Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I get a kitten in November?

• 17-10-2012 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hi I want to get a kitten in November but a vet told me you can only get them now or in March. Is this true?

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Hi I want to get a kitten in November but a vet told me you can only get them now or in March. Is this true?

Thanks,

Give your local animal shelter a call. Im sure they will have lots of kittens for you to choose from. Dont be put off by older cats either, they settle in just as well as kittens do, just as cute and playful and you have the bonus of knowing their personality!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Thanks,

That's absurd. You can get a pet any time of year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Id be changing vets if i were you.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

From what I have read and been told by cat people, there is a sort of kitten season but this refers only to feral cats. Ferals normally have kittens from March/April through to around November. Its not an exact science though, kittens just seem to be in abundance more so in those months than in the winter.

However rescues will have kittens in all year round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭Papillon!

The amount of cats and kittens in the DSPCA only dying for a home and your vet gave you that advice.

What a disgrace. He should be encouraging people to adopt.

I got my cat from the ISPCA and you couldnt ask for a more loving pet :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭butlerjustine

I thought it was strange alright as so many people get pets at Christmas. I can see how it would be true for all wild animals as it would be hard to keep all the young well in the winter months.

I want to get a rescue cat for the obvious reasons, I got one there before and he was a bit wild but that could have been his personality.

I would love to get it now but I'm away for 2 weeks in November and would prefer not to leave my partner taking care of him as he works late and its not fair leaving it at home so young.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

There's a cat who's visiting my yard every now and then and had kittens in mid-September, so I think they will ready for a new home in November or December, and she lives outdoor and had her kittens in a cold place, don't know where, I only see she's still milk-feeding them.
    So, as you can read, your vets were wrong ;)

And according your vets' rule, you couldn't get kittens in March either, because the first litters come in March to April, so the kittens could be adopted only in late June.

I agree with andreac :)

Thats great thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

The mating season for cats peaks in March and April, so the majority of kittens are born in April, May and June. (That's clever mother nature, making sure the kittens have the best chance of survival, being born in the warmer months.)

Cats will often go one to have a second litter in late summer or early autumn. So there will still be kittens looking for homes in October or November, but there won't be as many. You won't necessarily get your pick of colours, and maybe the kittens will be that little bit older - the ones that didn't find homes as little kittens because they're not fancy long-hairs, or because they're plain black, or black and white - they are the last to be rehomed.

It's pretty rare to see young kittens (8-10 weeks) for rehoming in the winter months but it's not unheard of, especially with the winters getting milder.

Then the kitten explosion starts over again in the spring.

It's actually really, really sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Sarsippius

I would always recomend getting a pet from a pet shelter. I have got 2 from the dspca in rathfarnham who are very helpful.

If you do get a kitten don't forget to get it neutered after 4 months.

Also if you have a leather couch get a few covers as ours was destroyed within a few days :D

• Advertisement

Thanks any particular covers that are best?

Advertisement