Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Brew supplies in Dublin (or elsewhere)

Options
  • 17-10-2012 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭

Reading around I know people from Dublin have been frustrated that there is no walk-in shop to get supplies. Well I just got off the phone with The Health Store in Pavillions Swords and the girl told me that they are stocking stuff. She was a bit short on detail on the spot but said they have fermenters, yeasts and compounds and that if there is anything they dont have they can order it in no problem! She says they do mostly Youngs. I'm delighted to hear this and will be in at the weekend. Will report back :) I guess other stores around the country have stock too??

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

redser7 wrote: »
    Reading around I know people from Dublin have been frustrated that there is no walk-in shop to get supplies.
    The Next Door off licences in Harold's Cross and Sundrive Road have kits (mostly Coopers), equipment and some ingredients.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Delighted to hear there's a place you can get yeast handy. Thanks for the tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Thanks BeerNut, good to know. Beer brewing is a distant land for me but I hope to get there some day. It's wine all the way at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

BeerNut wrote: »
    The Next Door off licences in Harold's Cross and Sundrive Road have kits (mostly Coopers), equipment and some ingredients.

Pretty small selection of stuff, when I was there about 3 months ago, hopefully that's ... Still, can't complain though...suppose its cheaper to post from a warehouse than set up a shop in dublin, I reckon off licences should really take a punt... Maybe their afraid of supplying their own competition! Unless they sell loads of grolsch etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Armelodie wrote: »
    Pretty small selection of stuff, when I was there about 3 months ago, hopefully that's ... Still, can't complain though...suppose its cheaper to post from a warehouse than set up a shop in dublin, I reckon off licences should really take a punt... Maybe their afraid of supplying their own competition! Unless they sell loads of grolsch etc..

They have been adding - was in there last week and they appear to have had a wort chiller, a boiler or 2 and I think I saw a grain mill too.

• Advertisement

Do they have anything for wine making? Yeast/Finings/Sorbate etc.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Piercemeear

My Beer and Wine have (last time I checked, a few months ago) a little basement shop in Rathmines, just opposite St. Mary's College on the way into the village. It had a good selection of yeasts and equipment last time I checked. Most of what's on the website. Does no one know about it, or has it closed the shop?

My Beer and Wine have (last time I checked, a few months ago) a little basement shop in Rathmines, just opposite St. Mary's College on the way into the village. It had a good selection of yeasts and equipment last time I checked. Most of what's on the website. Does no one know about it, or has it closed the shop?
    The shop has been gone for some months now.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Piercemeear

BeerNut wrote: »
    The shop has been gone for some months now.

Ah, sorry about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

They are very much still trading though. They just don't have the bricks and mortar shop any more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Blackjack wrote: »
    They have been adding - was in there last week and they appear to have had a wort chiller, a boiler or 2 and I think I saw a grain mill too.

Cheers I'll check em out...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭Blackjack

redser7 wrote: »
    Do they have anything for wine making? Yeast/Finings/Sorbate etc.
    Thanks

I think they have some wine making equipment but I have to say I didn't pay a lot of notice to the wine stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭ericl

Just back from Tesco clearwater, finglas.

Top shelf is wine yeast, paddles, wire brushes syphoning tubes with taps,
    caps, cappers and sanitizers.

Second shelf has co2 bulbs, hydrometers, testing tubes, gromets and bubblers
    for demi johns.

2012_10_20_133338_1.jpg

2012_10_20_133421_1.jpg

2012_10_20_133510_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

Any prices ? do they sell yeast on its own....

Fantastic thanks a lot. Was in The Health Store in Pavillions Swords today. Much smaller range but they can order in whatever you want, Youngs stuff. Prices higher than online but great to have somewhere when you run short and no delivery charge obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

I went to Tesco for nosey today.

8 euro for Coopers brew enhancer 1/2.
    6 for Muntons brew enhancer.
    30 for Woodfords kits.
    16 for Coopers Lager/Stout/Ale and 18 for the International Series kits.
    Same for the other kits (muntons/geordies etc.), they were a couple of euro more than what you might pay elsewhere.
    92 for Coopers starter kit.
    11 for PET bottles.

I didn't see any liquid or dried malt extract.

They had wine yeast as far as I can remember and wine finings.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Ratsathome

ian_m wrote: »
    I went to Tesco for nosey today.

8 euro for Coopers brew enhancer 1/2.
    6 for Muntons brew enhancer.
    30 for Woodfords kits.
    16 for Coopers Lager/Stout/Ale and 18 for the International Series kits.
    Same for the other kits (muntons/geordies etc.), they were a couple of euro more than what you might pay elsewhere.
    92 for Coopers starter kit.
    11 for PET bottles.

I didn't see any liquid or dried malt extract.

They had wine yeast as far as I can remember and wine finings.
    Which Tesco did you get these from?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

the Tesco in Naas also stocking the home brew

Popped up to Clearwater at lunch time. Was looking more at the wine gear. Was mostly Youngs stuff. Yeast, nutrient, pectolaise, finings, sorbate, hydrometers and trial jars, 25 and 20 litre fermenters. Buddy kits and some other 7 and 30 days kits (6 and 30 bottle), bungs and airlocks, demijohns. Small cans of concentrate/enhancer. Syphons with racking sticks and sediment traps. Most things a tad more expensive than online. Manager showed me where the stuff was. We got chatting and I made a new convert :)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 bus.driver

Guys,I need to get a home brew start.kit,Coopers is my preferred option.Any ideas where to get in in Dublin city center?It's a last minute shopping for a friend of mine.Thanks!

• Advertisement

Online is your best bet -- they can usually deliver in a couple of days. There is no homebrew shop in Dublin city centre. The large Tescos mentioned above are the only bricks-and-mortar homebrew suppliers in Dublin at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 guzluka

Anyone got any ideas if Clearwater Finglas Tesco still stocks homebrewing kit and bits?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,477 ✭✭✭Heroditas

guzluka wrote: »
    Anyone got any ideas if Clearwater Finglas Tesco still stocks homebrewing kit and bits?

I was up there last Friday and can't remember seeing any of that stuff.
    I could be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,145 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

According to the The Mottly Brews Facebook page they have 10% off their Coopers kits until next Saturday. €13:45 each

Advertisement