Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Sergeant can't afford food

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Everybody is exclaiming that they could comfortably live on 65k, yet this woman is clearly trying to point out that a 65k salary is not worth 65k anymore, having been butchered by all the taxes and levies.

It's easy to say that you could live comfortably on that salary, and forget that the higher your salary, the more they will take from you. And all of this in the context of work and hours that a garda sergeant has to put in.

I work about 50 hours a week for half that. I'm pretty certain that if you threw an extra grand or so onto my wages i could support a family.

See, they're not the only ones to take a hit. We all have. Yes, 65k may not have the same punch it did 5 years ago, but none of our wages do. So we are comparing like with like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

road_high wrote: »
    Don't be silly. Nobody here is saying that. Just e paid in line with what the state can afford ie match spending to revenue. That's all I want is a balanced budget for the country.

And if the state could afford even less should they be made work for that too or is that silly too.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

road_high wrote: »
    Just e paid in line with what the state can afford ie match spending to revenue.

While that's obviously the ideal the public sector staff must be paid inline with the value of the service they provide and the wages of the public sector must be reasonably competitive. You can't undervalue staff and expect them to stick around, and if they don't stick around then we'd be deeper in shit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Seachmall wrote: »

While that's obviously the ideal the public sector staff must be paid inline with the value of the service they provide and the wages of the public sector must be reasonably competitive. You can't undervalue staff and expect them to stick around, and if they don't stick around then we'd be deeper in shit.
    Ok so every department with backlogs and waiting lists and are run inefficiently should be the first to be cut, that's practically every department.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

Boombastic wrote: »
    Ok so every department with backlogs and waiting lists and are run inefficiently should be the first to be cut, that's practically every department.

Who is to blame for inefficiency? management or workers?

Is it fair to cut everyone including the people who are efficient?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ethical

A cunning plan.......or just kick the problem down the road like the promisory note 'deal'.Cut child benefit again just like last year ,do it again and again and legalise abortion..............no need for child benefit at all then as there won't be any children!!!.....but who will pay the taxes to keep our retired politicians in their super pensions....who cares because in 40 yrs time they will have passed on......and good riddance! The last crowd were extremely poor,this lot are worse,Kenny will retire within the next 18 months write his memoirs and go on the chat show circuit,that bufoon Gilmore will be kicked out of office,Labour will disappear like the Greens and FF will not be able to do anything on their own.Realistically ,if we get rid of children,as the policies of this government are hell bent on doing ,we will save endless amounts of money,just think about it,:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

ethical wrote: »
    A cunning plan.......or just kick the problem down the road like the promisory note 'deal'.Cut child benefit again just like last year ,do it again and again and legalise abortion..............no need for child benefit at all then as there won't be any children!!!.....but who will pay the taxes to keep our retired politicians in their super pensions....who cares because in 40 yrs time they will have passed on......and good riddance! The last crowd were extremely poor,this lot are worse,Kenny will retire within the next 18 months write his memoirs and go on the chat show circuit,that bufoon Gilmore will be kicked out of office,Labour will disappear like the Greens and FF will not be able to do anything on their own.Realistically ,if we get rid of children,as the policies of this government are hell bent on doing ,we will save endless amounts of money,just think about it,:P
    You should make yourself better informed about the abortion debate me thinks....

HondaSami wrote: »

Who is to blame for inefficiency? management or workers?

Is it fair to cut everyone including the people who are efficient?
    Both. there is no I in team

Both. there is no I in team

You might need to explain this to me?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

You might need to explain this to me?
    http://tinyurl.com/c7pcmgt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

@ whoever said i don't have an understanding of simple economics: yes, you're right. I don't. I never had an interest in it. But i'm not the only one, there are plenty of people who either don't want to know, or don't care. If we all did, it would be a very boring country.

I'll explain first why i bought my house. I was stationed somewhere, and was renting for the first 3 years, different places, different people. I realised that i wanted to live on my own (actually can't stand living with people, i enjoy my privacy). So i started renting my own place. First a small studio apartment. At the time, i was 5 1/2 years into a relationship which i honestly believed was going to last. So, after talks, i decided to buy a house. A place to call my own, and which at the end of my mortgage i would own. It would be mine. And at the time it was only costing €50 a week more than where i was renting. The choice seemed obvious to me. Buy a house as where i was stationed i was happy to stay for the majority, if not all, of my service. And then herself would (and did) move in, helping with the bills and mortgage, which would, and did, save me even more money.

The mortgage i got was in between the boom and recession. I could have well afforded it then. It wasn't a decision taken lightly, with many, many months of deliberation, meetings with EBS, my solicitor, etc. I settled on where i am, as it was ideal for my situation. Not technically within the area i serve, and only a small drive from work. A quiet, mature estate, someone i could settle and live out my life. And it's still a great place.

I did not foresee my relationship ending. But it had to, and it did, for good (mature) reasons. I also did not foresee my wages being slashed as they are. Since 2009 i have received a total 14% decrease on my take home pay. Even if i did expect some cuts, not to that extent. It has put me on the breadline. I can still afford to cover everything, but i have to sacrifice 95% of my social life, i will not be having any holidays (not even domestic, definitely not foreign). I get to drive the 2 hours to my family once every 3 months now, instead of the once a month i used to be able to. I have downgraded from a 02 car to a 98 due to running costs (and i got the 98 for free, luckily). It's extremely hard for me to even attempt to find a potential partner, as i can't afford to wine and dine in the usual fashion. I have to face facts that i have to sustain myself for the foreseeable future without help. There's no one to rent out there, as the market is too competative, and the cons far outweigh the pros of getting someone in renting on the cheap (especially in my line of work, we have trust issues).

Now they're looking for another 10% minimum. I just simply can't afford that. You say that if i wanted pay increases in line with the private sector, i should have got a job in the private sector. I had, and i decided i wanted to do my bit for this country. And do you honestly think anyone would join AGS if they were told "you'll be getting €26k after 18 months, and it will never increase unless you get promoted"? Pay increases are part and parcel of serious jobs. And while the majority of everyone else was getting those increases, you expected AGS and other PS workers to just sit back and say grand?

I understand that the country is broke, but i've already done my bit. I've given (involuntarily) all i can. Everything i do has the potential for me to lose my job, even if those decisions i make were 100% legal, it just takes the intent and perseverance of 1 person for me to lose my job, and potentially end up in jail. Extreme as it may sound, it is always a possibility.

But this conversation is obviously going nowhere. Those on either side will think they're right. Well this time we're fighting back. We have a Commissioner, who is supposed to be our main representative, who honestly has no idea what the member on the ground is going through, what with his stupidly huge salary for his politically appointed position. We have a Minister who, with every passing day, seems more and more intent on getting rid of as many Gardai as possible before he can retire on his actual golden pension (unlike the golden pension people seem to think we're getting, just because it's better than the majority of schemes in the private sector). His decisions are affecting frontline members, and not touching the higher up members. I can't find it, but someone outlined that if Inspectors and up took a certain % cut, a small one considering their wages, that the effect it would have would be more beneficial than cutting the 11200 members of Garda and Sergeant rank. But yet, nothing has been mentioned to cut them, and so far they are exempt or excluded from the proposed cuts.

Also, would you work overtime, even forced overtime in which you have no choice (court), for the same basic allowence/wage? Nothing extra for having to come in on your day(s) off, just the standard hourly rate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

I hear you but can I ask why do you talk to ordinary Joe Soaps so bad And let Scumbags on there way.

Hootanany wrote: »
    I hear you but can I ask why do you talk to ordinary Joe Soaps so bad And let Scumbags on there way.

Slightly off topic, but: I personally don't, i try to treat everyone the same, including the scumbags. Thing is, the more you deal with the criminals, the more the stern approach gets instilled into you. Telling Joe that what he is doing is wrong/illegal, in a nice manner, will usually work. Not so with criminals, who have no respect for you. You sometimes need a stronger approach, and with the times moving on, it's getting more common to have to be used.

Unfortunately, this can lead to the member getting bogged down with interactions with criminals where the softly nice approach just doesn't work. This can carry over to regular Joe at times. It doesn't happen as often as people seem to think, but it's highlighted more. You never hear of all the positive encounters. That's not good news, it doesn't sell. A member acting in a manner deemed inappropriate is.

But this is probably better left for a different thread, perhaps in the Emergency Services forum. Just be careful with the wording, it's a very pro-police forum! :)

Also, would you work overtime, even forced overtime in which you have no choice (court), for the same basic allowence/wage? Nothing extra for having to come in on your day(s) off, just the standard hourly rate?

Most people on a salary do this:eek:;)

I too am on a salary, for a 40 hour week. Anything after that goes beyond the remit of my salary conditions, and as such (especially in forced overtime conditions) i expect to be reimbursed for this. Just like all of the jobs i had in the private sector.

Unless you're on about a salary like a Super or higher in AGS, where they get a flat salary which includes an extra payment to cover any (if at all) cases where they would have to work outside of their 9-5 Mon-Fri hours. Regular members don't get that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

GRA are bizarre, linking injuries to pensions.

Gardaí face injuries but what had that to do with the pension levy? :confused:

They had a poster campaign a few years ago
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_XCJ62cJhAPU/SbfHHxpLQCI/AAAAAAAAApI/W6dkhdCHvGM/s1600/1224242572490_1aaaa.jpg

Looked very cynical.
    Liam Doran and the nurses didn't try that and they don't sign up for tackling thugs

I don't. I get well paid for overtime as does my wife. I think you are incorrect in that assumption.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

I think most people on salary get time and a quarter, time and a half or double time depending on their contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

All the talk about senior staff leaving.

Surely this opens up opportunities for promotion, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Slightly off topic, but: I personally don't, i try to treat everyone the same, including the scumbags. Thing is, the more you deal with the criminals, the more the stern approach gets instilled into you. Telling Joe that what he is doing is wrong/illegal, in a nice manner, will usually work. Not so with criminals, who have no respect for you. You sometimes need a stronger approach, and with the times moving on, it's getting more common to have to be used.

Unfortunately, this can lead to the member getting bogged down with interactions with criminals where the softly nice approach just doesn't work. This can carry over to regular Joe at times. It doesn't happen as often as people seem to think, but it's highlighted more. You never hear of all the positive encounters. That's not good news, it doesn't sell. A member acting in a manner deemed inappropriate is.

But this is probably better left for a different thread, perhaps in the Emergency Services forum. Just be careful with the wording, it's a very pro-police forum! :)

It's not really The Gaurds attitude has a lot to be desired.talk nice and get results talk bad we don't give a flying fxxxxx scumbags excluded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

I don't. I get well paid for overtime as does my wife. I think you are incorrect in that assumption.
    Seachmall wrote: »
    I think most people on salary get time and a quarter, time and a half or double time depending on their contract.

Not even nearly. I'm contracted to work 39 hours a week, an average week runs to 45-50 hours and some weeks are 60+. Like everyone else in my company (800+ employees) there is no overtime or extra pay. There's the potential for a bonus or promotion, but all in all it's just part of the job.

That's been the same in the various companies I've worked for.

Iago wrote: »
    Not even nearly. I'm contracted to work 39 hours a week, an average week runs to 45-50 hours and some weeks are 60+. Like everyone else in my company (800+ employees) there is no overtime or extra pay. There's the potential for a bonus or promotion, but all in all it's just part of the job.

I was always paid overtime for extra hours worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

Any truth in the rumour that lots of Gardai gave in resignation notices the night before THAT budget a few years ago, knowing that if things didn't go their way they could pull the notices the day after?

Iago wrote: »

Potential for bonus or promotion? Well, we don't have that. Promotion is a course, exam and followed by appointment only when there's a position there. Bonus, well that's something we will never have. So you may not get paid for overtime, but there is an incentive there to work those hours. And being honest, if i wasn't getting paid for extra hours worked, i wouldn't work them. If that meant the company fired me, so be it. It's against the Working Time Directive to work and not get paid. That's your fault.
    Any truth in the rumour that lots of Gardai gave in resignation notices the night before THAT budget a few years ago, knowing that if things didn't go their way they could pull the notices the day after?

Never even heard of it. And guaranteed if something like that was tried today, the resignations would be accepted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

@Potential-Monke: I understand that you're having difficulties. But you're a single guy in a junior position who owns a house. You are really just over extended. 90% of people your age, with your level of experience have no way to afford that. You are simply over extended and financially you are still better off than most.
    If you want the pay cuts to go, what you are effectively asking is for Joe public to fund a life that they can't afford for themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Potential for bonus or promotion? Well, we don't have that. Promotion is a course, exam and followed by appointment only when there's a position there. Bonus, well that's something we will never have. So you may not get paid for overtime, but there is an incentive there to work those hours. And being honest, if i wasn't getting paid for extra hours worked, i wouldn't work them. If that meant the company fired me, so be it. It's against the Working Time Directive to work and not get paid. That's your fault.
    You don't understand the private sector at all. If 20 people are doing 60+ hour weeks for no extra pay and there is only one promotion they can't all get it. So it isn't exactly an incentive to work long hours. If you don't work the extra hours you don't get the bonous nor promotion. You will be lucky to keep your job. So it is overtime for nothing and if the company doesn't do well you won't get a bonus anyway.
    It isn't against the working time derective either. It is your fault you chose to be Garda and buy a house at the top of your income that was obviously unsustainable. Salary jobs outside of factory work and strong union businesses rarely pay overtime.

People blamed the banks and government for everything but that is very simplistic view. The fact is the increased public sector demands for pay pumped money into the economy raising inflation. The government had to keep taking in huge amounts of money to pay the raised bills. The extra income pushed up house prices and made the banks loan more. People talk of greedy bankers but it was actually general greed and more to do with supply and demand.

The public sector pay rises should never of happened and the warning were made at the time. It has now happened, ignorance of the concerns was more a deliberate decision than not having the information. Irish governments no matter the party don't stand up to public pressure for the greater good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭boboldpilot

Now they're looking for another 10% minimum. I just simply can't afford that. You say that if i wanted pay increases in line with the private sector, i should have got a job in the private sector. I had, and i decided i wanted to do my bit for this country. And do you honestly think anyone would join AGS if they were told "you'll be getting €26k after 18 months, and it will never increase unless you get promoted"? Pay increases are part and parcel of serious jobs. And while the majority of everyone else was getting those increases, you expected AGS and other PS workers to just sit back and say grand?
    While I sympathise with your situation to some extent. I've highlighted one line to say it's not true. In my time in a serious job with a multinational, my pay actually declined over a period of years and any increments were derisory. That was during the boom years. Pay and bonuses depended on the state of the company at the time.

Meanwhile every year the PS were benchmarked. All I could wonder was where they got this benchmark because it bore no relation to reality in the private sector.

So now the company you work for, the government, the taxpayers no longer have the revenue to pay those inflated wages. So it has to be borrowed. It's unsustainable.

That's the reality out there. The same reality faced by many thousands who had their pay cut or jobs lost away from the coccoon of Croke Park agreement.

I'm sorry for your troubles but welcome to the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ronjo

I dont get paid for overtime generally and if I do, its basic wage

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭greenoverred

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    You don't understand the private sector at all. If 20 people are doing 60+ hour weeks for no extra pay and there is only one promotion they can't all get it. So it isn't exactly an incentive to work long hours. If you don't work the extra hours you don't get the bonous nor promotion. You will be lucky to keep your job. So it is overtime for nothing and if the company doesn't do well you won't get a bonus anyway.
    It isn't against the working time derective either. It is your fault you chose to be Garda and buy a house at the top of your income that was obviously unsustainable. Salary jobs outside of factory work and strong union businesses rarely pay overtime.

People blamed the banks and government for everything but that is very simplistic view. The fact is the increased public sector demands for pay pumped money into the economy raising inflation. The government had to keep taking in huge amounts of money to pay the raised bills. The extra income pushed up house prices and made the banks loan more. People talk of greedy bankers but it was actually general greed and more to do with supply and demand.

The public sector pay rises should never of happened and the warning were made at the time. It has now happened, ignorance of the concerns was more a deliberate decision than not having the information. Irish governments no matter the party don't stand up to public pressure for the greater good.

Its seem from your post its you that doesn't understand the private sector. Just because you have a 60+ hour working week as you claim. It does not mean this is norm across the 'private sector'. If your employer is abusing you this is something you and your fellow employees should sort out. It doesn't mean everyone else should do the same hours as you. You claim it is the posters fault he choose to become a Garda. Well the same goes for you. You are the one who is choosing to work 60+ hours a week and this is against the working time directive. If you claim its not you dont know what this is.

Some guy (head of GRA??) there on RTE 1 news defending the allowances they receive for being assigned 9-5 shifts, because they miss on other allowances...I thought that sh1t was done away with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

Only one of my jobs ever paid overtime and it was a union heavy place. All others the most you will get is time of in lieu! And most of these jobs were not above average industrial wage.

All I can say is that the place that paid overtime and sunday bonus time and night premium is long gone out of business.

Unfortunately the reality out there is harsh. Business has the price it is selling the service / goods for that the consumer or their customer is willing to pay. They must fit their expenses in that.

I sympathise with the people who are struggling to meet their day to day expenses and hold the roof over their heads it is not a nice place to be.

Unlucky for PS staff the country is so screwed that it's simple mathematics. Instead of screaming out loud for no further cuts they should focus their attention on the senior PS staff who are well overpaid.

10% pay cut on a €30k a year salary will hit that person a lot harder than someone on €120k. We are a country of buddy system and top heavy but the front line staff is the ones taking the burden.

This government promised to abolish Seanad Éireann, but little towards this has happened. We have 60 Senators with salary of €70k each (€4,2m annually) + expenses and house running cost and admin staff they have there. How much a year is this really costing us and for what??

Furthermore, how many other government bodies we have that do very little for the money that they get.

Unfortunately this government will continue forcing the little people to pay for their good lives and their buddy European politicians.

The more things change the more all stays the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

And do you honestly think anyone would join AGS if they were told "you'll be getting €26k after 18 months, and it will never increase unless you get promoted"? Pay increases are part and parcel of serious jobs. And while the majority of everyone else was getting those increases, you expected AGS and other PS workers to just sit back and say grand?
    Random set pay increases (otherwise called benchmarking) seem to be only are part and parcel of public sector jobs. In every private sector job I've worked in, you usually get more money when you get a promotion. Sometimes you may just get more work, and extra (non monetary) perks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Its seem from your post its you that doesn't understand the private sector. Just because you have a 60+ hour working week as you claim. It does not mean this is norm across the 'private sector'. If your employer is abusing you this is something you and your fellow employees should sort out. It doesn't mean everyone else should do the same hours as you. You claim it is the posters fault he choose to become a Garda. Well the same goes for you. You are the one who is choosing to work 60+ hours a week and this is against the working time directive. If you claim its not you dont know what this is.
    Want to look back and see where I said I did this now?
    It is also not against the work time directive and I never said it was every week either. It is an average of 48 hours not disallowing working longer in a given week. Recent graduate often do this kind of time and most people who work on project based work experience the need for these kind of hours for periods of time. In IT work it is probably is the norm.
    Never said it was the norm but it is very common. Most contracts mention a need to work extra hours on occasion and no overtime involved. Overtime is a luxury absent in the majority of salary private jobs. You would want to be very nieve to believe people don't work unpaid overtime. Plus working an extra 10 hours a week for no overtime is possible if you manage to get the company to stick with the work time directive. That is 480 hours overtime without any exta pay perfectly legally.
    I contract so have worked in many companies and have seen the private,public and semi private companies working conditions. Public sector employees are often clueless to what it is like outside of their own jobs.

I see where everyone is coming from, and i have worked the private sector. And every job i worked in there were raises and overtime. I never did contract work because of the lack of overtime payment. It just never made sense to work more than the average hours for no extra money. Even the "simple" (for want of a better word) jobs that i did had overtime. In AGS we still work the basic 48 hour week on average as per the WTD. Anything over that we get overtime for, for the simple fact that certain overtime is unavoidable in the job. That's why we get the overtime. If there is court on a rest day, we have to attend. In the better times, overtime was more abundant, but it was voluntary, usually on the busy nights for people going out. I rarely done it, that was a choice. If i have to attend a big case in the Central Criminal courts in Dublin, regardless of what my plans are, i have to attend. It's a bit easier to have cases adjourned in local District or Circuit courts, but for the major ones excuses are rarely accepted. This is where the major issue is.

It doesn't bother me in the slightest that they're cutting the amount of overtime available, as i said i never really done it anyway, the basic hours were enough. It bothers me that they want to pay me the flat rate for attending court on my days off. We've given then plenty of other options in this specific case, ie: adjourning or setting cases for the days we're working, but they obviously don't want to make that very easy and extremely cost saving choice.

As for my wages, i already explained, i've already given 14%. Granted, the wages are higher than in the private sector, but that's the job and conditions i signed up for. There was no way i would have joined for less. It's an incentive to keep the members motivated. With more cuts, you're going to get less motivation (already happening). You need motivation in this type of job, as it's very unrewarding.

And i agree, the emphasis should be on the higher paid PS workers, their wages are scandalous. And they have already taken cuts too, but the cuts they received don't nearly match the effect it's had on the cuts on the lowest rung of AGS. And i agree with Boombastic, those type of allowences should not exist. If a member wanted a cushy 9-5 paper job (which also carries it's own responsibilities), then they shouldn't be reimbursed for that decision. However, i'm not sure exactly what positions they are, as any of the "handier" positions have loss of allowances which have stopped me applying for them. And i will also agree that there are probably loads of allowances that could be cut, but the ones they're concentrating on are the ones which affect the frontline workers.

And we will always be fighting a losing battle. How many other members of AGS are on here trying to defend themselves, against how many people who want to see these cuts? Christ, i guarantee i'm one of the few who even know how to manage an internet forum. And all this may come back and bite me, and i could end up getting reprimanded for all these posts. I'll be sure to let ye know if that is the case. But aside from other members not knowing what a forum is, or even having basic typing skills (it's getting better), they are too scared to talk up for themselves for fear of reprimand. We have no voice, and that is our major problem, no one able to tell exactly what it's like and rubbishing claims that it's an easy job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

rubbishing claims that it's an easy job.
    People think that the AGS is an easy job? o.0

Sure, some do have it easy (the ones that aren't seen as doing their job), but as a whole, the AGS is a tough job, not least for having to know all the laws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

Jesus Christ almighty virgin Mary......

I get approximately €40,000 a year, I have a nice car, nice motorbike, Holiday or 2, Flying lessons and a few nice bits along the way.

I don't smoke and i drink 1/2 times a month 3/4 pints..............

Now they make €65,000 a year soooooo I have come to the decision to contact SVDP and ask for vouchers because im living way below the poverty line for god sake. :rolleyes:

My Brother makes 20,000 a year and has 1 holiday and 2 cars and a few nice bits blaa blaa.

Can you see where this is going :confused:

I have what I have by managing my money down to every cent, its hard to do sometimes but I enjoy my rewards and I make best.

No food on 65k a year......good jebus!!!

I get approximately €40,000 a year, I have a nice car, nice motorbike, Holiday or 2, Flying lessons and a few nice bits along the way.

Now they make €65,000 a year soooooo I have come to the decision to contact SVDP and ask for vouchers because im living way below the poverty line for god sake. :rolleyes:

My Brother makes 20,000 a year and has 1 holiday and 2 cars and a few nice bits blaa blaa.

I have what I have by managing my money down to every cent, its hard to do sometimes but I enjoy my rewards and I make best.

Two cars and a holiday on 20 k ??

I don not believe any of your post to be honest.

Is your wage gross/net?
    Have you a mortgage/rent?
    Are you single/married
    Have you any dependents?

Same with your brother what are his circumstances ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

Having two cars is possible on any wage. The poster never mentioned what cars so for all we know they are bangernomic cars(i.e. bought for less than 2000) which if you play your cards right, can be run on a shoestring budget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

A 2000 1.6 Subaru and A 1995 Civic.... Engaged living with partner and 2 kids.

Full driver's licence with 6 years ncb...Civic is used on the odd occasion as Subaru is tight for baby seats lol

Is your wage gross/net?
    Have you a mortgage/rent?
    Are you single/married
    Have you any dependents?

Gross
    Rent is €600
    Single / Living with partner
    3 kids....13 months, 7 and 11

Its as simple as writing down all bill, shopping etc. and sticking to that list every single week no matter what. You will be surprised at how much money is wasted when you don't account for it.

My brother is the same..saves a few quid to buy a second car..books hols in travel agents and pays it off.

My bills as follows

Petrol €50
    Bills €60
    Shopping€90
    Rent € 150
    Credit Union €30

Total €380 per week € 1520m per month

Car insurance is paid from saving each year...currently €600

Wages €600 net per week give or take overtime, bounus etc € 2400

My flying is €220 per hour..with savings and overtime I fly in block hours.

Holidays are book on-line and flight paid separate.

Don't smoke drink once or twice a month as said.

My car is 2002 S80 2.0, my fuel is subsidised by my employer and my bike 1998 Kawasaki zx7r used at weekends or for work if I don't need to carry any bits and bobs. Work is 20 miles away.

Leaves €880 per month or €220 per week if I dont buy any goodies.

That's just me herself is claiming social welfare €160 I think until she returns to work after that baby.

Did I miss anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭jonsnow

Great letter in todays times which sums up how I feel:

http://www.irishtimes.com/letters/

Sir, – It is galling to listen to the constant moaning and groaning from members of An Garda Síochána and their representatives about changes in pay and conditions.The gardaí are in very safe, select permanent pensionable employment, with great benefits and conditions.

They can retire at age 55, with full pension at 30 years service. They have allowances to beat the band. They never have to worry about redundancies, short time working, sick leave, or pay.

Surely it’s the duty of An Garda Síochána to serve the state and citizens, without the constant moaning about minor irritations.

Every section of this country has been affected by the austerity inflicted on us. The Army, judiciary, nurses, carers, lone parents, widowed, pensioners and so many more. All have been severely hurt, and many have no other income except State assistance. Yet we have the Garda continually seeking special exemption for themselves as a special case.

The gardaí ought to realise that in these very challenging times they are in a very comfortable position. It doesn’t do their image any good to be constantly playing the poor-mouth victim. – Yours, etc,

THOMAS J CLARKE,
    Foxhill Park,
    Dublin 13.

They receive €15,000 if they opt to take a career break
    They have a pension worth 1.1 million, golden handshake
    Early retirement option
    Allowances for being appointed a 9-5 role, cos they'd miss out on other allowances

Boo Hoo, my heart bleeds for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭jonsnow

Christ, i guarantee i'm one of the few who even know how to manage an internet forum. But aside from other members not knowing what a forum is, or even having basic typing skills (it's getting better)

Seriously your saying that most gardai can't negotiate an internet forum or don't have basic typing skills despite writing up reports being a major component of the job???.How is putting that statement out there supposed to garner sympathy when it is in fact a disgraceful state of affairs for a police force in the 21st century which recruited 60% its members in the last 10 years.Not much chance of getting to the bottom of Anglo or any other complicated white collar crime scenario so I suppose.

They receive €15,000 if they opt to take a career break
    Link please, because i've certainly never heard of this.
    They have a pension worth 1.1 million, golden handshake
    I explained that it's not worth that way back in this thread. Go look for it.
    Early retirement option
    If you meet the criteria, which is hitting the retirement age before the 30 year service, and you buy your way out.
    Allowances for being appointed a 9-5 role, cos they'd miss out on other allowances
    I agree with cutting this.
    Boo Hoo, my heart bleeds for them
    Jealous much? Because that's what it's coming across as.
    jonsnow wrote: »
    Seriously your saying that most gardai can't negotiate an internet forum or don't have basic typing skills despite writing up reports being a major component of the job???.How is putting that statement out there supposed to garner sympathy when it is in fact a disgraceful state of affairs for a police force in the 21st century which recruited 60% its members in the last 10 years.Not much chance of getting to the bottom of Anglo or any other complicated white collar crime scenario so I suppose.

Well i'd imagine the figure might be less now (for the people who can't navigate a forum), but yes, the majority of older members would have trouble if it came to anything more than navigating Pulse or Word.

Granted, with the now figure of 60% of the force having been recruited in the last 10 years (that figure skewed by the massive increase in retirements in the last few years), they would be more used to it, and getting better every day. But keeping in mind that AGS was (and still is to an extent) a very techno phobic organisation. Pulse was only introduced in 1999. Most members would have got a very basic course on it. E-mail still isn't been used as effectively as it should. A lot of members still write their files or statements because they're quicker at it than the 2 finger typing.

Just because they can't type doesn't mean they can't investigate. You don't need to type to be the best at investigation, and it's ridiculous to think otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

...But aside from other members not knowing what a forum is, or even having basic typing skills (it's getting better)....

Well i'd imagine the figure might be less now (for the people who can't navigate a forum), but yes, the majority of older members would have trouble if it came to anything more than navigating Pulse or Word.

Granted, with the now figure of 60% of the force having been recruited in the last 10 years (that figure skewed by the massive increase in retirements in the last few years), they would be more used to it, and getting better every day. But keeping in mind that AGS was (and still is to an extent) a very techno phobic organisation. Pulse was only introduced in 1999. Most members would have got a very basic course on it. E-mail still isn't been used as effectively as it should. A lot of members still write their files or statements because they're quicker at it than the 2 finger typing.

Just because they can't type doesn't mean they can't investigate. You don't need to type to be the best at investigation, and it's ridiculous to think otherwise.

I am curious about some issues you raise:

Can you tell me what full-timer members are doing about rectifying their lack of IT skills? Are they taking typing courses, like other members of the public do, so they are not wasting valuable time trying to 2-finger type when time is so precious on-the-job?
    In these techie-times I think it shameful that members can barely type or not know their way around online forums; and online sources where even the youth of today spend their time. How can they understand what the youth of today are going through, if they are not able to follow and understand what is happening online?
    What are full-time members doing to change these matters in their own time? People, outside of the guards, do undertake courses in their spare time to help them, do you are those people who you refer to here, are they doing the same or are just going to continue being in the dark about typing and their lack of online knowledge?

Thanks,

• Advertisement

kerry4sam wrote: »
    I am curious about some issues you raise:

Can you tell me what full-timer members are doing about rectifying their lack of IT skills? Are they taking typing courses, like other members of the public do, so they are not wasting valuable time trying to 2-finger type when time is so precious on-the-job?

Thanks,

Are you serious here? you think typing should be a requirement for members of AGS?

Are you serious here? you think typing should be a requirement for members of AGS?

That was not directed at you HondaSami. However, Yes I do think anyone in uniform should have typing skills in this hi-tech age yes. If they are having difficulties with technology, I think they should do something about it like others do.

Unless they are waiting for courses to drop on their lap before doing anything about it.

kerry4sam wrote: »
    That was not directed at you HondaSami. However, Yes I do think anyone in uniform should have typing skills in this hi-tech age yes. If they are having difficulties with technology, I think they should do something about it like others do.

Unless they are waiting for courses to drop on their lap before doing anything about it.

I know it was not directed at me K4sam. :)

Typing skills yes but not touch typing, could you imagine some of them trying to learn this, lots of people are slow at typing.
    I don't think it's necessary for them to learn typing as it adds nothing to the job, majority of the younger ones are on facebook and are computer savvy.

I know it was not directed at me K4sam. :)

Typing skills yes but not touch typing, could you imagine some of them trying to learn this, lots of people are slow at typing.
    I don't think it's necessary for them to learn typing as it adds nothing to the job, majority of the younger ones are on facebook and are computer savvy.

Okay, That is your opinion and you're entitled to that.

Back @ Potential-Monke : Care to answer my questions or feel you've said too much?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Typing is a life skill that everyone should have, not just members of AGS.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement