Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bichon frise house training

• 17-10-2012 12:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

Hi I recently got a beautiful bichon pup and I'm trying to house train him. I would like to know what I can put down where he has peed to kill the sent to stop him going there again he has got very good for doing a number 2 outside but seem to only want to pee inside.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Craigels

Any ideas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Dont use anything with ammonia in it, like Bleach etc. Think you can use non bio washing powder or anything that doesnt have ammonia in it.

It can take months to house train a pup so just be patient and consistant.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭aisher

I got a great product called Rug Doctor - Urine Eliminator from Woodies DIY which really got rid of the smell of urine fast without staining the carpet. You need to make sure you clean up the area before it has a chance to dry in otherwise you may miss it and the dog tends to use the same area again. Good luck with the training!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Craigels

I will try those thanks I also heard white vinegar works mixed with water and spray on

• Registered Users Posts: 31 honeybunny1984

we never bought anything specifically, just good old reliable warm soapy water, we never had any trouble house training any of our dogs (including our Bichon's) even though they are breeds known for being difficult in this respect...we always had it done and dusted and them doing their business outside reliably in a matter of weeks. i recommend those pee pads, worth their weight in gold...no more trying to gather up soggy sodden newspaper LOL house training is really not all that difficult all you have to do is be consistent and watch the pup like a hawk, as soon as he looks like he might wana 'go' scoop him up as quick as you can and place him on a pee pad, make a great big fuss of him...let him think he's the best thing since sliced bread. if/when he makes a mistake don't say a word, don't scold him just ignore him and clean it up after all its not his fault..its our fault for missing our cue ;) if you don't give the pup a chance to fail...then he cant! once he's reliably using the pee pads you can just leave one near the back door and then when he's used to that move it outside, job done ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement