Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Johns Green "Improvements"

Options
  • 16-10-2012 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭

Much as I hate bashing the Council again, what are they at with John Green? Talk about making something worse. Why create a dead-end outside the Centra when there was no need for one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Saw this myself today, It's made it worse rather than better and people dont know where to turn so it ends up in chaos!

More money thrown down the drain when there is no need for it. madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

I sent the county a complaint about this yesterday. I feel sorry for the Centra and the vegetable shop. I got this email from the internet don't know if it will go to the right department. info@kilkennycoco.ie But its coming to year end and it will probabally end up like the College Road fiasco and end up been dug in Jan again. I am really fed up with my tax money being spend to kepp them in jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I'm surprised this hasn't come up already. The cul de sac was a very bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

catbear wrote: »
    I'm surprised this hasn't come up already. The cul de sac was a very bad idea.

What purpose does it serve other than make life more difficult for motorists and the local businesses at the pin of their collars paying rates for this waste?

I'd be fuming if I was either of those stores. Must be a nightmare even with deliveries and stuff now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

I came down Gas Works Lane on Saturday, and didn't realise they'd closed off the road there.

There's both a no through road and no right turn sign...so where are you supposed to go?!?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

brettmirl wrote: »
    There's both a no through road and no right turn sign...so where are you supposed to go?!?!

Priceless!

People need to complain about this, as I said I have already. The one thing that infuriates me is they probablly did this design on purpose knowing it was falwed so they will have to dig it up and jusify tneir need for a while more.

They have an electric car charger installed there too. Is there even electric cars on our roads?

There's a few Nissan Leafs around and I think Renault do one or two.
    Hope that does not get vandalised or something. I think there is a govt scheme on the go so I'd say all towns/cities are getting them.

femur61 wrote: »
    People need to complain about this, as I said I have already. The one thing that infuriates me is they probablly did this design on purpose knowing it was falwed so they will have to dig it up and jusify tneir need for a while more.

I agree. Just like what happend on College road. Then they complain they have no resources to fix pot holes ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

The re-signed most of the ringroad as well, and introduced some (short lived) speed limit signs on ormonde bridge (which dissapeared a short while later).

They also dug up and resurface the Kells road roundabout & enviorns... at it for weeks with no appreciable difference.

What do they be at eh?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

They have an electric car charger installed there too. Is there even electric cars on our roads?

Yep there are alright, only right charge points are installed for them

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NoGutsNoGlory

the complete johns green improvement works went through the public planning process and all local shops etc,, were involved and there observations taken on board..
    if you study the design, it creates a carpark for the shops with a proper loading bay.
    if all you have to post is negative comments .. why bother.. johns green required an upgrade and when the project is complete, it will be look great..
    the electric car charge is obviously a thing for the future... do ye not read the papers...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I would prefer to be able to just assume that the 'proper planning process' works and that if i chose not to spend all my time scrutinising every single piece of development that's done in the town, it would be done properly anyway.

Yet sadly this is not the case. They invariably seem to fk up the simplest of tasks.

[ did he ask the retailers in Johns Green? There are only two. COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

The works currently ongoing at Johns Green are an absolute joke. Instead of coming down Gas House Lane and driving straight out of Johns Green as per usual - it is now blocked. Now all of the traffic is stuck coming in and out of the one junction. It's a nightmare on the way to work now. Traffic coming from John St., Wolfe Tone St., cars leaving and entering Johns Green and cars leaving and entering the large €2 car park all on the same junction. Also the width of the new entrance/exit of Johns Green can barely accommodate 2 cars. The other morning there was a large truck in the new loading bay - it blocked the view of the oncoming traffic from John St, making it very dangerous pulling out of the junction.
    As for the reply from Fitzgerald, I doubt they consulted any business. I'm involved in a city centre business and we have never been consulted about any works from the council. Any time that we made a submission about anything to council it was always ignored. The council are ruining Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

if you study the design, it creates a carpark for the shops with a proper loading bay.
    .........when the project is complete, it will be look great..

do you have a link to the plans fro what it will look like when it it is complete? love to see them.
    I think it cleans the place up a bit.
    the reduciton of car park spaces is a bit frustrating and probably will affect centra if i am honest

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NoGutsNoGlory

as far as i know. there is a drawing of the finished design in the window of the johns green council office. otherwise call into the town hall.

do not accept your complaint . There is more than adequate space available to make all the necessary turning movements . All parking spaces , carriageway widths , loading bay design , and junction curves are far in excess of the required standard . I would appreciate if you could wait until the surfacing has been completed and the markings re-instated before you comment as some injudicious and inconsiderate parking is not helping at the moment . However an increased presence by the traffic wardens over the next few days should prove helpful .

In addition pls. note that the area was designed particularly with pedestrians in mind as the general population in the area is elderly . Finally there is no complaint from the commercial premises who have expressed satisfaction with the new arrangement .

Kieran Fitzgerald

Well Kieran has just told me a blatant lie. I was talking to the green grocery shop this morning and they have met with Mr. Fitzgerald and guess what, they have met with him and complained. Good to see my tax is paying to be lied to.

Advertisement