Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could passengers land a passenger jet?

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

IRLConor wrote: »

Thanks

Ya they reckon its pausable they failed first time and succeed the second
    in a simulator.

I guessing type of plane, flight conditions, the amount of fuel available, and the quality and intelligence the passengers are big factors here.
    Someone who was into aviation computer games and simulator would also have a big advantage here.

Would cabin crew be any good at it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

You also need to take into account how level-headed the person attempting to land it is. In Mythbusters obviously there was no serious repercussions if they didn't successfully land, in reality though they'd likely die. That level of stress and pressure would mess with many people's minds.

There has been a few cases of small planes being landed by passengers after pilot gets incapacitated, see link and there is an audio on utube of another one
    I don't think there is any case of a passenger jumbo jet being landed.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=96248&page=1#.UH4Jo2fYF9w

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

RMD wrote: »
    You also need to take into account how level-headed the person attempting to land it is. In Mythbusters obviously there was no serious repercussions if they didn't successfully land, in reality though they'd likely die. That level of stress and pressure would mess with many people's minds.

On the other hand, the stakes are higher, so you're not going to be worrying about the lunch meeting tomorrow or whether you remembered to turn the iron off that morning. You're going to be wholly invested in that one thing. It's hard to make a perfect prediction.

I'd say they could, if the stars aligned. At the very least, I think they could probably give at least some of the passengers onboard a fighting chance that they wouldn't have otherwise had.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

I say they couldn't......it's not as easy as you think but I am biased;)

I don't think it would be easy at all, but we're assuming they have perfect flight conditions and help from the ground, right? I think they've got a percentage chance, at least.

Whether they'll get their luggage that day, however...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Bearcat wrote: »
    I say they couldn't......it's not as easy as you think but I am biased;)

hehehe..

don't want to have to give up the hat, is it bear?? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Bill G

The flight attendant (who held a CPL) tried to gain control of the striken Helios Flight 522, but he either did not have the experience or the time to land it before it ran out of fuel and crashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭LeftBase

If you had somebody to explain how to set the autoland it would be doable.

Landing it on manual I would say not a hope in hell!

However the great overlooked issue with this "talked down" idea is the fact the passenger must be able to use the radios to do it....which for somebody new to the flight deck would be a challenging task!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Isn't there auto land these days? If you had someone tell you how to turn it on Id say you would have a good chance of getting a bird down.

But sure what do I know... Im just a man on the internet

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dacian

RMD wrote: »
    You also need to take into account how level-headed the person attempting to land it is........That level of stress and pressure would mess with many people's minds.
    1 aspect of this scenario could very well be a level-headed person stepping up but then being overawed by the sheer complexity of the modern airliner cockpit. While being talked down by ATC would involve as few instruments/switches/levers as possible seeing the cockpit could well cause them to freeze. A small 4 seat Cessna cockpit seems a lot more homely and familiar in comparison. Someone above mentioned cabin crew....well they at least would not be overwhelmed by the cockpit environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Bill G wrote: »
    The flight attendant (who held a CPL) tried to gain control of the striken Helios Flight 522, but he either did not have the experience or the time to land it before it ran out of fuel and crashed.

To be fair, he was suffering from pretty severe hypoxia at the time..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

This is often debated but as it never has happened in an airliner. No one quite knows. The nearest was the Helios accident. The FA had a CPL but he couldn't access the flight deck until the engines failed. By then it was too late.

To be perfectly honest I would seriously doubt my own capability to get it down in one piece and I'm a pilot, non airline, who has 'flown' real simulators.

It probably could be done if all the factors fell right. A clear day plenty of fuel and someone who could remain calm under pressure. But imagine if it was at night and or in bad weather. With minimum fuel. Then there's the circumstances of the crew's incapacitation. Was there a struggle in the cockpit? Is there damage? Depressurisation? Autopilot knocked off. Even if the new 'pilot' figured out the radios. Would ATC have access to a pilot experienced with the aircraft in time?

Even if everything fell right. There's the flying itself. If even experienced airline pilots lose it at times, like AF447. What chance does a complete beginner?

Naturally FSX fans might claim they could do it but all of the factors above apply to them too. Plus the emotional aspect.

I suspect if it ever happened the likely result is a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,176 ✭✭✭squonk

Anyone else think of Airplane! when reading this thread :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Are there no regs governing this kind of an eventuality?
    Would ATC be allowed to bring something so possibly catastrophic near an airport or built up area? Just wondering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

squonk wrote: »
    Anyone else think of Airplane! when reading this thread :)
    Don't mention Macho Grande!
    Elaine Dickinson: There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

there was this case - http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2005/May-06-Fri-2005/news/26454926.html

but in modern day aviation if you have dead/unconscious pilots in cockpit - how do you get in to take over the plane? I assume that since 9/11 you can only open them from inside, is that true?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭sxt

If Passengers had internet access, this guide might be helpful to them

http://www.wikihow.com/Land-an-Airplane-in-an-Emergency

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Momento Mori

With good ground communication and a capable human being, yes.

It would depend on the size of the aircraft though. A 747 possibly not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

martinsvi wrote: »
    there was this case - http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2005/May-06-Fri-2005/news/26454926.html

but in modern day aviation if you have dead/unconscious pilots in cockpit - how do you get in to take over the plane? I assume that since 9/11 you can only open them from inside, is that true?
    no there's a keypad to open it with a code,FA's know it,this is time delayed, There's also an emergency code for the door that the FA would know which opens it after a few seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭McNulty737

Highly unlikely in any modern jet....from cruising altitude even someone with a cpl and no type rating would really struggle with the energy management of a descent, approach and even with an autoland. For someone who had never seen a cockpit to configure flaps, gear and reduce to an acceptable threshold speed and ensure localiser and glide slope capture?

I've seen some cadets on the 737 who are basically passengers totally dependant on the line training captain (and most definately the safety pilot if the captain had a heart attack or something)....and these are guys with CPL, MEIR, MCC, 737 type rating and base training.

So some regular Joe who never even flew a cessna?

Doubtful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Lustrum

I think Leftbase has hit the nail on the head, the biggest stumbling block would be making contact with the ground. Imagine what would be going through your head if you enter a cockpit with both pilots passed out, you can hear voices in their headsets but they can't hear you? I think 99% of people would flip out.

I spend my days at the moment showing people how to fly full motion 747 sims. With help from the ground, I think anyone could get the autoland set up and land. Without help, or without an autoland, I think the professional pilots here will tell you that the ground comes up awful quick from 50ft, and I would imagine the touchdown would be something similar to the crash programme last week - hardly anyone I bring in remembers to flare, even when you're telling them "do it now" as they just freeze. And landing a 747 is completely different to landing a C172, so even PPL holders struggle

• Registered Users Posts: 10,162 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

One of our passengers regularly lands the aircraft, he also does the takeoff's...... In the middle, he just goes back and relaxes in the cabin!

smurfjed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭cml387

Arthur Hailey wrote a TV screenplay (before he was famous ) about a Spitfire pilot who takes over the controls of a plane when the pilots become victims of food poisoning.

It was called Flight Into Danger and you can read the Wikipedia entry yourselves if you're interested.

The plot of Airplane! is of course a similar plot with a slightly different "treatment".

sxt wrote: »
    If Passengers had internet access, this guide might be helpful to them

http://www.wikihow.com/Land-an-Airplane-in-an-Emergency

:D

This idea reminds me of that exchange in Father Ted, where Ted admonishes the writer guy for using a laptop in flight. "But shur we're all going to die anyway." "Fair point."

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Are there no regs governing this kind of an eventuality?
    Would ATC be allowed to bring something so possibly catastrophic near an airport or built up area? Just wondering.

There's a point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

smurfjed wrote: »
    One of our passengers regularly lands the aircraft, he also does the takeoff's...... In the middle, he just goes back and relaxes in the cabin!

smurfjed

I trust the said individual holds a pilots Licence and is type rated?

cml387 wrote: »
    Arthur Hailey wrote a TV screenplay (before he was famous ) about a Spitfire pilot who takes over the controls of a plane when the pilots become victims of food poisoning.

It was called Flight Into Danger and you can read the Wikipedia entry yourselves if you're interested.

The plot of Airplane! is of course a similar plot with a slightly different "treatment".

There is the book Mayday as well

A supersonic passenger jet flying over the Pacific Ocean, is struck by an errant missile. Due to the effects of decompression and oxygen deprivation, all but a handful are incapacitated. Three survivors must attempt to land the airplane, despite attempts to cover up the disaster.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayday_%28novel%29

The "pilot" struggle to get to ground in that book is complicated as elements of the military and the airline wanted him to crash into ocean LOL

Pretty good book IIRC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭omega man

smurfjed wrote: »

smurfjed

The skipper ;)

Advertisement