Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flooding

Options
  • 17-10-2012 8:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭

Anybody see how high the river was this morning? (right now) :eek:.
    Train services to Waterford station are canceled because both the platforms are nearly covered in water. Road around granny is flooded too.
    I wonder how bad the city would be if it wasn't for the new flood gates along the quay?

I'm sure people have seen it worse(I know its not bad or anything now), but I haven't seen the river that high in a long time.
    Anybody know if the tides are going to get any better or will they be rising later today?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

There was flooding on the road in Grannagh last night BEFORE the rain started!
    When they put in the new bridges/roads, they messed up the drainage.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

545293_475004079206991_1037864229_n.jpg

Saw this on facebook anyone catching the ferry to Dublin today.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

Kxiii wrote: »
    545293_475004079206991_1037864229_n.jpg

Saw this on facebook anyone catching the ferry to Dublin today.

Fcuk me :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Elbows22

Anybody see how high the river was this morning? (right now) :eek:.
    Train services to Waterford station are canceled because both the platforms are nearly covered in water. Road around granny is flooded too.
    I wonder how bad the city would be if it wasn't for the new flood gates along the quay?

I'm sure people have seen it worse(I know its not bad or anything now), but I haven't seen the river that high in a long time.
    Anybody know if the tides are going to get any better or will they be rising later today?

High tide is approx 7pm. Last night was the highest tide of the year so far. Expect it to get worse.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

This is what happens when you put a train station at the base of mount misery and all the water can run off the likes of the golf course down onto the tracks :)
    That and tides...great ain't it :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Yeah both platforms are like that. I wonder how far it extends up? The water along the docks was level with the ground. The tides after going down a good bit now so its grand for the moment.

Heard out towards New Ross is impassible too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Cabaal wrote: »
    This is what happens when you put a train station at the base of mount misery and all the water can run off the likes of the golf course down onto the tracks :)
    That and tides...great ain't it :)

Think the fella who planned that is not too worried what is said on here about him at this stage?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Think the fella who planned that is not too worried what is said on here about him at this stage?

if it is a common occurrence in the years ahead (which it will be due to wetter climate and mess of drainage system left by construction of roads and bypass) they will have no choice but to move the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

So if the high tide is 7pm will the quay be worse tonight???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Tim the Enchanter

According to the Waterford tide app on my phone the difference between low water and high water tonight is 4.1 meters. High tide is just after 7:30pm in Dunmore East so it will be slightly later in the city. Combine the spring tide with a south easterly gale, low pressure and extra water due to heavy rain then it could be very interesting in the city tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Elbows22

Their at it again lads :)
    photo.png78910.JPG

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

Is there anything more depressing than a miserable, wet weekday in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Partizan wrote: »
    Is there anything more depressing than a miserable, wet weekday in Waterford.
    A miserable, wet weekend in Waterford!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

581449_10151022467225834_1684364659_n.jpg
    6225_434470669933397_242467220_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

Tis only a bit of rain. Had great laugh in it today

Left the city after 8:30pm today. Train station still the same as it was this morning (possibly worse). The river has no also submerged a large part of the docks, and the rail yard is underwater a fair bit too.
    Some of the carparks as you go towards the bridge have a few inches but I wouldnt worry too much. I also saw all the flood gates being closed along the riverside, and Im willing to bet all that new flood defence is the reason the quay isnt destroyed :D.
    Instead it lobbed all the water over the other side. It has to go somewhere I guess

Also should note that the road at Redbridge petrol station is fairly badly flooded. No cars are taking the chance, only 4x4's and large vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭kaef

Left the city after 8:30pm today (...) I also saw all the flood gates being closed along the riverside,

High tide was @ 8:40pm today.

Elbows22 wrote: »
    Their at it again lads :)
    photo.png78910.JPG

Jesus their mad

kaef wrote: »
    High tide was @ 8:40pm today.

Yeah, I know, so Its only going to get better until the morning I guess :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Hope there's not much damage to houses !!

• Advertisement

Lots of pics on facebook

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

About 45 mins ago

CC4E91B3-35D4-4139-BAE5-D05E975E0AAA-2609-0000009AB965E8F0.jpg

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Sorry Michellie, didn't realise you posted this same pic.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Sorry Michelle, didn't realise you posted this same pic.

Haha no bother,you posted it better !

(love the new attach photo thing btw,so handy for mobiles)

michellie wrote: »

Haha no bother,you posted it better !

(love the new attach photo thing btw,so handy for mobiles)
    Ye but how do you get the picture to come up in post and not just attached like???

jo06555 wrote: »
    Ye but how do you get the picture to come up in post and not just attached like???

I don't know,I haven't mastered that yet haha

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

jo06555 wrote: »

I haven't tested it but I assume you cant. Its only added a few days (the feature) and does not work on all mobiles. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

Aquos76 wrote: »
    About 45 mins ago

CC4E91B3-35D4-4139-BAE5-D05E975E0AAA-2609-0000009AB965E8F0.jpg

Good christ lads I had my car just parked outside the vets last night. I left it there after work at 19:30. It was grand when I left it there. The car kept stalling and struggling to accelerate this morning. I didn't f**king realise, I swear to God. You're after giving me a bit of a shock with the pic. Christ, what damage am I after doing to the car...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

The Three Shippes - how appropriate :pac:

Hopefully not too much damage done, we certainly know enough about flooding in our house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

These guys don't need trains :P

Ixvtd.jpg

Advertisement