Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waxing after Laser/ Electrolysis

• 16-10-2012 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

Back story: I have always had (well, since 18) some facial hair around the lip/chin area that needed removing. I got it waxed a couple of times, but almost straight away turned to electrolysis, which worked really well. Later on (in the last 2 years) I changed to laser removal, which also worked fantastically. Both of those technicians said that waxing was not a good solution.

Fast forward to now, and I'm pregnant, so electrolysis and laser treatments are out. Hormones mean that my facial hair is slightly darker, and I feel like it's horribly visible (I'm sure it's not that bad though!). I've been researching it, and waxing or shaving seems the only safe option during pregnancy.

Will waxing remove all the 'good' I've done by sticking to laser treatment in the last 2 years? I'm worried that it will make the situation worse long term. Also, I haven't been waxed in over 10 years - will the effect be more or less the same as laser, ie can I expect smooth, clear skin after it (as much as I normally have anyway!)?

Any advice would be great guys, thank you so much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 xsarab

hi there
    firstly, congratulations on pregnancy :-)

as regards waxing, you should be fine as the laser travels down hair shaft to root to kill it, therefore any hair at the moment wasnt removed or affected by laser. i would advise a hot/stripless wax as it encases the hair to remove it, also less painful :-)
    Pregnancy can cause some unwanted hair growth so id advise a hair minimising product ie "king of shaves" hair minimising spritz, these work by getting into the follicle and slowing down or killing hair growth. perhaps check ingredients first but imo it should be fine as its applied topically.

after waxing you will have that nice smooth feeling and should remain that way for a few weeks :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭holding

Thanks a million for the reply. I didn't realise that the hair at the moment wouldn't have been affected by the laser, that it is 'different' hair I guess. I will go for the hot wax when I go in. Pregnancy does cause some unwanted 'differences' about the body alright! I am learning that as I go along! Haha it will all be worth it in the end though :) Thanks for the reassurance re the feeling, I was afraid of stubble. Feel quite a bit more relieved now! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

I wouldn't ever wax the face it could stimulate even more dormant follicles. Could you try bleaching or just trimming it for the time being. You could try Appisonix,its non invasive so presumably safe when pregnant,it would keep the hairs at bay for the time being anyway until you can go back to electrolysis/laser

Thanks Jadie. I had never heard of Applisonix before, it sounds great. I rang a salon that does it and they said it should be avoided during pregnancy; they said the only really safe thing was to wax :( I guess it is only for 6 more months! I'm looking forward to getting back to the laser, it really suited me, as the hairs are quite dark. I have been trimming in the interim period while stopping laser and wondering about waxing, and it's a real pain, stubbly and uncomfortable, and I have to do it every day or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭Ciara 5

would you try threading? I find it great last for up to a month.

• Advertisement

I've never tried that before, but I will read up on it now, thank you :)

Hi guys just to say that I went for a threading session the other day and was really really impressed with it. The beautician explained how it didn't take the top layer of skin off, like waxing did, so it was gentler on sensitive skin. I was afraid my pain threshold would be lower because of hormones etc but found it wasn't very painful at all, it was about on a par with laser. Anyhow, delighted now, and thanks so much for the advice I received here. A lot more confident going out and about now! :)

Advertisement