Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Front wishbone bushes & Leeking Steering Rack - How much?

Options
  • 17-10-2012 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Apparently I need to replace my two front wishbone bushes (they're beginning to tear) and my steering rack is leaking slightly and requires monitoring.

I guess I have two questions...is repairing these two issues absolutely essential (i.e. what is a likely outcome if I don't fix) and how much is it going to cost if I need to fix?

Also - if anyone could recommend a good (hopefully non-main dealer) place to get this sorted?

I have a '06 Volvo S40.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Wishbones/bushes won't be very expensive. Check a few local garages for quotes and go with whoever seems best.

Steering rack on the other hand is an expensive item. Ask at the above garages.
    Maybe you can get a discount if you do both jobs at the same place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

ferg01 wrote: »
    Apparently I need to replace my two front wishbone bushes (they're beginning to tear) and my steering rack is leaking slightly and requires monitoring.

I guess I have two questions...is repairing these two issues absolutely essential (i.e. what is a likely outcome if I don't fix) and how much is it going to cost if I need to fix?

Also - if anyone could recommend a good (hopefully non-main dealer) place to get this sorted?

I have a '06 Volvo S40.

Thanks in advance

Is repairing your suspension and steering essential??

What's your location? Costs really depend on what suspension bushes need changing and what exactly is wrong with the steering.

The volvo/ford steering is very prone to leaks around the power steering pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 tkelly121

I have an S40 & recently failed the Nct because the steering pinion rack was leaking,emissions out side slip of line & emissions too high.I tried to clean off the steering rack & put it through the Nct again but it still failed & I ended up having to replace the steering,can't recall how much but it was but it was expensive, the dealer did give me some discount.If you want I will find my invoice.
    I had to replace the two front suspension arms because the bushells where worn & was effecting the side slip.The emissions where too high because of an exhaust valve sticking.Eventually I got it through the Nct after fixing all the above.If I was you I would talk to your dealer to see if they will help with the overall cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭ferg01

Thanks for the info tkelly - if it's not too much hassle could you try and find out the total cost and where you got the work done?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 18 tkelly121

Hi,
    No problem, I'm working in the Uk for a few days, I will dig out the paperwork when I get home on Wednesday & drop you a line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

I have sold a few reconditioned steering racks for that Volvo. Think a reconditioned one is around 500 plus vat. Then add labour on top of that.

Advertisement