Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flooding

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 trueman100

i just want to say about world flooding problem. do u know how many cargo ship bulding everyday.one time i saw a cargo ship storage.omg it was like 5 time gardai station in waterford.and the captain told me that it was small cargo ship.he said that there is one like a football stadium. can you imagine if 5 ship a day joining the world water everyday , of course world will flood.just think about it

• Registered Users Posts: 28,340 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'm a small bit concerned you might be serious :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

trueman100 wrote: »
    i just want to say about world flooding problem. do u know how many cargo ship bulding everyday.one time i saw a cargo ship storage.omg it was like 5 time gardai station in waterford.and the captain told me that it was small cargo ship.he said that there is one like a football stadium. can you imagine if 5 ship a day joining the world water everyday , of course world will flood.just think about it

After a 13 hour shift, this post has just made my day. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Funniest thing I've read in years....

Why don't we just dig a hole in the middle of an island somewhere and let some of the ocean into it, we could cure the flooding once and for all....

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

It's true tho

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Brilliant! If there was a 100,000 tonne container vessel for every person in China the sea level might go up a millimetre*

*roughly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

You have to be one of those people that was hiding all prepped up in their fortified homemade bunker waiting for the aliens to invade on the 21st of this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

He's right.. the water them ships displace has to go somewhere. so if they all came out the level would probably drop by 1mm or less.

The surface area of the earth is 4pr2 (4 times Pi times the radius squared)

Take Pi at 3.142
    Taking the average radius of the earth as being 6,368 km
    This gives a surface area for the earth as 509650292.8 square kms
    Since the oceans occupy approximately 70% of the earths surface and for the sake of it if we take 1mm over the entire ocean surface we get 356.75 cubic kms.

One of the biggest tankers would have a displacement of 0.00003 cubic kms.

That means you would need 11 million, 891 thousand six hundred and sixty six of those tankers to displace 1mm of water in the oceans.

(It's a slow night, but it had to be done)

Are my figures right?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Take Pi at 3.142
    Since the oceans occupy approximately 70% of the earths surface and for the sake of it if we take 1mm over the entire ocean surface we get 356.75 cubic kms.

That means you would need 11 million, 891 thousand six hundred and sixty six of those tankers to displace 1mm of water in the oceans.

Are my figures right?
    Christmas tv is sh!t this year alright :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,340 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Take Pi at 3.142

Are my figures right?

I've no idea whether your figures are right, but I am seriously impressed, I was always hopeless at sums.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Take Pi at 3.142

Are my figures right?

Your figures might be a bit more right then mine since I just plucked it out of the air.

Stokolan wrote: »
    Your figures might be a bit more right then mine since I just plucked it out of the air.
    :D
    The "...or less" in your statement qualifies it as being accurate......;) nice move...

I've got a bird bath at the bottom of the garden :(

mike65 wrote: »
    I've got a bird bath at the bottom of the garden :(
    Any tankers in it?............:D

Nearly deep enough! If the lawn was a football pitch the game would be called off.

I left the dog out for a run this morning, the tar-monster from scooby doo came back in, she ploughed the garden and got a bath for her troubles.....

Advertisement