Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours dog howling

• 17-10-2012 11:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

A neighbours dog (haven't figured out which exact house yet) has a dog that howls all day long. Like a wolf howling at the moon. :eek:
    While the howling is annoying, I'm more concerned that the dog is unhappy or lonely or something! He spends the whole day howling.
    Is this an unhappy dog?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DOGS VOICE

unfortunately yes, he's bored, they should make him tired with exercise and mental challenges and then he will rest pacifically with no howling.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭nemo32

I hope you don't live near me op and its my little fella that is causing the problem. But unfortunately my neighbours are prob thinking the same thing. My dog is exercised until he nearly falls down, he is given toys, water, food and shelter but still crys and barks when we are not there. Trying everything to make him stop but all advise is welcome!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

nemo32 wrote: »
    I hope you don't live near me op and its my little fella that is causing the problem. But unfortunately my neighbours are prob thinking the same thing. My dog is exercised until he nearly falls down, he is given toys, water, food and shelter but still crys and barks when we are not there. Trying everything to make him stop but all advise is welcome!

leave him inside the house?

My dog is always in the kitchen when were not at home....

for two reasons really:

1. he's happy realxing in his bed, he is very well exercised also.

2. id be afraid he would get robbed / taken or something may happen to him (poisoning etc)

so while were out we know he is safe and most importantly happy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

DOGS VOICE wrote: »
    unfortunately yes, he's bored, they should make him tired with exercise and mental challenges and then he will rest pacifically with no howling.

Was speaking to someone last night and she said this as well. What kind of thing do you mean? She said it is a very good way of entertaining/tiring out the dog.

cocker5 wrote: »

leave him inside the house?

My dog is always in the kitchen when were not at home....

for two reasons really:

1. he's happy realxing in his bed, he is very well exercised also.

2. id be afraid he would get robbed / taken or something may happen to him (poisoning etc)

so while were out we know he is safe and most importantly happy :D

It would be great if we could do the same but because he is still a pup and still in training ie toilet and chewing i don't think it would be fair to set him up to fail.
    He would be fine in this crate but again it wouldn't be fair to leave him in his crate for up to 4-5 hours a day when he sleeps there all night.
    Other problem is if i am in the house he will bark if we are not in the same room as him the whole time never mind him being outside wit us inside :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭emmbaasee

Google bark collar !
    Stick it on him and that will be the end of it.

Simple :)

gimmick wrote: »

Was speaking to someone last night and she said this as well. What kind of thing do you mean? She said it is a very good way of entertaining/tiring out the dog.

Alot of the Kong toys are mentally challenging, food only drop out after they have pushed is around wit there paws or head. Hiding food around the hours is another one, or wrapping it in material or paper so they have to play wit it until it comes out

emmbaasee wrote: »

Google bark collar !
    Stick it on him and that will be the end of it.

Simple :)

That was goin to be our last resort. Do you use one of these? My concern is, wat if he needs to bark, to warn me or to ward off intruders, will he do this if he has this collar on? I am thinking no but i could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Oscars Mum

A dog will NOT bark with the collar on regardless of situation (intruder etc).. If they bark, they get sprayed with citronella which they hate! Can i suggest you get a water bottle that you would use to spray flowers and when the dog barks, spray with this. You mention he barks when you're not around him, can I suggest you leave the radio on. For the chewing pup, have you tried putting some of his food into a squashed coke bottle and he can chew on this or put some peanut butter inside the kong toy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

It would be great if we could do the same but because he is still a pup
    How old is he? & long is he left alone outside? ...this maybe your problem.

• Advertisement

hi Nemo!!
    I have some advise, it's not too hard, you only need patience for help him to relax.

exercise him before you have to leave your house, walking him for at least a half of hour.
    it's really suggested a structured walk, not only a stroll but a disciplined walk when he has to work for you and use his mind for following your rules. also playing some game is very helpful but you strictly have to make him follow your game rules.
    when you come back home, do not speak or look at him, just ignore him.
    do not be sad or anxious about leaving him alone, that's the future and you have to think about the moment as he does.
    do not think about his bad behavior, think about getting ready for your things to do, do not focus on the dog but about you.
    if he follows you while you are organizing yourself, turn the finger seriously toward him and say NO until he relaxes.
    you can send him on his bed or where he's already lying down but everytime he jumps on his feet and wants to follow you, you have to bring him back where you said him he has to stay. everytime and with patience, as in a monotone job, no feelings, no stress, no worries.
    he has to relax completely, like when he sleeps.
    you have to be strict, it's for his sake.
    when you are on the door, the same. do not look at him, if he's there and excited, make him sit and wait WITH NO WORDS AT ALL until he relaxes completely, on his bed or in another place he likes to sleep.
    it's not his time for walking, it's his time for being a good dog, that's a little job he has to do for his owner.
    if you close the door and he starts barking, come back and say NO, until he relaxes.
    first times you will spend a long time on the threshold but you'll do better and better every time.
    do not get angry, do not give him a toy before you go, do not give him treats, he only has to relax.

this is for an indoor dog. if you have an outdoor dog, walk him and then you bring him in the garden. he has to relax before you leave and when you close the door. it's like the monotone job during your preparation and on the threshold.

when you come back home, do not agree with his barking. do not open the door if he's barking or, if you can't wait, open but say NO and make him stop the barking.
    also if he's not barking but he's very excited and he only wants to jump on you, open the door but ignore him!
    then you're in, do not look/speak at him, just wait and do your things. if he's very excited and moving all around, ignore him, he has to be a good boy before giving him affection.
    take your coat off, make you comfy and when he's relaxed, say hello and then and only then you can talk, hug, kiss, jump on him, but only when he's really relaxed about your previous coming back home.

hope it helps you, a more relaxed dog is an happier dog!
    happy wags :-)
    Simo

http://dogsvoice.wordpress.com/2012/01/29/separation-anxiety-are-you-sure/

Oscars Mum wrote: »
    A dog will NOT bark with the collar on regardless of situation (intruder etc).. If they bark, they get sprayed with citronella which they hate! Can i suggest you get a water bottle that you would use to spray flowers and when the dog barks, spray with this. You mention he barks when you're not around him, can I suggest you leave the radio on. For the chewing pup, have you tried putting some of his food into a squashed coke bottle and he can chew on this or put some peanut butter inside the kong toy.

Yeah that's wat i thought, really don't want that. The water bottle idea sounds pretty cruel if i am honest. Tks for the chewing tips. He is great at the moment and does use his toys to chew and not furniture at the moment but if i leave him alone too long i would be concerned he might get bored of the toys and move onto something more non chewable lets say if we were not there to stop him :-)

Zulu wrote: »
    How old is he? & long is he left alone outside? ...this maybe your problem.

4 mths old, 4-5 hours at the most but most of the time its just while i have a shower or run to the shops.

DOGS VOICE wrote: »
    hi Nemo!!
    I have some advise, it's not too hard, you only need patience for help him to relax.

exercise him before you have to leave your house, walking him for at least a half of hour.
    it's really suggested a structured walk, not only a stroll but a disciplined walk when he has to work for you and use his mind for following your rules. also playing some game is very helpful but you strictly have to make him follow your game rules.
    when you come back home, do not speak or look at him, just ignore him.
    do not be sad or anxious about leaving him alone, that's the future and you have to think about the moment as he does.
    do not think about his bad behavior, think about getting ready for your things to do, do not focus on the dog but about you.
    if he follows you while you are organizing yourself, turn the finger seriously toward him and say NO until he relaxes.
    you can send him on his bed or where he's already lying down but everytime he jumps on his feet and wants to follow you, you have to bring him back where you said him he has to stay. everytime and with patience, as in a monotone job, no feelings, no stress, no worries.
    he has to relax completely, like when he sleeps.
    you have to be strict, it's for his sake.
    when you are on the door, the same. do not look at him, if he's there and excited, make him sit and wait WITH NO WORDS AT ALL until he relaxes completely, on his bed or in another place he likes to sleep.
    it's not his time for walking, it's his time for being a good dog, that's a little job he has to do for his owner.
    if you close the door and he starts barking, come back and say NO, until he relaxes.
    first times you will spend a long time on the threshold but you'll do better and better every time.
    do not get angry, do not give him a toy before you go, do not give him treats, he only has to relax.

this is for an indoor dog. if you have an outdoor dog, walk him and then you bring him in the garden. he has to relax before you leave and when you close the door. it's like the monotone job during your preparation and on the threshold.

when you come back home, do not agree with his barking. do not open the door if he's barking or, if you can't wait, open but say NO and make him stop the barking.
    also if he's not barking but he's very excited and he only wants to jump on you, open the door but ignore him!
    then you're in, do not look/speak at him, just wait and do your things. if he's very excited and moving all around, ignore him, he has to be a good boy before giving him affection.
    take your coat off, make you comfy and when he's relaxed, say hello and then and only then you can talk, hug, kiss, jump on him, but only when he's really relaxed about your previous coming back home.

hope it helps you, a more relaxed dog is an happier dog!
    happy wags :-)
    Simo

http://dogsvoice.wordpress.com/2012/01/29/separation-anxiety-are-you-sure/

Tks dogsvoice. We have been trying most of the above but maybe we need more free time to practice it and be more patient wit him (not that we get angry with him but give up too easily after an hour of barking) :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭emmbaasee

That was goin to be our last resort. Do you use one of these? My concern is, wat if he needs to bark, to warn me or to ward off intruders, will he do this if he has this collar on? I am thinking no but i could be wrong
    Yes i've used one on a couple of occasions and have found them great. I would still say plenty of exercise is vital. This is a DOG, not a human and this needs to be kept in mind when dealing with him. It can be taken off him once he learns the barking is not on.If he slips back to his old way's, you can put it back on him..
    There a great invention, get one and the problem will be solved in a matter of days !
    Simple:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

I have one for my dog that automatically switches off if the dog barks three times in succession, so if he does bark at something in a panic there is no fear he will be I'm discomfort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Can I ask that when you do figure out who's dog it is that you go have a chat as they may be unaware. I constantly check with my neighbours if my Jack Russell (for one so small he makes a lot of noise) in particular is making too much noise when we are at work. They always say no, but they could be being nice. It's one of my big worries that someone would come on here and complain or go to the council/resident association without first talking to us.

are you in dublin or around?
    we can practice together!! :)

Advertisement