Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky Broadband.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭cork_south

Bingo, right on 7PM speed has dropped. :(
    2617913162.png

• Registered Users Posts: 13 NEWGUY2013

Hi all just tested my speed was going great up to about 17:30 getting 16 mb now back down to under 2 Mb i all so called eircom as sky told me they may be doing work in my area eircom said they were doing no work there.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Im on 14mb and getting slowed to 3.5mb in the evenings. I hate to say it but when I was with Eircom this never ever happened.

Locked into a contract now :(

☀️ 7.8kWp ⚡3.6kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

NEWGUY2013 wrote: »
    Hi all just tested my speed was going great up to about 17:30 getting 16 mb now back down to under 2 Mb i all so called eircom as sky told me they may be doing work in my area eircom said they were doing no work there.

Thanks

Thx for the update, talk about Sky taking ownership of the problem!

What number did you ring to contact them.
    I just used 0818 719819 and was on hold for 20 minutes so hung up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 kash11

They will give you the UAN number ... They have advised us there is nothing they can do about the dip in evening speeds.. Not good enough at all

called sky on 0818 719 819 they are doing a line test again and calling me back on my mob still waiting was on hold for 16 min.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

Yep, I was getting 9 down today, dropped to 3 now .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭FaganJr

Is normally around 10 but this yesterday & this evening 2 at a push!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭ClonNGB

The pattern seems to be for me 14.9 Mb by day and 1 Mb once the sun goes down. Vampire broadband! Not much use if you have to wait 10 hours to stream a movie. For the firt 10 days they tell you it is normal because of the line settling in, then a couple of more fluffy weeks and you are locked in after the colling off period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Joe Hart

There is a clear pattern of lying about lines setting in which I've never heard with any other companies and "eircom" doing works. Mine has been down all day and now their tech support is closed. Why did I ever leave my old company...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

ClonNGB wrote: »
    The pattern seems to be for me 14.9 Mb by day and 1 Mb once the sun goes down. Vampire broadband! Not much use if you have to wait 10 hours to stream a movie. For the firt 10 days they tell you it is normal because of the line settling in, then a couple of more fluffy weeks and you are locked in after the colling off period.

I don't understand this "settling in period" when I got broadband previously with Eircom, Smart etc the speed I got day 1 is the same speed I get now, it didn't take weeks. I think Sky are telling people this so that by the time the line "settles" the cooling off period is expired. I was going to sign up with them but theres no point if im going to be getting crap speeds every evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭stevekavo

Has anyone in D15 got this and have they had any issues?

Getting less than 1MB download for the 5th evening in a row.
    Cancelling tomorrow and will go back to Eircom.
    Sky have been a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

cork_south wrote: »
    Getting less than 1MB download for the 5th evening in a row.
    Cancelling tomorrow and will go back to Eircom.
    Sky have been a nightmare.

Ditto, my hopes went up when I saw the good speeds this morning, but now.....

2618379941.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Very curious though that ay times speeds are quite good and then suddenly abysmal. Are they using old technology in the exchange ? Even 5 years ago i was getting better speeds from eircom. It looks to me like itunes / apple tv is unusable now, while netflix is fine. Is there some throttling on the itunes traffic by sky. ? I will leave them another few days before i cancel. Getting regular calls from eircom to go back to them. Their free three month package will cover the costs of the sky disaster. I expected a lot better from sky and BT.

I have a friend in Cork who had similar problems while with Perlico.
    Broadband was up & down but down most times. Perlico tried everything to get it sorted.
    In the end in sheer frustration she went back to Eircom & all the problems disappeared by magic.
    Makes you wonder :)

I was with three different companies over the last seven years & I never got the speed I am getting from Sky now.
    Nothing changed except the modem/router. Same exchange, same wiring.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2618440559.png

Current down from 14.9 to 3.3Mb

Hi all was on to sky this evening and now they are esculating my problem to the next level they told me it will take 72 hours for them to get back to me. But then i decided i will cancel and i was told that its a 7 day cooling off not 30 day. I join sky on the 4 march so looks like i am stuck with them wish i never move to them.

Hi newguy, i was told on twitter by ian on @SkyHelpTeam that it is 31 days and on the phone the support guy David confirmed it. Send a tweet to Ian on the skyhelpteam and see what he says. It looks like i will be pulling the plug on them tomorrow so i will let you know how it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

14mb in morning, then was down to 3.5mb at 6pm, then down to 1.2mb at 9pm, what a joke sky broadband has turned out to be.

☀️ 7.8kWp ⚡3.6kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Advertisement

Hi newguy, i was told on twitter by ian on @SkyHelpTeam that it is 31 days and on the phone the support guy David confirmed it. Send a tweet to Ian on the skyhelpteam and see what he says. It looks like i will be pulling the plug on them tomorrow so i will let you know how it goes.

Do you have it in writing anywhere?
    I want to cancel today, 5 nights of unusable broadband is not on.
    At least with Eircom the connection never went like this.

:mad:

http://www.sky.com/ireland/__PDF/Broadband_and_Talk_subscription_contract.pdf

If you have ordered services directly from us either by telephone or online, you have the following rights:
    a) you may cancel your order for Sky Talk and any ancillary services (e.g. voicemail or a telephone handset rental service) at any time up to the earlier of the date your Sky Talk service is activated (which shall be the installation, transferring or activation of your telephone line) or 8 working days from placing your order with us; and/ or

b) you may cancel your order for Sky Broadband and any ancillary services at any time up to the earlier of the date your Sky Broadband service is activated (which shall be the installation, transferring or activation of your telephone line) and 8 working days from the date you receive your Sky router from us.

c) If you do cancel your order for Sky Talk and/or Sky Broadband, we will do our best to stop the order before activation, but in case we cannot you will be able to cancel the service with us or transfer back to your previous provider without penalty. If you cancel and we cannot stop the order before your Sky Talk becomes active you will be responsible for the cost of any calls you make before you leave Sky.
    d) You may also You may also cancel your order if we’re unable to complete it through no fault of yourself.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I was just about to ring sky to change over but thankfully I decided to check this page just incase, and im really glad I did now, not a hope of me switching over to sky with all these bad reports, Eircom they are a bloody rip off but at least their service is stable and always works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

Gonzo wrote: »
    I was just about to ring sky to change over but thankfully I decided to check this page just incase, and im really glad I did now, not a hope of me switching over to sky with all these bad reports, Eircom they are a bloody rip off but at least their service is stable and always works.

I'm with Sky and my service is probably more stable than it was with Eircom. My only beef is that I was offered faster speeds than I got with Eircom but I'm still getting 12mb, as I did with Eircom - the reason for this in my noise margin is too high and faster speeds would lead to disconnects.

Other than that, I'm saving loads of money by switching and I can access the Pirate Bay to boot!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I'm with Sky and my service is probably more stable than it was with Eircom. My only beef is that I was offered faster speeds than I got with Eircom but I'm still getting 12mb, as I did with Eircom - the reason for this in my noise margin is too high and faster speeds would lead to disconnects.

Other than that, I'm saving loads of money by switching and I can access the Pirate Bay to boot!

yeah it seems like a no brainer to switch to sky, delighted your service is working well but there is a whole pile of bad reports from all over the country over the past pages, for me thats just too much of a risk. Im gonna wait a while and see do reports settle down before ordering.

Hi Guys just got a tweet from sky the cooling off period is 8 days not 30 days for the broadband.There is no cooling off period for the sky talk services so im stuck with them now i can only hope its gets better.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Hi Guys just got a tweet from sky the cooling off period is 8 days not 30 days for the broadband.There is no cooling off period for the sky talk services so im stuck with them now i can only hope its gets better.

Thanks

I said this in another thread but surely if they cannot provide a proper broadband service then they are in breach of contract and the contract can be terminated?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

Can anyone tell me if you sign up for broadband does that mean your tv service is tied into a 12 month contract as well?

:mad:

Was working find until 8 o clock.
    2620583587.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Mine is crap also,very inconsistent.Has been max 2MB past few days.I rang them a couple of weeks ago to complain,guy "escalated" it up to the next team.Then got a phone call 2 days later from an Eircom guy(whyever he was doing Skys job??) who was working on the exchange,said he couldn't see any probs but tweaked a few things..........zero improvement.I was promised "up to 20mb",most I ever got was 16mb for a brief moment,normally below 6mb.At least with eircom it was a stable 7-8mb.Doubt I'll be renewing with Sky...still,for the price,what did I expect!!

toby2111 wrote: »
    Mine is crap also,very inconsistent.Has been max 2MB past few days.I rang them a couple of weeks ago to complain,guy "escalated" it up to the next team.Then got a phone call 2 days later from an Eircom guy(whyever he was doing Skys job??) who was working on the exchange,said he couldn't see any probs but tweaked a few things..........zero improvement.I was promised "up to 20mb",most I ever got was 16mb for a brief moment,normally below 6mb.At least with eircom it was a stable 7-8mb.Doubt I'll be renewing with Sky...still,for the price,what did I expect!!

I'm paying 40 quid a month, surely for that much you can at least expect a stable connection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

I got the pre-launch deal of €17.50,still not worth it.I'll be forced to going back to Eircom now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭keith_d99

After a dodgy start (great all day then slow in the evening), mine has settled down nicely. Now have consistent speeds of 6mb (sky said 7mb) - Rural area. Was capped before with vodafone at under 3mb. With unlimited downloads and Netflix now in HD I'm happy with the service.
    I got in at the trial price so have it about 2 months.

For those who have slow speeds in the evenings, complain and follow up. Mine became consistent as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Joe Hart

I seem to be getting a solid 14-15 meg now after telling them to up the line closer to 20 rather than the 12 they set it at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

Gonzo wrote: »
    yeah it seems like a no brainer to switch to sky, delighted your service is working well but there is a whole pile of bad reports from all over the country over the past pages, for me thats just too much of a risk. Im gonna wait a while and see do reports settle down before ordering.

Now that I think about, I've never ran a Speedtest or downloaded anything in the evening, most of my downloading occurs early in the morning.

@ 22:05

2620835223.png

I only watch football streams during the afternoon on weekdays, during the evening on weekdays and usually they buffer with no problems.

I'll edit this post and post more Speedtests within the next 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Begrudger_limk

Anyone have any information on the prices sky are going to be charging existing customers to add broadband to the packages? Also if anyone in the Kildimo area of limerick has already got the broadband what are the speeds like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056783112
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056860171

Fairly mixed feelings about sky broadband maybe the not so happy slightly ahead.My own experience so far (19th Dec) results in I wish they never came to the Irish Market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I'm also having speed problems in the evening, switched from vodafone just over a month ago, and it wasnt brilliant with them either. i had about .85mb down last night and checked it at 8am this morning and it was close to 8mb (my line is rated for 9)

I'll be calling them when i get home, streaming video in the evenings is pointless at that speed.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

[MOD]
    I've just merged this two threads about Sky Broadband together, please keep non unique discussion about Sky Broadband on this thread, thanks.
    [MOD]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭ppshay

Anyone know for definite why they are charging two prices, €40 and €50, for the same service? Is it a LLU/Bitstream issue?

Hi all, has any of your speeds improved at all my speeds were dropping off around 20:30 to under 2 mb here's hoping its going to move on from there my speeds were falling off around 17:00 before that.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭FaganJr

Hi all, has any of your speeds improved at all my speeds were dropping off around 20:30 to under 2 mb here's hoping its going to move on from there my speeds were falling off around 17:00 before that.

Thanks

5.30 ----> 10Mbs

6.30 ----> 7.4Mbs

7.30 ----> 5.3 MBS

Only one consistency about those readings.... :-)

My speed has stayed up today, fingers crossed. (After speaking with an english one on the sky help desk).

2625406735.png

I noticed also that caller id doesn't seem to work on the sky line.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Skidfingers

What's Sky broadband like for gaming?

Is it good? any disconnecting? Recommend it?

Would it be better than Eircom?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭KuriousOranj

Same as Eircom as they use Eircom lines,unless you live in a LLU exchange area.

In my experience,not same as Eircom. Pings 30% slower and speed drops 90% in the evenings.

So great for gaming as long as you like getting beaten and only play during office hours.

I held off on calling them, but my speed goes down now around or after 9pm. I can tell straight away as netflix starts buffering.

My speed today is even lower now during the day ie. 15Mb down to <4Mb

2627343308.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

hi,

I just recently signed up for broadband with Sky and they told me I could expect 20Mb. The line I have is excellent. At the moment I am getting just a few meg and it has went way down to almost modem speeds. I can't really believe it. I answered all of their questions and checked everything in the apartment and they finally said they think its a server problem and they are not sure if it will be fixed (if ever).

Here is a chart showing my speeds lately, up and down all the time

http://www.speedtest.net/results.php?sh=4b143edb23ade63aaca1781ce382bc67&ria=0

Any ideas when ( or can ) they will fix it ?

I have now cancelled Sky and crawled back to Eircom. What a disappointment Sky has been. At least they forced Eircom to open up the 24Mb for residential customers. The Eircom chap said they is a huge amount of Sky customers returning once they realise 24Mb Sky = 1-3 Mb off peak. Also the fact that caller id didn't work with Sky.

• Advertisement

I really dont want to go to eircom,I hate them. i need the unlimited package but pushing the price up to 60 quid after 6 months is a joke. I dont think i can go back to vodafone, as their speeds in the evening werent much better and the connection would randomly reset.

Who else can give me dsl?

Advertisement