Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Box Squats

Options
  • 17-10-2012 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭

Box Squats
    I was gonna just search previous threads about this but said id mill ahead and just ask.
    Been squatting on/off last couple years. Always feel though that I dont get deep enough into squat for it to be genuinely beneficial to me. Always gret deeper it feels the heavier weights get. I just out a bench behind me out of frustration with depth two days ago and sat onto it with the bar, then drove back up. Now it felt great sitting all the way back down and felt like i really worked my hips for once. My question is are box squats beneficial? now im not a bodybuilder/ strengths sports guy. Im a gaa player if that makes any difference to the benefits?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I haven't done any box squats myself before, however, I understand that they can be useful tool if they form part of a good, structured programme. I would expect that their usefulness is limited to those who have gone beyond the stage of progressing from solely linear progression.

However, it sounds to me you are using box squats as a crutch for poor form/mobility. I would look at that first rather than using box squats as a bandage.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭BlueIsland

Sangre wrote: »
    I haven't done any box squats myself before, however, I understand that they can be useful tool if they form part of a good, structured programme. I would expect that their usefulness is limited to those who have gone beyond the stage of progressing from solely linear progression.

However, it sounds to me you are using box squats as a crutch for poor form/mobility. I would look at that first rather than using box squats as a bandage.

I am pretty sure it is a mobility issue. And im working on that as best i can. I found the box squats helped as at end of 5x5 box squats I got right down into a full squat. Most likely a tightness issue. Just wondering are there any pitfalls with them as a mehtod say to build power?

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Hailhail1967

Certainly box squats can be beneficial but i would be concentrating on your mobility if that is the problem, they should be used as an additional tool more so than a tool to correct/help with poor form. I have seen people use box squats all wrong so thats why I would be skeptical.

Has anyone looked at your squat for you, what do you believe is your mobility problem and what are you doing to fix that? I think that would be more important for you to look at.

Certainly box squats can be beneficial but i would be concentrating on your mobility if that is the problem, they should be used as an additional tool more so than a tool to correct/help with poor form. I have seen people use box squats all wrong so thats why I would be skeptical.

Has anyone looked at your squat for you, what do you believe is your mobility problem and what are you doing to fix that? I think that would be more important for you to look at.

stretching and foam rolling every day to improve mobility. any other tips be great

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Hailhail1967

Stretching is always good anyway, just make sure you are concentrating on what you need to work on and improve. Ankles, hips and hamstrings or a mixture of all three are usually the problem with mobility in the squat. Check out mobilitywod.com they should cover plenty on what your after.

• Advertisement

Stretching is always good anyway, just make sure you are concentrating on what you need to work on and improve. Ankles, hips and hamstrings or a mixture of all three are usually the problem with mobility in the squat. Check out mobilitywod.com they should cover plenty on what your after.

ankles and hips im pretty sure the prob.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

If you can't squat properly, I'd almost put my car on you not box squatting properly either. And, considering the potential to **** yourself up is even greater on box squats, well... I guess you can figure out my opinion from there.

If you elevate your heels under a plate, can you squat perfectly?! (deep with chest up)

Hanley wrote: »
    If you can't squat properly, I'd almost put my car on you not box squatting properly either. And, considering the potential to **** yourself up is even greater on box squats, well... I guess you can figure out my opinion from there.

If you elevate your heels under a plate, can you squat perfectly?! (deep with chest up)

Pretty much yeh....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

BlueIsland wrote: »
    Pretty much yeh....

Your ankle assessment is most likely right so...

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 PTC Frankston

What shoes do you wear when you squat?

Advertisement