Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sub60Swim

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Great, we've got a puker on our hands...which means extra work for the lifeguards and a pain in the arse for everyone because the pool will have to be closed and super-chlorinated. We hated your type when I worked at the pool. ;)

Not in the pool proper, on the deck in my bag or something. i'm not that manky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭okane1

Wondering what is the point in working fulling on anaerobic training on the off season. Surely it would be best to focus on technique and aerobic training.The number one fact that limits perform in distance swimming is stroke technique.

I also coach and if I was to create a scheme of work for the coming 15wks, the majority of it would be drills and kicking. Improve their stroke length and then stroke count. Once this is dialled, then throw in the 80% plus work. No point sprinting on a bad stroke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

okane1 wrote: »
    Wondering what is the point in working fulling on anaerobic training on the off season. Surely it would be best to focus on technique and aerobic training.The number one fact that limits perform in distance swimming is stroke technique.

Its a good comment, and I'd agree that stroke technique is important - is it the number one fact that limits performance in distance swimming ? sorry, too much of a generalisation for my blood, but I'd guess that swim fitness would play a big part in it.

But hey, lets tease things out for fun - for example, me .... I've always had a fairly rubbish stroke (not my words) as things go, I breath every stroke, to one side, I don't kick enough and my left arm is too straight when I get tired during the pull phase. At the level I swim at (not exactly oly/international standard) do I think my technique limits my speed ? probably. Is swim fitness a bigger factor these days ? definitely. I'm lucky in that I train with age group swimmers where .. maybe .. 10% of 3 sessions is stroke work but I regularly get corrections related to my stroke. Do I or any other swimmer in the pool do 3 hours of stroke a week do technique work. Nope. But hey, every coach and swimmer has a differing opinion - and it's D'internet after all.

Again, just for fun ....
    Being specific .... two swimmers in a pool Friday - one has a reasonably good stroke - can do 1 fast 100 free in 1.22 but can't do a 200 free in under 3.30. Limiting factor? technique ? maybe ... a stroke can always be improved ... but I'd be thinking build up swim fitness with appropriate sets so that they can split 1.40/1.40 for their 200 instead of dying a death.
    Another swimmer in the pool, hips under the water, almost non existent kick, shortens stroke at every opportunity. Definitely time to be well spent doing some stroke work, drills etc. After two or 3 hours of that they know what they should be doing, they work on it outside Fridays, and they're much better equipped to deal with aerobic sets to help them improve their fitness.

It's about each **specific** swimmer, getting something out of it. But the challenge when coaching a group is to coach it as a group but inform the individuals within that group of the things they could be doing better outside the session to improve.

The two things we've every intention of addressing over the initial 10 weeks are peoples swim technique and swim fitness. How much will be required for each swimmer ? no idea ... if 20% of the people on Friday have major stroke problems will 100% of the people be doing stroke drills for the first 3 weeks. Very, very unlikely. That said the 20% will get the space and time and sets to work on their technique without impacting on the other swimmers.

It's 10 weeks, a total of 10 hours - a couple of long bike rides - but that's the plan and challenge and we'll work with the swimmers that come along on Friday.

... No point sprinting on a bad stroke.
    I'd go further and say that there's little point swimmer with a bad stroke.

Also, purely for fun - I'd never consider sets of 100's or even 50's to be anaerobic. Maybe 12.5m efforts ... but imho an anaerobic effort lasts seconds rather than minutes - and we currently don't have anyone doing 100's that fast just yet.

Many thanks for the input though. Good luck with the swimming and coaching - and hopefully I'll see you for RoundTheHead again next summer ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Best of luck with this interested. Your advice is, from just casual observation, carefully weighted and sound. Id agree 100% that a coach is judged on performance and progression. The objective of coaching is facilitating development forwards. A key element to this is curiosity. How do I do that? What do I do differently? Its easy to ask the client the questions but without an nate coach curiosity the client will just be dependent rather than curious. I feel this is important as we take hundreds of thousands of strokes during a season. Without curiosity you will largely go through the motions for most of those strokes.

For this reason I agree that its not a good idea to take what the coach says and suffer on your own. I'd be all over this session like a rash and would only too happily suffer, knowing that my faults would be exaggerated under the coaches eye...

One thing worth doing on your own is to focus on one single technical aspect. For example the catch. Track that one element through the work and explore what happens it when you begin to suffer. Another thing I do is to try to finish the last 100 of any sessions with the best form possible.

Excuse the waffle. Good thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭okane1

interested wrote: »
    Its a good comment, and I'd agree that stroke technique is important - is it the number one fact that limits performance in distance swimming ? sorry, too much of a generalisation for my blood, but I'd guess that swim fitness would play a big part in it.

But hey, lets tease things out for fun - for example, me .... I've always had a fairly rubbish stroke (not my words) as things go, I breath every stroke, to one side, I don't kick enough and my left arm is too straight when I get tired during the pull phase. At the level I swim at (not exactly oly/international standard) do I think my technique limits my speed ? probably. Is swim fitness a bigger factor these days ? definitely. I'm lucky in that I train with age group swimmers where .. maybe .. 10% of 3 sessions is stroke work but I regularly get corrections related to my stroke. Do I or any other swimmer in the pool do 3 hours of stroke a week do technique work. Nope. But hey, every coach and swimmer has a differing opinion - and it's D'internet after all.

Again, just for fun ....
    Being specific .... two swimmers in a pool Friday - one has a reasonably good stroke - can do 1 fast 100 free in 1.22 but can't do a 200 free in under 3.30. Limiting factor? technique ? maybe ... a stroke can always be improved ... but I'd be thinking build up swim fitness with appropriate sets so that they can split 1.40/1.40 for their 200 instead of dying a death.
    Another swimmer in the pool, hips under the water, almost non existent kick, shortens stroke at every opportunity. Definitely time to be well spent doing some stroke work, drills etc. After two or 3 hours of that they know what they should be doing, they work on it outside Fridays, and they're much better equipped to deal with aerobic sets to help them improve their fitness.

It's about each **specific** swimmer, getting something out of it. But the challenge when coaching a group is to coach it as a group but inform the individuals within that group of the things they could be doing better outside the session to improve.

The two things we've every intention of addressing over the initial 10 weeks are peoples swim technique and swim fitness. How much will be required for each swimmer ? no idea ... if 20% of the people on Friday have major stroke problems will 100% of the people be doing stroke drills for the first 3 weeks. Very, very unlikely. That said the 20% will get the space and time and sets to work on their technique without impacting on the other swimmers.

It's 10 weeks, a total of 10 hours - a couple of long bike rides - but that's the plan and challenge and we'll work with the swimmers that come along on Friday.

I'd go further and say that there's little point swimmer with a bad stroke.

Also, purely for fun - I'd never consider sets of 100's or even 50's to be anaerobic. Maybe 12.5m efforts ... but imho an anaerobic effort lasts seconds rather than minutes - and we currently don't have anyone doing 100's that fast just yet.

Many thanks for the input though. Good luck with the swimming and coaching - and hopefully I'll see you for RoundTheHead again next summer ;)

Did not mean to come across the way I did!
    I was quoting Maglischo - Swimming Fastest were he gives the following factors for limiting performance in distance swims;

Stroke Technique
    Ability to delay acidosis
    Rate of anaerobic metabolism.

I full understand in a group you will have all abilities. Some require more work, overall bad technique, others need slight adjustments. Obviously the swimmers with poor technique would benefit with more drills, less with an advance swimmer. We often build drills into sets, kinda kill 2 birds with the one stone.

Going back to my comment regarding sprinting with bad technique, I've seen time and time again, you work on technique and at low effort their stroke improves. When they swim fast, that technique goes out the window, stroke rate increases and they fatigue fast, when if they just focused on the stroke and pulled more water. That's the reason I try to get their technique drilled into their heads.

Hope it goes well for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

great stuff hope it goes well !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Anybody know if this is going ahead again?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

If it is I strongly suggest it should be changed from Friday night to either Monday or Wednesday evening. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

I went to it last year (until I got really bad flu) & Friday suited me perfectly. Mon-Thursday didn't suit as I had various other training sessions going on.

Hey

Yeah, the plan is to kick this off again in October for 10 weeks before Christmas.
    The plan - as per last year - keep numbers minimal, 5 lanes of 5 swimmers. This worked very well for those attending last year.

To be confirmed but first week should be
    Friday the 11th of October and will run for 10 weeks. €75 for 10 weeks. Session is from 7 to 8.
    The location: Belvedere college, Denmark Street, Dublin, Ireland

At this time of the year, the focus will be initially on stroke technique, trying to address the 'low hanging fruit' of issues and then build on swim based aerobic endurance over the course of the 10 weeks.

Two requirements (the first being a must):
    1. Be a TI member.
    2. Be able to swim 4*100m on 2.10 - 2.15

All welcome - on a first come, first served basis.
    Ill be at Belevedre that night from around 6.20pm that Friday evening taking names and cash.

more details here including sessions from last year.

• Advertisement

If it is I strongly suggest it should be changed from Friday night to either Monday or Wednesday evening. :pac:

Believe me, would love to alter the night but cannot get the pool time in a city centre pool on those nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭NorthernRaider

Hmmmm, excuse my language, but that is a c**t of a time! Is there any prospect of another day, even if more expensive? Or, earlier on Friday for those heading home at weekends?

I've heard so much about that 'luxuriant' furry coat, I really feel a need to see it!

Believe me, would love to alter the night but cannot get the pool time in a city centre pool on those nights.

Well if you want to go to a pool more convenient for me on a Monday or Wednesday I would not complain :D

Hey Folk

a fyi - we're bringing this forward a week ... Oct 4th .. so a week from this evening. All welcome. Still at the same price - we'll probably run for 11 weeks but will see as we go since that pool closed early for Christmas last year.

Hey

Yeah, the plan is to kick this off again in October for 10 weeks before Christmas.
    The plan - as per last year - keep numbers minimal, 5 lanes of 5 swimmers. This worked very well for those attending last year.

To be confirmed but first week should be
    Friday the 11th of October and will run for 10 weeks. €75 for 10 weeks. Session is from 7 to 8.
    The location: Belvedere college, Denmark Street, Dublin, Ireland

At this time of the year, the focus will be initially on stroke technique, trying to address the 'low hanging fruit' of issues and then build on swim based aerobic endurance over the course of the 10 weeks.

Two requirements (the first being a must):
    1. Be a TI member.
    2. Be able to swim 4*100m on 2.10 - 2.15

All welcome - on a first come, first served basis.
    Ill be at Belevedre that night from around 6.20pm that Friday evening taking names and cash.

more details here including sessions from last year.

I assume starting time for these is 7pm?

I assume starting time for these is 7pm?

Yep - the idea is to have people in the water at 7.
    On the first night, its as well to get introductions out of the way asap and get people into the pool to get things started.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Any spaces left for this? My club have cancelled their early morning swim and can't make the others so this would suit.

joey100 wrote: »
    Any spaces left for this? My club have cancelled their early morning swim and can't make the others so this would suit.

There are spaces ... actually all the spaces - the way we've done this is that people sign up on the night. Ill be there from 6.20 or so onwards this coming Friday - everyone will be in the water at 7pm.

Hey Folks

For anyone interested, this coming Friday 10th the plan is to kick off another block of swim sessions for 11 weeks up to March 28th (excl Fri March 7). The cost of this block is €77.

Session runs from 7pm til 8 and is at the Belvedere pool (Denmark street, Dublin).

Ill be there from 6.30pm .... TI membership a must folks.

I just checked the TI calendar and the Portlaois pool tri is on Sat 5th of March ... 12 weeks away .. :eek:

Over 11 weeks, 11 hours ;) ... some initial weeks will be spent tackling peoples strokes - one or two key things that will continue to limit progression if not addressed and regularly adhered to during training and racing ('low hanging fruit') and then the remainder of the the sessions will be focused on increasing aerobic endurance in the pool and proper pacing associated with your target distance.

All questions welcome (related to this before the obligatory 'whats your favourite flavour crisps ;)) HNY.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Anyone here do the 10 weeks before christmas wish to comment on them?
    Maybe one positive one negative element?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Green&Red wrote: »
    Anyone here do the 10 weeks before christmas wish to comment on them?
    Maybe one positive one negative element?

Other than it being a Friday night when I good be having after work beers I've nothing negative to say about the sessions. I drive in from Blanch direction and it takes me about 20mins to get there so I can't even criticise location. Although if I had to criticise one thing it would be that he's mixed up March and April in relation to the Portlaois race...

On a positive note I think I get the most feedback in the group with my swimming regularly held up as an example (of what not to do :) ). Interested is good coach, he explains things well and he runs the sessions really well making sure everyone is pushing themselves. I will be back Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Other than it being a Friday night when I good be having after work beers I've nothing negative to say about the sessions. I drive in from Blanch direction and it takes me about 20mins to get there so I can't even criticise location. Although if I had to criticise one thing it would be that he's mixed up March and April in relation to the Portlaois race...

On a positive note I think I get the most feedback in the group with my swimming regularly held up as an example (of what not to do :) ). Interested is good coach, he explains things well and he runs the sessions really well making sure everyone is pushing themselves. I will be back Friday.

He's fond of picking out one or two people for some abuse alright!!

I done the ten weeks up to christmas and even though I missed a few weeks I found it very good. Seen a drop in my 400m and 100m TT times and felt I came on a lot in the water. Only downside would have been that for a few weeks there was no pool side clock but this was sorted and the suffering resumed.
    On a positive note I think I get the most feedback in the group with my swimming regularly held up as an example (of what not to do ).

To be fair you did come out wearing probably the loudest pair of goggles I've ever seen, was always going to be hard to blend into the crowd with them on!

Hey Folk

a fyi - we're bringing this forward a week ... Oct 4th .. so a week from this evening. All welcome. Still at the same price - we'll probably run for 11 weeks but will see as we go since that pool closed early for Christmas last year.

Hey Folks, resurrecting this old thread - the plan is to run this again over the course of the winter
    Details are within the thread but in summary:

When: Fri nights, 10 weeks til Christmas and 10 weeks in new year, 7-8pm Belvedere College pool, Denmark Street, Dublin 1 (I think ;))

For who:
    • Anyone with a current TI membership card welcome
    • Based on last year, a split between beginners, intermediates and advanced will be catered for across the 5 lanes.
    • Initial weeks will be about stroke work for some or all that might need it, followed by building some volume over the course of the 10 weeks.

Any questions ? feel free to ping me a pm here.

Thanks
    Mark

What date you looking at starting these Mark?

joey100 wrote: »
    What date you looking at starting these Mark?

Apologies, provisional start date will be Fri October 3rd champ.
    Cost - €70 for 10 weeks

.... other benefits may include sharing a pool with guests such as BTH (bring shades) and Zico10 but to be confirmed.

Apologies, provisional start date will be Fri October 3rd champ.
    Cost - €70 for 10 weeks

.... other benefits may include sharing a pool with guests such as BTH (bring shades) and Zico10 but to be confirmed.

You're not selling it to me with this... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

You wouldn't be saying that If he had posted a picture of me in my budgie smugglers.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Then you tell us what (or rather "who") it would take to sell it to you? ;):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

When is the earliest one can buy a 2015 TI card?

Advertisement