Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Vienna Austria, advice?

Options
  • 17-10-2012 2:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I'm thinking about moving to Vienna Austria next year. I don't speak any German but if I decide to move I will make the effort to learn. Is english widely spoken there? Also I don't drive, is public transport good? If anyone has any advice about Vienna it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

Most of the locals spoke some English, and it's a very walkable city too. I've only been to visit, but really enjoyed it there. I feel it might be rather expensive to live right in the citycenter though - why not head over for a long weekend to explore? It's not that far and if you book ahead a few weeks it should be pretty cheap. Also, Xmas markets will be on there in December....really nice to visit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 entenwo

Vienna is an amazing city! I grew up there and lived there untill last year.
    Most people speak english, so I´m sure you won´t have any troubles there. Nevertheless it´s a good idea to learn German, usually people will appreciate this a lot and will be friendly and helpfull.
    Living in the city center is not affordable any more for normal people, in fact it never was ;-) There seems to be a property bubble at the moment. the best advice for renting is to stay near the center within the so called "Gürtel", there are nice areas, lots of shops and restaurants, many young people. Period flats are more expensive than modern ones, avoid them. Some areas are not so nice to live, but you can ask me for specific areas, when you make your decision. Best place to look for a flat was www.immonet.at; try searching in areas like 3.-9. district. Don´t be dissapointed, you will not find many flats including furniture!
    Public transport is perfect! I never owned a car in Vienna, it´s simply not necessary. Of course there are some areas you have to wait for a bus, tram, metro for about 10-15minutes, but most of the areas are extremely well covered by public transport.
    Clothes are generally speaking a bit more expensive than here, food and restaurants areas cheaper than here and the choice of food from different countries is amazing!
    Feel free to ask me anything you like, I always love to chat about my hometown ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 edith may

Thank you both very much for the advice!! Much appreciated! :)

Advertisement