If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing a Marantz pm7000 amplifier

Options
  • 16-10-2012 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

Hi, I'm just looking for a bit of advice.
    I'm thinking of replacing my Marantz pm7000 amplifier, (having a few problems with it).

I bought it about 10 years ago in richersounds and have been really happy with it. But because it's been 10 yrs since I did a bit of research into it, I'm a bit out of touch as to what would be a worthy replacement.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Google is a barrage of suggestions.

Thanks

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

GopErthike wrote: »
    Hi, I'm just looking for a bit of advice.
    I'm thinking of replacing my Marantz pm7000 amplifier, (having a few problems with it).

I bought it about 10 years ago in richersounds and have been really happy with it. But because it's been 10 yrs since I did a bit of research into it, I'm a bit out of touch as to what would be a worthy replacement.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Google is a barrage of suggestions.

Thanks

GopErthike,

PM7000 - honestly it was a cracking amp and I really love the tonal balance - I used one with a pair of Elac Jets for a good while and they sounded great together ( I still have and love the Elac jets!).

The obvious suggestion is of course another Marantz - the PM6004 is just a cracker and amazing value at £299.95 - have a look here: http://www.whathifi.com/review/marantz-pm6004

Depending on what speakers you are using (drop us the info in a post if you like) and of course budget :p I'd also recommend the Cambridge Audio 651 - tonally its probably closer to your PM7000 and it's also more of a powerhouse than the PM6004, again similar to the PM7000 - however it is more expensive at £449.95

and if you did want to step up again (you only do it once a decade after all..) the Roksan K1 looks and sounds amazing at £794.95 http://www.whathifi.com/review/kandy-k2-amp

Thanks again and keep me posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭GopErthike

Great, I'll check those out.

I'm using two sets of monitor audios, 'bronze B6' floorstanding in one room and 'bronze 2' bookshelf in another.

I found them to work great together, but I'm no expert on this.

Budget probably max €700.

Great, I'll check those out.

I'm using two sets of monitor audios, 'bronze B6' floorstanding in one room and 'bronze 2' bookshelf in another.

I found them to work great together, but I'm no expert on this.

Budget probably max €700.

The Roksan would sound amazing with the B6's but will blow the budget at €949 - the Cambridge 651a at €559 however opens up a few options - 1. its way within your budget and 2. It allow you to upgrade if you want to - either by adding a matching power amplifier at a later date or if you wanted to the 651A has a dedicated subwoofer output so you could add to your Monitor Audio collection and add the MSW10 Subwoofer which is on special at £149.95 / €184.99 and that will really 'kick ass' and keep you within budget at just €699 after a bit of sharp pencil tweaking!

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭GopErthike

The Roksan would sound amazing with the B6's but will blow the budget at €949 - the Cambridge 651a at €559 however opens up a few options - 1. its way within your budget and 2. It allow you to upgrade if you want to - either by adding a matching power amplifier at a later date or if you wanted to the 651A has a dedicated subwoofer output so you could add to your Monitor Audio collection and add the MSW10 Subwoofer which is on special at £149.95 / €184.99 and that will really 'kick ass' and keep you within budget at just €699 after a bit of sharp pencil tweaking!

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Yeah, that sounds pretty good. But maybe you could explain a bit more.

You mention about matching a power amplifier, so I assume the 651A is not integrated? What would be the downside to using it without a power amp?

I also found a small bit of info on the Marantz pm7004. Do you have any experience with this unit? Any opinion? I assume it's a new and improved version of what I have?

Thanks again for sharing your expertise.

Yeah, that sounds pretty good. But maybe you could explain a bit more.

You mention about matching a power amplifier, so I assume the 651A is not integrated? What would be the downside to using it without a power amp?

I also found a small bit of info on the Marantz pm7004. Do you have any experience with this unit? Any opinion? I assume it's a new and improved version of what I have?

Thanks again for sharing your expertise.

The 651 is a full integrated am no problem - but its designed with pre outs which allows you to match it to a power amp and really significantly step up the performance levels as and when finances allow.

The PM7004 is a fine amp but for the additional expense over the 6004 - given the relative performances of the two I just don't think it represents great value , which to be honest is no bad reflection on the 7004 - but just shows what an outstanding amp the 6004 is!

Keep me posted

J

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.