Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying, but failing, to open ports on a network bridge with 2 netgear routers. HELP

Options
  • 17-10-2012 4:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

I have the internet coming from the wall into a Netgear router, the Netgear DG834G, which was and still is working perfectly. I now need internet access upstairs, so have run a cable from there, as that router cannot be moved, upstairs to another router, a Netgear WGR614 v7, and I have my computer plugged into the router upstairs using ethernet (Netgear WGR614 v7).

I mainly use my computer for gaming, and host a server for my friends and I to play Minecraft, but don't have been trying all day to open the ports for this new network system that I have in place. I have internet access from both routers, and wireless, but cannot open the ports.

PLEASE, can someone help me, I am all out of ideas.

I am on Vodafone a thome broadband, and had the ports open when using the one router. I have a custom built PC with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You are making things very difficult with double NAT, you will need to stop the Netgear WGR614 routing (if it doesn't have an AP mode disable DHCP and stop using the wan port) and let the first Netgear DG834G handle all the routing to the outside world. Opening the ports on this DG834G router should then work

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭GWNiall

Sweet, now, how do I go about that? Disable to firewall should be ok, but the NAT?

GWNiall wrote: »
    Sweet, now, how do I go about that? Disable to firewall should be ok, but the NAT?

Disable DHCP and stop using the wan port. You should also disable the firewall and upnp also as you only want the original router handling everything. Basically you're turning it into an access point with 4 switched ports.

And will the wireless still work off this second router if I do this? Cause there's devices upstairs that need WiFi, sorry for being such a burden about this! XD

GWNiall wrote: »
    And will the wireless still work off this second router if I do this? Cause there's devices upstairs that need WiFi, sorry for being such a burden about this! XD

Yes, it will be an access point
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_access_point

• Advertisement

Ok, I've done all that, but it's still not working. My head is mush from all this...

I have disabled UPNP, DHCP and Firewall on the second router and have added it to the network of the first, and have them as 0.1 and 0.2 and giving out aaddresses from the first from 0.3 - 0.256. I've forwarded the port .0.20 because that's what the server will be running on. But still nothing.

Advertisement