Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Access to Dundalk off M1

Options
  • 17-10-2012 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Absolute chaotic situation coming into Dundalk from the Dublin side. Exit 16 (Dundalk North) closed for Roadworks until 22nd Oct. One small sign (after the previous exit) warning about this. Would have made more sense to alert people to use the Castebellingham exit to access north of the town from the Old Dublin road.

As a consequence, every artery is clogged up.A little bit of planning and coordination would go a long way !!!

Looks like it will continue until next week so pass the word around

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭callmekenneth

clowns, the whole town is like a car park

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭thesphinx

Absolute joke... I wasn't even aware of it hadn't seen the small sign, I came off the N53 Castlebalyney/Dundalk there was no signage that I could see that the road was going to be closed. I already have to endure the road works on the N53 already. I rang Dundalk Town Council, they indicated that they already had recieved several complaints, they indicated it was on the radio, local press. All the gu said was that he would pass my complaint on to the Engineer, he took my number but I doubt I will hear anything more from him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Would Celtic Roads as the M1 operator not be responsible for the appropriate signage? Maybe they should be the ones for a call to be given to directing Dundalk (South surely if coming from Dublin) to exit at Castlebellingham for the N1.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Nyberg

I live just off this road and we weren't informed either, simple trip into town is a trek now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭blingrhino

Absolute disgrace 1 hr 40 mins from Dunleer into work This morning !
    One crappy sign coming from the drogheda direction .
    Ardee,Carrick and blayney roads backed up till the bottle neck at the Garda station .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Norma_Desmond

Is it just closed coming into Dundalk? What I mean is can you get onto the motor way towards Dublin from junction 16? I did recall seeing the little sign last week but didn't get to read it all by the time I got past it!

Regardless of who owns the roads, Dundalk Town Council is the people responsible for the road closure, so hence they should arrange to inform the public who use this road that it is going to be closed. This is not a Local or Regional Road, it is a national route. Problem is we haven't had a clear answer of when the road is going to be re-opened. I was told by the town council that is was going to be closed 10days, the garda say it will be 3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Sorry, but...

Which road is closed?

Coming off the M1 @ Exit 16 (which is Dundalk South, by the way, not Dundalk North) there are three ways to get into the town:

1. Go left out the Ardee road, then turn right and into Dundalk that way

2. Go right but take the first left (10m before the traffic lights) and use that road (don't know its name) that joins up with the Ardee road about 1km S of Rath, and go on in the Ardee road from there

3. Go right and follow the dual carriageway all the way into 'Xerox Junction' and then either in the old Dublin road or on round the bypass depending on where you're trying to get to.

So; which if these three is actually closed?

I came into the town via option 3 last night, and while there were signs of ongoing work visible, the road was open. Maybe it's only closed during the day?

Anyway, if option 3 is closed during the day, are options 1 and 2 still available?

Thanks.

locum-motion

Yesterday the only option availble was option number 1.

Apparently they re-open the road in the evening, I spoke with Louth County Council, and was told that the engineer was supposed to close the road at 9:30 in the morning and not at 8:30. I was also told by Louth County Council that this road will re-open fully on Wednesday the 24th October 2012, and will be open prior to 9:30 each moning,.

So Option 1 is the only option available during the day

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Pixie71

Its chaotic, I travel into Dundalk from Castlebellingham area everymorning and there was a tail back as far as sextons pub at 8.25 so I went around the back way to get to my destination, crazy!
    We got an email at work at 4.45 to tell us that the gardai had told our employer to inform us. Its gonna be for ages and its ridiculous, once caught I think that people will travel earlier and still get caught up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Hanlor

As far as I can make out, the current works will continue until next Tuesday (until 6.00pm each day) and then the works switch to other side of road and the issue will be access onto the M1/ N52 rather than exit from them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭blingrhino

why can these roadworks not be done at night given the fact that it is the main artery into dundalk:rolleyes:

Because this is Ireland and we are not efficient enough to do these works out of work hours when the road wouldnt be needed as much. now if this was germany, it would take only a day to fix and wouldnt affect commuters at all :)

Still seeing conflicting stories regards this... Louth County Council said it will re-open on Wednesday 24th October 2012, AA Roadwatch say it will reopen on the 29th October. According to both sources they are saying tho roap will remain open before 9am, I am wondering can you get onto this at J16 from the M1 Motorway prior to 9am.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Hasn't really bothered me to be honest. Few extra minutes in the motor. Not a big deal...

Im just avoiding driving anywhere near it and the dublin road as its just a pain to get stuck in the traffic

MugMugs - everyones situation is different, when you travel a long distance to work already, and additional 30mins can mean alot, and if you haven't planned for it becasue of false advertising or it not being advertised at all thaen it can cause issues if you are late for work, meetings, appointments... In the grand scheme of things it isn't life or death, but it could have been advertised better by louth county council, and better still it could have been done next week during mid-term, not much thought seem tto have went into it.

At the junction at DKIT/Xerox today, the right turn to the m1 has a digital sign saying no access to the m1!

Pixie71 wrote: »
    At the junction at DKIT/Xerox today, the right turn to the m1 has a digital sign saying no access to the m1!

Yeah that road was closed from the little roundabout towards the motorway.

Advertisement