Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most popular Irish sport today

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Luxie wrote: »
    Handball? I remember as a child it being televised on RTE. But that was 30 odd years ago. Don't think it's televised now and I never see anything about anywhere in the meeja!

Its been in the media almost non stop for the past week. There has also been highlight shows on tg4 for the past two years. The World Championships were also shown albeit deferred and in highlight format this week on tg4. Its taking off again. Its the only GAA sport with a legitimate hope of becoming an Olympic sport. It will be an exhibition sport at the World Games in Columbia next year which is a trial run for the Olympics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

blue note wrote: »
    Very true. The coverage of rugby is so rose tinted it's incredible. Everytime there's an awful incident like eye-gouging or a spear tackle or stamping on someone's head the media and players all rush to say that the perpetrator is not that type of player and it's out of character and he shouldn't be harshly treated. In most games there seems to be a few scuffles where there's a little dig or two thrown. The little digs are usually in the heat of the moment and I don't really mind them, but if they happened in soccer the media would be calling for a lengthy ban and would label the player as a bit of a scumbag. In GAA if a bit of a schemozzle breaks out in a Junior C match in wicklow the Indo are there to splash it on their front page, but players are practically never actually injured from these schemozzles. They are, as they say, handbags.
    You clearly don't follow rugby at all.

eye gouge = 6/12 month ban

Spear tackle/head stamp you're looking at 6/8 weeks minimum. You're making it out as if Rugby players aren't punished for indiscretions. Compared to say football the punishments are far greater, and the amount of retrospective bans are far greater too. If the referee misses an incident, it WILL be reviewed, unlike football. And bans are generally 6-12 weeks long, not 1/3 matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭dttq

Seanchai wrote: »
    Please do come back to us all with your mandate to speak for "most other people in Dublin" on this issue. In the meantime, try and curtail your propensity for talking arrant shíte.

People up and down this country follow both football and GAA teams, and see no conflict in their loyalty to teams playing each sport.
    Oh, and your "football" is still just soccer no matter how much your evident prejudice against the GAA says otherwise.

Evident prejudice against the GAA? Didn't I just say I followed the GAA a few hours ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Seanchai banned for perpetual trolling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

dttq wrote: »
    A load of tosh. I and most other people in Dublin, if not Ireland who follow football also follow GAA. I've never seen it as a one-or-the-other dilemma, and see no conflict between supporting both football and GAA teams, as most logical people in this country with no hang ups would agree with me on. It seems this anti-football , "it's a garrison game" rubbish comes from extreme Republicans (usually in the North) with a chip on their shoulder about anything of interest which detracts from their insular and parochial worldview, or what they consider constitutes a "real Irishman".

It's also ironic that you believe you have the right to insult people, as well as indulge in casual racism on an almost daily basis.

You get in reverse from the diehard Loi heads, hatred of GAA and people who follow foreign leagues. The similarities with the no to foreign games GAA bunch are beyond parody.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭dttq

K-9 wrote: »
    You get in reverse from the diehard Loi heads, hatred of GAA and people who follow foreign leagues. The similarities with the no to foreign games GAA bunch are beyond parody.

In fairness you have a point there. There are many within the Football supporter community who hold derogatory views of the GAA and it's followers (e.g. terms such as bogball), and it's every bit as immature and unnecessary as the belief that if you take an interest in football, or any sport which didn't originate in Ireland, that you're a traitor/ regional Brit :rolleyes: / Oirish Englishman or whatever other rubbish, and not just someone who simply has an interest in watching a game of football.

Then again, I think politics should be left out of sport, and I'm sure there are some within the football community that hate the GAA for political reasons, as there are some within the GAA community who hate football for political reasons. At the end of the day, they are just two sports with different rules and different styles of play. I really don't see why some drag politics/ culture into a debate like this, or feel the need to do so. And again, I've been up and down the country and I would say that 99% of people in this country would have no problem supporting both football and the GAA (as pubs up and down the country can attest with screenings of both GAA and football matches on a weekly basis), or are simply indifferent on the matter.

Then again you will always have the strange few who cannot see that these games are just different sports with different rules, and will bring their political ideologies into the argument. There are also those who will go on and on about how we are following a British sport, despite it been the most followed sport across Europe and Latin America, you would swear that only the English played football listening to some posters on here.

But I'd appreciate playing the National Anthem in Casement Park is more significant than Clones or Ballybofey, it just does. That doesn't mean they are anymore Irish or any of that nonsense, it just shows how important the GAA was/is to the six counties. I remember being in Armagh in 88 and didn't have a clue of the significance of the Irish anthem played there, all I cared about was getting Ireland England updates from Stuttgart on the wireless!

The GAA in the 6 counties isn't just politics, it's culture, same as Ulster Rugby is a culture, different from the other provinces.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Leave Politics/religion out of sport in this country and we be laughing.

Culture my bollocks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

But I'd appreciate playing the National Anthem in Casement Park is more significant than Clones or Ballybofey, it just does. That doesn't mean they are anymore Irish or any of that nonsense, it just shows how important the GAA was/is to the six counties. I remember being in Armagh in 88 and didn't have a clue of the significance of the Irish anthem played there, all I cared about was getting Ireland England updates from Stuttgart on the wireless!

The GAA in the 6 counties isn't just politics, it's culture, same as Ulster Rugby is a culture, different from the other provinces.

'The Story of the G.A.A.' printed in 1916 by Thomas F O'Sullivan, former trustee and vice-president of the association, a former president of the Munster council and a past secretary of the Kerry county board.

This from his introductory chapter:

"The GAA has not only helped to develop Irish bone and muscle, but to foster a spirit of earnest nationality, in the hearts of the rising generation, and it has been the means of saving thousands of young Irishmen from becoming mere West Britons"

'That was then this is now' I hear you say, quoting 'ABC'.
    Well have another look at some of the posts on this thread and perhaps you'll agree with a line from a 'Talking Heads' song,

'Same as it ever was'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

9959 wrote: »
    'The Story of the G.A.A.' printed in 1916 by Thomas F O'Sullivan, former trustee and vice-president of the association, a former president of the Munster council and a past secretary of the Kerry county board.

This from his introductory chapter:

"The GAA has not only helped to develop Irish bone and muscle, but to foster a spirit of earnest nationality, in the hearts of the rising generation, and it has been the means of saving thousands of young Irishmen from becoming mere West Britons"

'That was then this is now' I hear you say, quoting 'ABC'.
    Well have another look at some of the posts on this thread and perhaps you'll agree with a line from a 'Talking Heads' song,

'Same as it ever was'
    You were the first person on this thread to introduce terms like "bogball" and "stick fighting"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

fapping.

You were the first person on this thread to introduce terms like "bogball" and "stick fighting"!

Let's have a fight about it, The True Irish v The West Brits

My point is, that saying the GAA is not political, even today, is nonsense.

A quick story, you can choose to believe it or not.
    A few years ago - not too many - my nephew from Knocklyon, Dublin was told that there would be a 'jersey' day in his school.
    On the appointed day he proudly marched in wearing his Shamrock Rovers jersey, only to be told by his (rural) teacher "not that type of jersey, only nancy boys wear those, have you not got a Dublin jersey?".

The irony was that a few months previous to that his non-nancy boy brawny sons of Erin were mauled like rag-dolls by the Aussies and left strewn around the battle-field of Croke Park in a compromise rules game.

Let's have a fight about it, The True Irish v The West Brits
    You're the person looking for a fight!:rolleyes:

You're the person looking for a fight!:rolleyes:

I did introduce the terms 'bogball' and 'stick fighting' to this thread, but I didn't invent them.
    I just knew that it would end up being political, I'm sick and tired of the 'I'm more Irish than you brigade' and then when challenged, the same folk move the goalposts (pun intended) and say "the GAA is not political".
    Spare me.

I did introduce the terms 'bogball' and 'stick fighting' to this thread, but I didn't invent them.
    I just knew that it would end up being political, I'm sick and tired of the 'I'm more Irish than you brigade' and then when challenged, the same folk move the goalposts (pun intended) and say "the GAA is not political".
    Spare me.

Of course its not political its cultural. It was set up to restore Irish culture and identity without being political. When there was an attempt to utilise it politically there was up roar and those in the IRB tossed out in 1888 with the re-election of Davin. Its was founded to promote cultural nationalism which is not the same as political nationalism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

You'll have fads like soccer or rugby that get a boost from the bandwagoners when things go well like the Leinster "brand" is doing at the moment, but the GAA will always have a solid core fanbase in dozens of clubs in every county of the land, that stays loyal no matter what.

"Soccer" I think you mean football a fad? Its been played on this island for nearly 150 years at an organised level.

Football clubs like Shamrock Rovers and Sligo will always have a solid core fanbase as well as dozens of clubs in every county of the land, that stays loyal no matter what. Get a history book. When the British interned loads of volunteers during the War of Independence some mad GAA men were disgusted to see that there were so many Association Footballers in those camps. It shattered their illusions about the "foreign game".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Any talk of "Foreign Games" in the 21st century is a loads of codswollop. GAA, Association Football, Rugby Union, Athletics, Hockey, Cricket, Basketball, Cycling, Swimming, all have equal status in a modern Ireland. You can be as sporting and as Irish as anybody else, and only be into one sport, which may or may not be a GAA sport.

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Of course its not political its cultural. It was set up to restore Irish culture and identity without being political. When there was an attempt to utilise it politically there was up roar and those in the IRB tossed out in 1888 with the re-election of Davin. Its was founded to promote cultural nationalism which is not the same as political nationalism.

Was the 'Ban' cultural or political?

I assume you mean the ban involving the playing of foreign games. Politics is to do with governance of a country or area. It was a rule which was used to promote the sport and get people playing. It has nothing to do with politics.

I assume you mean the ban involving the playing of foreign games. Politics is to do with governance of a country or area. It was a rule which was used to promote the sport and get people playing. It has nothing to do with politics.

No, not only playing, but a ban on attending 'foreign games', if you were a player of 'non-foreign' games, the very phrase 'foreign games' is risible.
    But that's 'culture' for you.

• Advertisement

No, not only playing, but a ban on attending 'foreign games', if you were a player of 'non-foreign' games, the very phrase 'foreign games' is risible.

Its nationalism not culture.

I am just trying to show you the difference between political/militant nationalism eg Sinn Fein/IRB and cultural nationalism eg GAA, Irish Literary Theatre etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Im surprised that GAA isnt ahead by even more!

The "ban" is gone 40 years ago, get over it. In most places it was never even imposed. My Dad, his brothers and his friends all played GAA and rugby back in the 60s.

Anyway, the ban was on people playing GAA sports not foreign ones!

Its nationalism not culture.

I am just trying to show you the difference between political/militant nationalism eg Sinn Fein/IRB and cultural nationalism eg GAA, Irish Literary Theatre etc.

Wow, how do keep your balance while dancing on the head of a pin.

By the way I believe The Orange Order maintain that their organisation is cultural and not political.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 qwertyuiopa

Ah,it was only a matter of time before the ban was brought up...Its so predictable really from the anti-gaa brigade

1.insult GAA people by referring to their games as bogball,stick fighting etc

2.Once someone inevitably reacts to the provocation its claimed that this reply represents the fascist,provo,backwoodsman etc attitude that seemingly permeates all things gaa

3.This opens the gates now for the all out attack on the GAA-rule 42,grab all association,the ban(gone 40 years+ now!)etc

As was said earlier 99% of people love sport for what it is,me included

For the record my favourite sports are hurling and (association) football

Wow, how do keep your balance while dancing on the head of a pin.

By the way I believe The Orange Order maintain that their organisation is cultural and not political.

You seem to be unable to make the distinction between different strands of nationalism. I'm not defending either just pointing out the very real difference between political and cultural nationalism. The important word is nationalism not whether it is political or cultural. If its a nationalist organisation it will have rules pertaining to this. The GAA recognised itself as an organisation promoting national culture. Nationalism is the thing both have in common but they appear in different forms. To call it a political organisation is stupid, when it becomes a party looking to be elected into government it has political motives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    Is that really what you think the order is of the most popular sports in Ireland at the moment?

No, it's the order of my personal preference

• Registered Users Posts: 37 qwertyuiopa

Spare me.

I believe one poster brought this up and he's been (correctly) banned..Hardly a 'brigade' now is it??

?.. The important word is nationalism not whether it is political or cultural.

I agree that the important word is nationalism, but unlike you I don't agree that nationalism of any stripe can be truly apolitical.

Watching Norwich v Arsenal at the moment, and guess who was in the crowd?
    Trapp!
    It's a world gone mad.

It was cultural and political, historically.

These days it means banning hurling players from playing Gaelic, and vice versa. The ban now now means giving your full dedication to one sport. Playing Hurling and Gaelic is frowned on in the modern era.

You can take on board that information or ignore it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Utterly subjective. I find almost all spectator sports to be poison to watch unless you have an invested interest. I find most people's obsession with watching sport just plain bizarre. I way prefer to actually play myself. Each to their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

favourite sport is sychonised (spelling i know) diving. then Gaelic football, hurling, rugby, soccer, swimming boxing and cycling :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

harney wrote: »
    Is trolling classed as a sport yet?*

If it is we have a gold medal winner here -
    Pherekydes wrote: »

Golf is not a sport. Horse racing is better known as gambling.

- And no need to have this one dope tested either.

You seem to be unable to make the distinction between different strands of nationalism. I'm not defending either just pointing out the very real difference between political and cultural nationalism. The important word is nationalism not whether it is political or cultural. If its a nationalist organisation it will have rules pertaining to this. The GAA recognised itself as an organisation promoting national culture. Nationalism is the thing both have in common but they appear in different forms. To call it a political organisation is stupid, when it becomes a party looking to be elected into government it has political motives.
    It was cultural and political, historically.

These days it means banning hurling players from playing Gaelic, and vice versa. The ban now now means giving your full dedication to one sport. Playing Hurling and Gaelic is frowned on in the modern era.

I agree with the first sentence in your post.
    I disagree with the first two sentences in 'Mardy Bum's' post.
    That was my point.

Advertisement