Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

old milk can/churn

Options
  • 17-10-2012 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

i've been given an old milk can/churn (think thats what they're called!) i have spray painted it and want to make a feature of it in the garden. it looks quite nice actually

i would like to put some nice plant/flowers in it. any ideas? i'm not sure. its so tall, so i think if i put in a tall plant, it mightn't look right

has anyone done something like this?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Yes, I put a rose into one which was just over a foot in height, but it didnt do so well after a few years. The next thing i intend to try is an angel's fishing rod that I have grown from seed. It will be fine for a few years as it isnt a quick huge clump former and the climate here isnt great for them either, as I've had a few die, so i want to be able to move it around to a sheltered spot in winter.

http://www.google.ie/search?q=angel's+fishing+rod&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=F4l-UPudBYbKhAeh7IDQBg&sqi=2&ved=0CCAQsAQ&biw=1141&bih=725

I didnt spray the can but left it as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Our churn has a pot that is filled with trailing plants, like a hanging basket. Brick in the bottom to keep it upright, can't use water cos it leaks. Pot fits the rim and can be removed and replaced with a winter display thats already prepared.
    Actually the pot is an old plastic bucket with holes drilled, never bothered looking for an actual flower pot.
    Watering is verry important as the soil in the pot part will get warm once sun hits the churn, if we ever get any sun again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

tommy2bad wrote: »
    Our churn has a pot that is filled with trailing plants, like a hanging basket. Brick in the bottom to keep it upright, can't use water cos it leaks. Pot fits the rim and can be removed and replaced with a winter display thats already prepared.
    Actually the pot is an old plastic bucket with holes drilled, never bothered looking for an actual flower pot.
    Watering is verry important as the soil in the pot part will get warm once sun hits the churn, if we ever get any sun again.

Sounds the business , Would not be a good idea to plant something in them full size as the get narrower at the top , better do as above and you can change the pot as the seasons and the flowers change ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭countrywoman

thanks for the suggestions everyone!!
    the idea about fitting a pot into the churn is fantastic. i bought an 8cm flower pot and it fits in perfect. it is now planted up with spring bulbs!.....am chuffed

thanks so much

Advertisement