Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Budget laptop for beginner

• 17-10-2012 2:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am a musician who has been getting more and more in to electronic music over the past few years. I really want to try and learn how to make my own music and the fact that I don't currently even own a computer is obviously not a good start. I have decided that the first step I must take is to buy something good. I would much prefer a laptop than a desktop as I move around a lot and need something portable. My budget for a laptop is around $800 Max and I live in New York so used Mac books pop up on craigslist a lot. I don't know much about what I need to run music software programs and outboard midi equipment. I dunno if it helps but the music I am most influenced by is stuff like Four tet, Bibio, Mount Kimbie, Apparat etc. So I want to learn how to make music with instruments fused with samples and beats, sort of minimal organic sounding stuff. I am wondering what is the most budget machine I should be looking to buy. I see Mac book airs that are going for $700 quite regularily. Is this a good machine for making music or should I be going for more powerful models? I appreciate any pointers or tips. Thanks!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

DeadMoney wrote: »
    Hi, I am a musician who has been getting more and more in to electronic music over the past few years. I really want to try and learn how to make my own music and the fact that I don't currently even own a computer is obviously not a good start. I have decided that the first step I must take is to buy something good. I would much prefer a laptop than a desktop as I move around a lot and need something portable. My budget for a laptop is around $800 Max and I live in New York so used Mac books pop up on craigslist a lot. I don't know much about what I need to run music software programs and outboard midi equipment. I dunno if it helps but the music I am most influenced by is stuff like Four tet, Bibio, Mount Kimbie, Apparat etc. So I want to learn how to make music with instruments fused with samples and beats, sort of minimal organic sounding stuff. I am wondering what is the most budget machine I should be looking to buy. I see Mac book airs that are going for $700 quite regularily. Is this a good machine for making music or should I be going for more powerful models? I appreciate any pointers or tips. Thanks!!!

The Mac Airs are very under powered - Worth waiting for a cheaper Macbook pro and then get Logic Pro off the app store - That would keep you busy for a long while :)

It's fully featured with everything you need to get going for around $200.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭paulo6891

If you really fancy the macbook air, you could get it and if you really get into producing, it can always be linked up to a cheaper, more powerful slave desktop in the future.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

If you're looking to get a MAC...I know a guy who does second hand and reconditioned MAC and Laptops at really good prices - he's also really straight, won't rip you off and will sort you out if there's any problem. And he'll do repairs others won't - at prices that won't kill ya. (I owe him a favour - he's a good guy)

He has an Internet Cafe on Moore Street. <Snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

krd wrote: »
    If you're looking to get a MAC...I know a guy who does second hand and reconditioned MAC and Laptops at really good prices - he's also really straight, won't rip you off and will sort you out if there's any problem. And he'll do repairs others won't - at prices that won't kill ya. (I owe him a favour - he's a good guy)

He has an Internet Cafe on Moore Street. <SNIP>
    He lives in New York, unless he's going on hols to Jurys in Parnell St theres no chance of Karim getting any business :)

krd wrote: »

He has an Internet Cafe on Moore Street. <Snip>

Hey....it's a business phone number.

And I'm not spamming for him. He's done me big favours in the past, and recently.

I have been ripped off in Dublin too. One repair shop charged me 190 quid. They claimed they needed to replace the processor, and because they were such swell guys they were replacing the motherboard for me too. As it turns out...All they probably did was remove dust from the fan.

• Advertisement

Lelantos wrote: »
    He lives in New York, unless he's going on hols to Jurys in Parnell St theres no chance of Karim getting any business :)

Sorry, I thought he said New Bridge.

I'm a visually impaired person,.....and mentally impaired, and physically impaired.

Generally impaired.

Advertisement