trap club people can't support the team then there no true fans , true fans there for better or worse.
    but you know what, i know you say more of same
    are you related to dumphy or are you dumphy ????

I could just as easily say that Trap supporters aren't true Irish fans because they are supporting the man who is destroying Irish football and alienating our best players. However, I won't because I understand that fans have a right to their own opinions.

I believe that its natural for fans to have different views. Its also quite normal for fans to criticise when they see fit to do so. For you to say that people who don't support Trap, regardless of the job he's doing, are not true fans, is frankly ridiculous.

I'm not related to Dunphy, but he was right on the money with his post match comments on Tuesday night.

• Advertisement

I could just as easily say that Trap supporters aren't true Irish fans because they are supporting the man who is destroying Irish football and alienating our best players. However, I won't because I understand that fans have a right to their own opinions.

I believe that its natural for fans to have different views. Its also quite normal for fans to criticise when they see fit to do so. For you to say that people who don't support Trap, regardless of the job he's doing, are not true fans, is frankly ridiculous.

I'm not related to Dunphy, but he was right on the money with his post match comments on Tuesday night.

you could just keep saying negative comments as in other posts,
    but true supports of IRISH TEAM will support them regardless , as they take the good with the bad , unlike others
    true fans get behind the team and not act like a bunch of kids who didn't get there own way,
    alot od fans in different sports support there clubs and teams and take the good with the bad , and theres the fans who just turn up when things are good and the way they like them , part time fans .
    funny thing is if trap was gone , the anti trap fans would be asking all fan to support the team but only on there terms .
    also funny thing is some of the fans you call trap fans don't like what some of what trap did and does but they stick behind the team , you can't say that
    you can't ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Won Euro 2004

If anything Greece are an example of how an effective manager can milk the very best out of a group of average players.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greece_national_football_team#Players

Apart from Samaras I doubt most of you know anything of any of these players, most of them are playing for mid level European teams of a similar standard to most of the EPL clubs our better players are playing at. Yet with the right attitude and good management they have made quite an impact in recent years (and I am going to hazard a guess that the Greeks did it on a lower budget than we have). People are saying things like we do not have enough any top 4team regular EPL players in the squad, yet compared o the Greek squad, the only potential top 4 challenger team there if they were English would be maybe Schalke04.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

If anything Greece are an example of how an effective manager can milk the very best out of a group of average players.

Apart from Samaras I doubt most of you know anything of any of these players, most of them are playing for mid level European teams of a similar standard to most of the EPL clubs are better players are playing at. Yet wit the right attitude and good management they have made quite an impact in recent years (and I am going to hazard a guess that the Greeks did it on a lower budget than we have)

Agreed. I watch the PAOK UEFA cup games last season so I was familiar with a handful of their players, but generally they have fairly unglamourous selection.

Almost the worst thing Greece ever did was win Euro2004 as it labelled them forever as these spoilers of football and "thieves" . So much so in a display of humour the Greece fans nicknamed their team "the pirate ship" as a comment on their of their ability to 'supposedly' steal victory and also a reflection of their nautical culture.

TBH that 2004 team is probably one of my all-time favourite teams and I still have a fondness for them now. If you can then try get a download of the final v Portugal recording from the "tactical" angle. If you're interested in tactics and how Greece won then it's a thing of simple beauty to behold.

The 2012 team played a little differently but certainly exceeded the sum of their part to get as far as they did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

People want to see new players yet say that Trap should stay. If you're doing one then you should do both at the same time and let them progress together.

We won't qualify out of this group so might as well have a new man learn the ropes now rather than at the start of the next campaign.

The FAI should thank their lucky stars that there are people like you...

Someone looking forward to seeing Ireland ( worst team every to reach a Euro's) playing against Greece ( the worst/ most negative team to ever to win a Euro's), yea sounds like a thrilling encounter... Maybe Trap can give Paul Green another run out... give the fans value for their money.

I don't know.

I play the game every week, have done for years.

Not a flash player myself - average ability, more about the pysical side.

I am not "excited" about the prospect of Ireland-Greece but I do at least accept that they are one of the continent's most consistent performers over the last decade.

They will provide the team with a test - every friendly can't be with a flash team. If you believe friendlies are in anyway beneficial to the manager and players for future games then surely there is a case to be made for playing a highly competitive team rather than just booking a slot with a nation who may look good but never qualfies for anything.

Apart from Samaras I doubt most of you know anything of any of these players, most of them are playing for mid level European teams of a similar standard to most of the EPL clubs our better players are playing at. Yet with the right attitude and good management they have made quite an impact in recent years (and I am going to hazard a guess that the Greeks did it on a lower budget than we have). People are saying things like we do not have enough any top 4team regular EPL players in the squad, yet compared o the Greek squad, the only potential top 4 challenger team there if they were English would be maybe Schalke04.

Yeah, their achievements have been utterly remarkable. Even right down to the 0-1 win over Russia in the Euros.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

This decision sets Irish international football back in a big way

The steady drop in our performances makes me think that we will only win at best three more games in this group, home to FI, Kaz and maybe Austria.

That will result in a bad seeding for Euro 2016 qualification and even though there are 24 teams tio go through it will still be tough.

Very disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

IMO, people are completely over reacting. There is no point in bringing in someone else (Who would that even be?) when we are on course to fight for second spot.

When we are no longer able to compete for second, that's when everyone can come out with their pitchforks for Trap. Then we can have a manager in place for the last 2 - 3 games of the campaign (assuming everyone is right about Trap and we have no hope of second) to get to grips with the team, stamp his own mark and be ready for the next campaign.

The idea that having Trap is a major setback to Ireland is over the top considering the state of Ireland under Kerr and Staunton.

I'm not denying he's made mistakes, huge ones and I still have issues with his team selections but he's still better than what we can get unless what we can get is Benitez who would probably cause even more outrage.

tok9 wrote: »
    IMO, people are completely over reacting. There is no point in bringing in someone else (Who would that even be?) when we are on course to fight for second spot.

When we are no longer able to compete for second, that's when everyone can come out with their pitchforks for Trap. Then we can have a manager in place for the last 2 - 3 games of the campaign (assuming everyone is right about Trap and we have no hope of second) to get to grips with the team, stamp his own mark and be ready for the next campaign.

The idea that having Trap is a major setback to Ireland is over the top considering the state of Ireland under Kerr and Staunton.

I'm not denying he's made mistakes, huge ones and I still have issues with his team selections but he's still better than what we can get unless what we can get is Benitez who would probably cause even more outrage.

If they were not willing to change now then they will not be willing to change after a few more games.

The terrible display against Germany, the shocking performance v Kaz, the abject performances at Euro 2012 only point to the fact that this team has no hope of making 2nd place, so why bother with the charade any longer.

If they were not willing to change now then they will not be willing to change after a few more games.

The terrible display against Germany, the shocking performance v Kaz, the abject performances at Euro 2012 only point to the fact that this team has no hope of making 2nd place, so why bother with the charade any longer.

was said already
    he there for another while , so get over it and maybe support the team

was said already
    he there for another while , so get over it and maybe support the team

It will be hard when they are going 4-0 down in Sweden.

But I'll still watch and look forward to a new manager sometime in late 2013 or early 2014

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,721 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

he should have gone after the euros, on good terms - instead , he's offered a renewed contract by the FAI - guess Delaney was enjoying the jolly too much !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

People are too quick to blame the manager and manager only for poor performances, without a 2nd thought to any of the multiple variables involved. In any sport wins breed confidence, coming into that Kaz game we were on the back end of some fairly comprehensive beatings from fantastic footballing teams. Going by strength of opposition this was probably our poorest performance under Trap, but imo understanding the game this was always going to be difficult after the Euros we had, but we did show enough resolve to dig it out dispite the performance which can't be ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

If we have no chance of second then the pressure on him to be sacked will be immense which is also quite funny as his successor will more than likely have no pressure to qualify.

Are you being serious about no hope!? We have 6 points out of 9 so far. The defeat against Germany was humiliating but we wouldn't have been expected to get any points from that game anyway, it would have been a bonus.

You'd swear we only had a point on the board. I'd take a **** performance and a win over playing well and a loss (I'm a liverpool fan so I get the best of both worlds here :) )

It will be hard when they are going 4-0 down in Sweden.

But I'll still watch and look forward to a new manager sometime in late 2013 or early 2014

look who we had in the group
    spain , world WC winners
    Croatia
    italy

is there a weak team is this group, yes or no
    very few people expected them to get out of group

germany game was crap but 3 goal by stupid mistakes
    you go on and on and on about reid like you expect like other anit trap club tha the make a difference, he wouldn't , not enough,
    get over it
    trap , like kerr what they had to pick from
    when mc carthy was there , anti manager people on here wanted him gone, same with kerr and now trap, and you still don't get it and won't ,
    irish players aren't good enough , ireland need more than a few good players to pcik from , need a whole new team to compete againist the likes of spain or italy or germany or england , portugal, , the list goes on and on,
    manager is only part of problem , theres other problems with players who simply can't do basic right and thats down mostly to players and not management but i know you wont get that either as was covered already
    daft suggestions like getting m . mccarthey or kerr back from people here, that horse ####
    they where tryed and wasn't good enough
    trap be gone when his contract runs out unless he does better , that up to him to get it together
    also why do you think top manager when asked wouldn't take irish job, it tells its own story ,
    funny thing same people here who anti manger will want next manager gone after 6 -12 months too , thats why you talk bull

Rekop dog wrote: »
    People are too quick to blame the manager and manager only for poor performances, without a 2nd thought to any of the multiple variables involved. In any sport wins breed confidence, coming into that Kaz game we were on the back end of some fairly comprehensive beatings from fantastic footballing teams. Going by strength of opposition this was probably our poorest performance under Trap, but imo understanding the game this was always going to be difficult after the Euros we had, but we did show enough resolve to dig it out dispite the performance which can't be ignored.

same people here who wanted kerr and mccarthy and now trap gone will ask for next manager gone after short time because thats all they can offer as as fix

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,118 ✭✭✭✭listermint

look who we had in the group
    spain , world WC winners
    Croatia
    italy

is there a weak team is this group, yes or no
    very few people expected them to get out of group

germany game was crap but 3 goal by stupid mistakes
    you go on and on and on about reid like you expect like other anit trap club tha the make a difference, he wouldn't , not enough,
    get over it
    trap , like kerr what they had to pick from
    when mc carthy was there , anti manager people on here wanted him gone, same with kerr and now trap, and you still don't get it and won't ,
    irish players aren't good enough , ireland need more than a few good players to pcik from , need a whole new team to compete againist the likes of spain or italy or germany or england , portugal, , the list goes on and on,
    manager is only part of problem , theres other problems with players who simply can't do basic right and thats down mostly to players and not management but i know you wont get that either as was covered already
    daft suggestions like getting m . mccarthey or kerr back from people here, that horse ####
    they where tryed and wasn't good enough
    trap be gone when his contract runs out unless he does better , that up to him to get it together
    also why do you think top manager when asked wouldn't take irish job, it tells its own story ,
    funny thing same people here who anti manger will want next manager gone after 6 -12 months too , thats why you talk bull

It has to be pointed out Keltic that your posts come across very incoherent. It would make it easier to reply if you structured them more and refrained from banging out lines on the keyboard.

Ive read various posts on the subject from you over the last day or so and find it quite difficult to read firstly and offer any sort of reply to your thoughts.

apologies

even westwood not good as goalkeeper , he's no given, given would have saved some of goal against Germany, o shea messed up bad several times
    we don't have a good a 11 players or even to pick from, most people know , some of these players will play better in clubs than country, its same in rugby

listermint wrote: »
    It has to be pointed out Keltic that your posts come across very incoherent. It would make it easier to reply if you structured them more and refrained from banging out lines on the keyboard.

Ive read various posts on the subject from you over the last day or so and find it quite difficult to read firstly and offer any sort of reply to your thoughts.

apologies

according to you maybe, but then again i be realistic
    we don't have the players, we can't pick a good starting 11 , even if players picked that people want here
    and i would say you another anti trap person and would mind what you post

ireland need more quailty in side outside whats on the field and on the bench and more important, maybe get them to hold onto the ball more than 30 seconds and pass better, basic stuff to make a game better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭littlesthobo

Higher wrote: »
    So could someone please explain to me again why he needs to go?

The style of football has been found out. No variation. Teams know how we are going to play. Overlooking players playing in the premier league in favour of players in lesser leagues, barely considering them even. Not going to matches. Communication breakdowns. Telling the players they're ****, constantly, (what manager does this? seriously??). Playing robbie keane when he's clearly past his best. Making him captain despite being anonymous when you need him most. He has been lucky in key games eg in Russia, drawing Estonia in playoff.. He'd definatly be gone had we lost in Kazakstan.

I can accept being beaten by so called better teams, its the manner of the defeats that has been hard to take. Sweden go down 4-0 against Germany and you get a reaction. Our players were incapable of reacting. That's down to management.

I am willing to get behind trap and the team as the decision has been made but i hope the whole debacle has made trap think about how he has been conducting himself and maybe realise that when a bankrupt association is paying you 1.4m a yr you must try harder

tok9 wrote: »
    If we have no chance of second then the pressure on him to be sacked will be immense which is also quite funny as his successor will more than likely have no pressure to qualify.

Are you being serious about no hope!? We have 6 points out of 9 so far. The defeat against Germany was humiliating but we wouldn't have been expected to get any points from that game anyway, it would have been a bonus.

You'd swear we only had a point on the board. I'd take a **** performance and a win over playing well and a loss (I'm a liverpool fan so I get the best of both worlds here :) )

Ok so we have 6 points by beating the two worst teams in the group, and in one of those games we did not deserve a point let alone three but we managed to get them.

So what we have left are five games v the better teams in the group and 2 games against the minnows.

Based on the way we are playing I am giving us the following very optimistic predictions

Sweden (A) - Loss
    Austria (H) - Draw
    Faroe Islands (H) - Win
    Sweden (H) - Draw
    Austria (A) - Draw
    Germany (A) - Loss
    Kaz (H) - Win

That give us a very optimistic 9 points to add to our current total of 6, giving us 15, which will not be enough for second.

Sweden have the following games and being very optimistic (from a ROI POV) they may be the follwing

ROI (H) - Draw
    Austria (A) - Draw
    Faroe (H) - Win
    ROI (A) - Loss
    KAZ (A) - Win
    Austria (H) - Draw
    Germany (H) - Loss

That gives them 9 points, to add to their 7 makes 16.

So being very generous to Ireland and very hopeful that Sweden f**k up they will still beat us to second place.

You cannot overlook the performance and just look at the result, Ireland v Kazakhstan was an example of that, you will not get away with that sort of performance against teams ranked 2nd, 2st and 59th in the world.

the time for a change was this week to get a new manager to bring in the best players and play a 'less rigid' style, bust alas we are left with this until this time next year at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

I have to say John o'shea has let The team down. One of the most experienced players in the team, he failed to Step up to the plate when needed. Clearly not a centre half and was caught out for the goal against the faroes. He was also horrific in the euros.
    Basically you cannot lose your 2 first choice centre half's and goalkeeper, not to mention our top scorer of all time and expect to be able to compete with one of the best german teams of all time.

even westwood not good as goalkeeper , he's no given, given would have saved some of goal against Germany, o shea messed up bad several times
    we don't have a good a 11 players or even to pick from, most people know , some of these players will play better in clubs than country, its same in rugby

We have a good 11 to pick from.

I completely agree that we lack strength in depth generally though. Even still, our defence was only ripped apart by four of the best teams in the world.

Specifically though, I have massive doubts about Westwood.

He has played two and a half games in the best part of a year - he has to consider a move away from Sunderland.

Ok so we have 6 points by beating the two worst teams in the group, and in one of those games we did not deserve a point let alone three but we managed to get them.

So what we have left are five games v the better teams in the group and 2 games against the minnows.

Based on the way we are playing I am giving us the following very optimistic predictions

Sweden (A) - Loss
    Austria (H) - Draw
    Faroe Islands (H) - Win
    Sweden (H) - Draw
    Austria (A) - Draw
    Germany (A) - Loss
    Kaz (H) - Win

That give us a very optimistic 9 points to add to our current total of 6, giving us 15, which will not be enough for second.

Sweden have the following games and being very optimistic (from a ROI POV) they may be the follwing

ROI (H) - Draw
    Austria (A) - Draw
    Faroe (H) - Win
    ROI (A) - Loss
    KAZ (A) - Win
    Austria (H) - Draw
    Germany (H) - Loss

That gives them 9 points, to add to their 7 makes 16.

So being very generous to Ireland and very hopeful that Sweden f**k up they will still beat us to second place.

You cannot overlook the performance and just look at the result, Ireland v Kazakhstan was an example of that, you will not get away with that sort of performance against teams ranked 2nd, 2st and 59th in the world.

the time for a change was this week to get a new manager to bring in the best players and play a 'less rigid' style, bust alas we are left with this until this time next year at least.

It all comes down to us not realistically being able to afford a loss in Stockholm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,118 ✭✭✭✭listermint

according to you maybe, but then again i be realistic
    we don't have the players, we can't pick a good starting 11 , even if players picked that people want here
    and i would say you another anti trap person and would mind what you post

This whole post is an example of what i was writing about. Incoherent i would imagine i would have the ability to understand you in person but missing words and incomplete sentences are not adequate to portray your sentiments on the matter.

And what does 'would mind what you post' mean ? Is that some sort of thinly veiled threat.

Advertisement