Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Care assistant training/ jobs

Options
  • 16-10-2012 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Just wondering does anyone know about fetac level 5 for work as a care assistant/ home help? A few private training courses seem to be charging 1700 euro, and then an agency I spoke to will train you and take the cost of the training from your wages at 35euro a month for two years while you are working for them.
    Does anyone know if this is as good as it sounds? They will employ me while Im training so I'd be happy about that- or is there a better way to go about training/ finding employment in this area? Any help would be greatly appreciated as its an area Ive just started to look in to.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Contact your local VEC and see are they running any courses.

They certainly won't charge those sort of amounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Dores

I did one in Dorset College and I would recommend it as a good one. It is part time (one day a week) so it is good for those in full time employment.
    But if you don't have any work experience ( I think) that would be better to take a full time course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 florence3

Thanks Spurious I just found one run by the vec. Dores do you mind me asking is it possible to get care work while training?- I have care experience with a relative- but dont know how to go about getting work now. Thank you for your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Dores

Home care agencies like Comfort Keepers or Bluebird, are very flexible due to many different clients. They very often advertise jobs on FAS.
    Nursing Homes and other 24h care places are more strict.

Advertisement