Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most popular Irish sport today

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Why are GAA and Football both listed?? :D

Surely Football and Soccer would make more sense!

NO, it should have been . . . .

FOOTBALL
    Association
    Gaelic/Peile
    Rugby Union
    Rugby League
    American
    Aussie Rules
    Five a side

:))

• Site Banned Posts: 69 ✭✭greecy_joe

their is a difference between a casual kick around between mates on a wednesday evening and paritcipating in an organised structured offical county or national league - championship

gaelic football is the most popular in respect of the latter , followed by hurling and then soccer

soccer is probabley the most popular in respect of the former as while no one plays hurling in cavan and donegal , no one plays gaelic football in kilkenny , soccer is popular in every county to some degree

my own favourite sport is soccer and everything else is a distant second

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭brennan1979

9959 wrote: »
    If you're seriously asserting that Gaeilge Football is as popular in working-class Dublin as Football (Association), then I'm afraid the place where you live may look, sound, and even smell (not great) like Dublin, but I suggest that it's a land far more cloudier with a huge population of cuckoos.

No I wouldn't say that at all. You seem to be having a conversation with yourself and ignoring my posts. The part of Dublin I'm from there are lots of soccer clubs and lots of GAA clubs. I made a point about referring to football as bogball. As I said I love soccer. Unfortunately I don't go to no where near as many League of Ireland games as I used to. The people who go to Richmond Park or Dalymount Park or support their local teams around the country get a tip of the hat from me. If a visitor from abroad was to visit a LOI game in Dublin they would be left with the impression it wasn't that popular at all due to the size of the crowds. Shame really.

NinjaK wrote: »
    Football is GAA, should have said soccer as its called in Ireland.

Football is footie, always called Football in South Dublin, calling the beautiful game 'soccer' seems to be a sport in itself ;)

• Site Banned Posts: 69 ✭✭greecy_joe

football is gaelic football in ireland

i say that as someone who perfers soccer to GAA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

No I wouldn't say that at all. You seem to be having a conversation with yourself and ignoring my posts. The part of Dublin I'm from there are lots of soccer clubs and lots of GAA clubs. I made a point about referring to football as bogball. As I said I love soccer. Unfortunately I don't go to no where near as many League of Ireland games as I used to. The people who go to Richmond Park or Dalymount Park or support their local teams around the country get a tip of the hat from me. If a visitor from abroad was to visit a LOI game in Dublin they would be left with the impression it wasn't that popular at all due to the size of the crowds. Shame really.

Give Tallaght a try, good football, decent crowds and you won't hear the word 'soccer' uttered at all.
    I'd stay away from Dalymount Park, you might feel a bit lonely, particularly if you shout, "That's great 'soccer' they're playing lads".
    Shame really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

iDave wrote: »
    Gaelic football for me, followed by Soccer then Rugby. Love hurling too but being from a football county its hard to get passionate about it when your team is Christy Ring standard. I also love F1.
    As for the biggest, well I think the growth of Rugby is overstated and somewhat masked by the strong attendances the provinces get. The fact is the GAA has more clubs in Cork than Rugby has in all of Ireland. I would venture a guess Gaelic football and Association football are neck and neck in terms of participation.

So your saying great match attendence makes thee sport seem more popular then it is? Wouldn't good match attendence just mean it was popular?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I think you can guess how I voted.

It's definitely GAA. 3 really popular sports in one, handball, hurling and football.

horse racing is brilliant, even if you arent into it. i brought my father in law racing for the first time in killarney a few weeks ago. he didnt even do a bet but enjoyed the day so much that he is dying to go again

I'm not into horse racing and its not brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Haven't read the thread at all, but I'm betting it's eight pages of arguing over whether GAA or soccer should get called football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭brennan1979

Give Tallaght a try, good football, decent crowds and you won't hear the word 'soccer' uttered at all.
    I'd stay away from Dalymount Park, you might feel a bit lonely, particularly if you shout, "That's great 'soccer' they're playing lads".
    Shame really.

Unfortunately I haven't been out to Tallaght yet. Will have to head out. Won't be shouting for Rovers though :-)

Haven't read the thread at all, but I'm betting it's eight pages of arguing over whether GAA or soccer should get called football.

I did warn the lad (post#13) but he insisted on playing the way he was facing, to be fair he has given it 110%, at least he had a go, to be fair, eh obviously...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Shame really.

You mean the lonely away section when Bohs were destroying Rovers 4-0 and all the die-hards emptied out by the hundreds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

At the moment I'd say the results of the poll are pretty much spot on as a representation of the country.

Rugby's at an all time high but it wasn't that popular before on a national level, it was mainly restricted to south Dublin, Limerick, Cork and Belfast.

I think rugby's having its golden age at the moment, a little bit like soccer back in the late 80s / early 1990s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭- bo -

Give Tallaght a try, good football...

Good one :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Not too much of that thank God, the Loi and Gah heads haven't got the alert yet.

Gaelic for me as I grew up in an area that didn't even have a soccer club, we'd have played it at school during breaks obviously but Gaelic was at an organised coaching and team level. On a national level soccer has more active players but obviously Gaelic attracts the crowds. When BBC started to televise Gaelic back in the 80's the team behind the scenes couldn't believe the attendances at Ulster Finals, all they were used to was Schools Cup Rugby finals, a couple of thousand at the Rugby Inter-pros when Ulster dominated and IFA Cup finals.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Rugby marginally ahead of soccer, followed by all other sports, followed by GAA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

Football(Soccer) has never been a "fad" in this country,its been there since before the foundation of the state,surviving even though it had the power of the Church and State against it

Somehow I doubt very, very much that the garrison game had the British state against it.

But carry on....

tolosenc wrote: »
    Rugby marginally ahead of soccer, followed by all other sports, followed by GAA.

Ah the bitterness of the anti-GAA/Irish brigade. Relentless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Ah well, it was nice while it lasted.

All we need are the Loi diehards and on your marks.................

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

LordSutch wrote: »
    Football is footie, always called Football in South Dublin

As an arch defender of all things British, particularly its rule in Ireland: "you would say that, wouldn't you."

Should you ever make it to educated parts of south Dublin, like Kilmacud or Ballyboden, you'll find that "football" is football, and certainly not the garrison game beloved of legions of barely literate British tabloid-following, braindead, British tv-following simpletons whose concept of "sporting tradition" is to follow the same British soccer team from their couch that their equally challenged auld fella followed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Football, Golf, Hurling, Gaelic Football in that order

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Seanchai wrote: »
    As an arch defender of all things British, particularly its rule in Ireland: "you would say that, wouldn't you."

Should you ever make it to educated parts of south Dublin, like Kilmacud or Ballyboden, you'll find that "football" is football, and certainly not the garrison game beloved of legions of barely literate British tabloid-following, braindead, British tv-following simpletons whose concept of "sporting tradition" is to follow the same British soccer team from their couch that their equally challenged auld fella followed.

Ok hang on there. I follow soccer week-in, week-out. I am not braindead, nor do I follow a British soccer team that my 'equally challenged' auld fella (wtf?!) followed. I do not subscribe to British tabloids. As for this Garrison game tag you love to throw around? Last time I noticed, soccer was the most widely supported game on the planet. World Cup, ever hear of it? The last one was viewed by 400 Million people per game. So it's a Global game, a chara.

Hurrah, he's back, and in full anti-British fighting form as per norm :rolleyes:

"Brain dead simpletons" is it :confused:

I think you have insulted quite a few football followers there dear fellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

Got to be rowing, without a doubt. It may seem obscure, boring and pointless to you "normal" lot, but once you've caught the bug, you've got it. When I'm competing I prefer kickboxing, though its nigh impossible to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭reeb

iDave wrote: »
    Ah great another self hating Irish person, thats all we need.
    Sounds to me like he hates GAA, not himself. I hate the way GAHheads think they have a monopoly on Irishness. I detest the GAA and am every bit as Irish as some group of bog wrestlers who spend their weekend assaulting referees

reeb wrote: »
    I hate the way GAHheads think they have a monopoly on Irishness. I detest the GAA and am every bit as Irish as some group of bog wrestlers who spend their weekend assaulting referees

You're not. Don't delude yourself. You might have an Irish identity of some shade (as does Ian Paisley), but you've clearly a massive chip on your shoulder about Irish culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Has bog snorkelling been mentioned at all???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭reeb

You're not. Don't delude yourself. You might have an Irish identity of some shade (as does Ian Paisley), but you've clearly a massive chip on your shoulder about Irish culture.
    You sound like a member of the SS mate. Listen to yourself.

SaulGoode9 wrote: »
    Football, Golf, Hurling, Gaelic Football in that order

Is that really what you think the order is of the most popular sports in Ireland at the moment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭rab!dmonkey

Downhill mountain biking is my favourite sport to watch and compete in. Other disciplines of cycling are ok too.

Rugby union is my favourite code of football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Sniping!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Somehow I doubt very, very much that the garrison game had the British state against it.
    But carry on....
    My father RIP lived in a garrison town. He remembers the British soldiers marching, playing hockey, and other stuff.
    My father played Gaelic football, soccer, rugby, and tennis. He played in a minor all-Ireland final. The local GAA banned him because he played soccer. So he and a few others set up a soccer club in a provincial town. It is still going strong sixty years later. Thank you GAA for promoting soccer. :pac:

I detest the GAA and am every bit as Irish as some group of bog wrestlers
    You sound like a member of the SS mate.

cor blimey, a'roigh' gov.

Irish people who say "mate"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Ah, he doesn't like the same sport as you so he is somehow less Irish.

As it is I'd say association football and GAA football are about equally as popular, followed by hurling and then rugby union on this island.

my preference is
    rugby league
    baseball
    association football
    hurling
    rugby union
    American football
    and then anything that's on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Sounds to me like he hates GAA, not himself. I hate the way GAHheads think they have a monopoly on Irishness. I detest the GAA and am every bit as Irish as some group of bog wrestlers who spend their weekend assaulting referees

GAA people dont have a monopoly on Irishness, but they are a much higher standard of person than those who refer to their compatriots as 'bog wrestlers'.

summerskin wrote: »
    Ah, he doesn't like the same sport as you so he is somehow less Irish.

Seeing as you have confessed to being British (of the nationalistic variety) here already, and also to hating Ireland, your views on these sort of things should be read in that context.

Seeing as you have confessed to being British (of the nationalistic variety) here already, and also to hating Ireland, your views on these sort of things should be read in that context.

Yes yes, I hate Ireland so much that i moved here with my irish wife, irish daughter, had another irish child here, watch Clare GAA and Munster and Ireland Rugby, took classes in irish to help my children at school and help out with the local youth club. Oh, and my mother, grandmother and grandfather are all irish.

Of course, that doesn't mean that there aren't things about Ireland that drive me mad.

However, if I express those feelings I get abused by the likes of yourself, as where if an irishman says them it's all grand.

There's nothing wrong with still loving the country you are from after you move. I'm British, and in particular, English. North of England to be more precise.

Surely you should know how i feel, living in the UK yourself and being a proud Irishman?

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

GAA for me, I enjoy playing it and watching it. I also enjoy watching Soccer, American Football, Rugby and some Baseball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Rugby...especially at club level in Ireland.
    My gra for football has dimished over the last few years as its turned into a poorly refereed game involving diving, time wasting, cynical fouls and faking of injuries while the referees stand by and watch this happen, Donegal, Dublin, Kildare and Mayo all badly guily of this over the last 2 seasons, Dublin Donegal last season was puke football as Spillane would say. Little time for soccer as its another pansy play acting game. Love hurling & have great respect for boxing.

This isn't the first time that you've accused someone of having a chip on their shoulder, what next I wonder?

Roy Keane accusing someone of 'Having a bit of a temper'?
    Eamon Dunphy accusing someone of being 'Deliberately controversial'?
    You accusing someone of being 'Too nationalistic'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭danwhite88

Has to be basketball.

danwhite88 wrote: »
    Has to be basketball.

How could basketball ever be classed as the most popular sport in Ireland????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

Is trolling classed as a sport yet?*

*may have been asked, I'm too lazy to read through all of this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭mcwinning

summerskin wrote: »
    How could basketball ever be classed as the most popular sport in Ireland????

The thread is about 'your favourite sport' not the most popular in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Mahogany

mcwinning wrote: »
    The thread is about 'your favourite sport' not the most popular in Ireland.

Might want to recheck that mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭mcwinning

Mahogany wrote: »
    Might want to recheck that mate.

Sorry I wasn't clear on that. The poll is about 'your favourite sport' and the OP was about getting peoples opinion on their favourite sport in order to get a general indication on what is Ireland's most popular sport, as opposed to the most popular sport by participation numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

danwhite88 wrote: »
    Has to be basketball.

It amazes me that basketball isn't bigger in Ireland, considering our weather and the fact that we have an abundance of suitable facilities right across the country. Nearly every little town and village has a parish hall which could be used as a court.

But yet its my understanding that we don't even field an international team anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

Association football is the most popular sport in Dublin by a mile.

Advertisement