Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New to Irish FS and need Help

• 16-10-2012 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

I am a real life pilot who wants to give Flight Sim a go.

I have FSX on my laptop now and I have the saitek kit.

How do I get live Irish "virtual" ATC on while I am playing FS?

Whats this VatEir thing about?

Thanks.

p.s Is it worth buying the saitek multi panels etc do you guys think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Hey there.

I used FSX to help me when doing my PPL, and I used VatEir / VatSim to help me get used to Radio work.

A good place to start would be here :

http://www.vatsim.net/

You can follow the links (VatSim Pilots - Pilot Software) to download the Software you need. Once it's up and running (and I think you need to register an account as well, basic stuff really) you can run FSX and enable the VatSim software. Then, with a mic/speakers, you can basically talk to an online controller. Just like in real life, you can lodge a flight plan before flying. In general, there might only be a couple of controllers on (say in Shannon and Dublin) so you might end up talking to them even if you're just doing circuits at Weston. The website has forums etc. as well, and the controllers are all very helpful so you get used to how it's done online.

As for the multipanels, I didn't use them (I found the Yoke / Throttle had enough buttons for the more common tasks) but of course they do add realism if you want it (and can afford it). It's really a personal choice. Maybe start with just the standard Yoke / Throttle and then see if you'd rather have the panels as well, especially as you're just trying FSX to see, no point spending too much money up front.

Finally, depending on the Laptop you might find that FSX is sluggish, especially if you try to get any decent level of detail / realism. A lot of people say FSX on a laptop is a complete no-go, but once again that really comes down to personal preference as well. Do you want to use FSX just to 'get' you into a cockpit, or do you want to use it to see beautiful detailed scenery, clouds and sun-flare? I downloaded an add-on for the Piper Warrior (the aircraft I did my PPL in) which was really helpful, as basically I was looking at the exact same cockpit whether I was in the aircraft or sitting at home. There are also some good scenary updates out there for Ireland (see the VFR Scenery thread here in Virtual Flying) that make the landscape below a lot more accurate.

Hope that helps a little...

J.

Actually, I just noticed a Sticky at the top of the page which also has a lot of info on VatSim as well...

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Jesus Nut

For some reason, when I apply Braking using my Saitek Peddles, insted of activating the brakes, it turns the Yoke!!!!

Left Brake = Turns Yoke to the Left on my C172 on FSX
    Right Brake = Pulls Yoke back on my C172 on FSX

How do I fix this?

I just want it to be a Brake when I press the peddles. I installed the CD right I am pretty sure.

Thanks.

Sounds like the axis are mixed up. As the brakes can be differential, I think they're actually set up as two different axis instead of just a brake on/off switch. And it sounds like they're mixed up with the Left turn/Right turn axis.

Pretty certain this is a setting in FSX, in the Controls section, you can choose what's assigned to the yoke and brakes, and somewhere in there it's set incorrectly I reckon...

J.

Another 2 questions guys! Sorry...

1. What Key do you press to get the GPS up? I can't get my GPS to appear on the screen ??

2. I have a freind who also has FSX. We wan't to fly multiplayer but we cannot figure out how to fly together over the internet ? Seems very complicated.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭BeardySi

1. It depends on the panel.cfg file of the particular aircraft you're in - different planes can have the panel components in different orders. It'll be SHIFT+"a number" usually about SHIFT+5/6 Most panels will have a button on the 2D panel and you can usually find it in the Window menu at the top of the screen (use ALT to activate the menu bar if flying in full screen).

2. Can't help you there I'm afraid :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

I went on Vatsim some time ago. It was very good but I was more nervous than I would be in real life. I was sitting there in Sligo airport all set to go. But wasn't sure what next. When the EISN controller contacted me. That doesn't happen in reality! I got all flustered and he probably thought I was a total pleb.:D

It was surprising how professional some of the other pilots sounded on the r/t cruising overhead at FL340 or whatever as did the 'controller'.

Got the GPS working :) Thanks Guys
    Shift + 3

Now, the Multiplayer is the next thing!!!

One of you guys must know how to get it going???

Advertisement