Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky Broadband.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

Similar situation as yourself pajo, rang sky today and asked for a note to be left on my account that I'm suffering very bad slowdown at peak times, YouTube unusable etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭pajodublin

BArra wrote: »
    Similar situation as yourself pajo, rang sky today and asked for a note to be left on my account that I'm suffering very bad slowdown at peak times, YouTube unusable etc

If you don't mind me asking. Where are you and what speed are you getting right now?

I'm in Summerhill, Co. Meath.
    Just did a speedtest and getting between 15 and 17mbps which is strange for this time of the evening.
    I have noticed that it is worse from 8 or 9pm onwards

What's just been mentioned to me on the phone is that my exchange has a contention ratio of 48:1 and that it is "Bitstream"
    Bitstream anyone?

I am in east cork, my line syncs at 19500, in the mornings with sky I get Speedtest results of around 15 to 17mb. In the evenings it can go to under 1mb, YouTube crawls at a snails pace, any kind of streaming unusable. When I was with eircom I never had these issues

BArra wrote: »
    I am in east cork, my line syncs at 19500, in the mornings with sky I get Speedtest results of around 15 to 17mb. In the evenings it can go to under 1mb, YouTube crawls at a snails pace, any kind of streaming unusable. When I was with eircom I never had these issues

same here when with Eircom. But strangely, Eircom told me the max my line could handle was 8mb, but with sky i get 17!!
    Think i would rather 8mb consistently than the 0.2 in the evenings an w/ends.

Just ran a speed test, 1.6mb down....ugh :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Danny Edwards

Mine is at 8 - 9 mb out of 11 mb. It's usually at 2 mb at this time of day.

2.9 right now
    Quite surpised tbh
    can actually post on here

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭rebellad

Just had a voicemail from the Fault Assurance team in Sky saying that there is an issue with contention on my line and that they are working on a fix that they hope to have in by Friday week. I had logged a call last week saying that my speed had dropped in the evenings over the last 3 weeks - wonder how this is going to work out!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Anyone in kerry using this? Just ordered it today without doing any research.... As you do sure :-D hope I don't get all these slow down dilemmas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Update on the SKY Help Forum today...

We are aware that some Sky Broadband customers have been experiencing a reduction in broadband speeds at certain times. We have now completed work to address these issues which will ensure that the service returns to normal. Once again, we’d like to apologise for any inconvenience this has caused. If customers would like to contact us for further information, they can do so by calling Customer Care: 0818 719 819 or by emailing MySky@bskyb.com.

Many Thanks

Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

peejay1986 wrote: »
    Update on the SKY Help Forum today...

Fingers crossed.

I wonder did Sky give Eircom a barrelfull over the contention issues at night. Would be nice if everyone on this thread who were affected by evening slowdowns would post up their speeds tonight. Have to say I noticed a big improvement last night myself. Here's hoping:).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭Lockster

Hi, I have to say that I didn't see any reduction in speeds last night. I've been getting around 6.5 during the day and it has been droping to 1.5 and under in the evenings and at weekends, but like I say last night it stayed at around 6. Hopefully it's been fixed permanently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,752 ✭✭✭degsie

So, it it safe to jump over to Sky? Maybe I'll wait for more confirmation that the speed slowdowns are really fixed....fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭FaganJr

I wouldn't say this is resolved at all yet

I get 10.5 during the day

It held up last night till 8pm, then dropped to 8, hour later 5 and @ 10pm 3.5.

Not acceptable in my book

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Hello all,

Yesterday I had a really good meeting with some of the Sky Ireland team and they're really keen to work with us in an effort to be more proactive in helping out customers on Boards. We haven't decided on how we'll approach it just yet though, so I'll keep you updated. In the meantime, they've asked me to post the following on their behalf:
    We are aware that some Sky Broadband customers have been experiencing a reduction in broadband speeds at certain times. We have now completed work to address these issues which will ensure that the service returns to normal. Once again, we’d like to apologise for any inconvenience this has caused. If customers would like to contact us for further information, they can do so by calling Customer Care: 0818 719 819 or by emailing MySky@bskyb.com.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Dav wrote: »
    Hello all,

Yesterday I had a really good meeting with some of the Sky Ireland team and they're really keen to work with us in an effort to be more proactive in helping out customers on Boards. We haven't decided on how we'll approach it just yet though, so I'll keep you updated. In the meantime, they've asked me to post the following on their behalf:

Dav, they absolutely infuriated their customers on their own board with the "customer service" that they provided. Tell the big wigs to read the posts about evening speeds on their own boards, shocking how they handled it and really angered so many of us.

Frankly if they handle things the same way on boards it wont go well.

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/ROI-Broadband-Talk/bd-p/ROIbroadbandtalk

☀️ 7.8kWp ⚡3.6kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

Dav, they absolutely infuriated their customers on their own board with the "customer service" that they provided. Tell the big wigs to read the posts about evening speeds on their own boards, shocking how they handled it and really angered so many of us.

Frankly if they handle things the same way on boards it wont go well.

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/ROI-Broadband-Talk/bd-p/ROIbroadbandtalk

+1. If what they told (or not told) their Irish customers on their own Support Forum is any indication of their attitude, then the top management should be approached to ensure there is not a repeat of that attitude on Boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

I'm using this to regularly test my speeds & barring a few (when I know there was some streaming going on) it's been fairly consistent
    I was told my line is capable of approx 6 - max test result is 6.32M

might be of use to anyone having problems that can't regularly test their speed
    I've changed the URL for the ping test to boards.ie - anything can be used

JD Auto Speedtester
    http://www.gmwsoftware.co.uk/
    [B][COLOR="Red"]FROM WEBSITE[/COLOR][/B]
    Does your Internet services provider supply you with the service speeds that were advertised? Does it do this 24 hours a day 7 days a week? (as you can see from the pic above mine does not (old pic from Vivaciti))
    With this free program you can perform regular internet speed tests in the background. It logs all your data and enables you to see at a glance what your speeds are doing over the course of the hour/day/week/month etc. It will test your download & upload speeds your ping times, packet loss and jitter.
    It will generate a CSV log file for all this data and also present you with a graphical representation. you can also create screen shots of the graph & the manual results window. The memory usage i have managed to get down to approx < 2MB whilst in "sleep" mode (in tray) so a nice small footprint.

attached is a screenshot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

Your dish is not properly aligned, or else your talking complete nonsense! Either way, never once have I lost satellite signal in any weather.

Actually, when the rain gets quite bad the signal will drop or come and go.

It is aligned correctly, maybe its the fact that we have sky multiroom and the signal is divided between two boxes, so if we only had one box maybe the signal would be strong enough to keep that one signal working fine.

Anyway, off topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Just did a speed test.

DL: 7.89mbps
    UL: 0.64mbps

Definitely an improvement on recent nights but I'll test again later to make sure.

The ping speed is of concern to me. On any test servers, the lowest I can get is 44ms. Averaging around 50ms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

I Joined Sky in December 2012.

My Speed with VF was on average 6.5m this only happened After many, many months of poor Speeds and dropouts with them. I went throught everything from changing both the wiring and routers. The fault was also at the customers side.

Vf. Were going to bring several customers to discuss the problems with the Internet. This was cancelled, heard nothing more. Then the speed increased and this was constant. 6.65m Profile 8.132m

Now, with Sky connection of 8.132m at hub and actual speed 7.1 - 7.3m. Sky called one evening and said that my speed should be higher. Tested the line, speed dropped by 1/2.

After this was then sent up the ladder and had a visit from Eircom.. They changed the Master Socket. This had never been updated in 30 years. The Engineer said that as speeds were increasing many faults were showing up and they(eircom) were fixing them with half the staff.

Speeds went back to 7m. For several weeks. Now, speed at hub 10.132m. With actual 9m.

Found that Sky CS were excellent and they and I worked together. Sometimes, it was going as quickly as I would have liked.

I believe that I am now at the best speed I apcan get at this time.

Compared to VF, Sky have been excellent with me..

I believe that ISP's over estimate the speeds one may receive. From the experience I have had with a number of them and from what I have seen on various forums. 75% efficient is the average one may receive.

I would like to finish by repeating that CS with Sky was one of the best I have dealt with in several years.

I didn't wanna speak too soon either...but I've noticed better speeds since yesterday evening...

One thing I had forgotten to say it that many consumers are still on old exchanges which have not been upgraded. Therefore contention comes into play Speeds will then drop in the evening.

Now, why LLU exchanges should not drop. If they do so , that is another question.

Here's my speeds at different times today.

4.10pm Ping 29, D/L 16.38mbps, U/L .65mbps

6.20pm Ping 31, D/L 14.66mbps, U/L .65mbps

7.35pm Ping 28, D/L 12.81mbps, U/L .61mbps

9.40pm Ping 30, D/L 11.60mbps, U/L .61mbps.

A definite improvement over the past 2 evenings. Last week at this time of night I was getting less that 2mbps:(. So here's hoping.................:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭rebellad

My speeds for today:

4.00pm Ping 50, D/L 13.3mbps, U/L .642mbps

6.00pm Ping 46, D/L 12.5mbps, U/L .642mbps

8.00pm Ping 48, D/L 9.90mbps, U/L .572mbps

10.00pm Ping 50, D/L 11.60mbps, U/L .641mbps.

This is on a line supposed to give 14mb. Similar to Kristopherus I was only getting < 2mb up to 2 nights ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 aromaie2000

Anyone who's with sky for.phone and broadband should get away from them my phone line is now down 3 weeks iv no phone broadband or house alarm they are an absolute nightmare to deal with they have no idea how to deal with customers definitely leaving as soon as they sort it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12 mcdirl

2667502734.png

I'm on 6 MB profile, normally get 5.2 MB consistently, tonight is the first time I've seen speeds drop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭java

I wonder did Sky give Eircom a barrelfull over the contention issues at night. .

Why? Sky problems have nothing to do with Eircom.

java wrote: »
    Why? Sky problems have nothing to do with Eircom.

Can you enlighten me, please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭naughto

mine

date time down up ping
    24/04/2013 20:48 ,3803, 429, 61.
    24/04/2013 21:48 ,3438, 406, 61.
    24/04/2013 22:19 ,3733, 429, 52.
    24/04/2013 22:49 ,3897, 429, 52.

0n a 8mb line

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭paulski999

Seems to have improved for me over last two nights...

Sky response
    Hi Paul,
    Thank you for contacting Sky Help Centre.
    I am very sorry to hear that you are experiencing slower than expected download speeds with your Sky Broadband service. We were aware of this issue and there was a fix put in place on monday and we have been testing the speed issues since and as far as we are aware the issue should now be resolved. I would ask that you perform a master rest on your sky hub by holding the reset button on the back for more than 30 seconds and monitor the speeds from there on.
    I would advise that if you are still having this problem that you call our technical team here in Dublin directly on 0818 762 917 and one of our technical agents can troubleshoot any issues for you on a more personal level. (Calls to Sky help centres are FREE of charge when you use your Sky Talk landline) They will also be able to test your line to establish the cause of the slow speeds. In the mean time you can try some of the troubleshooting steps yourself at the link provided below. Once again please accept our sincere apologies for any frustration this has caused you.
    http://help.sky.com/broadband/broadband-speeds/fix-a-slow-broadband-connection?country=ie
    I hope this helps with your enquiry and please feel free to reply to my email if you require any further information or if I can help you in any other way.
    Kind regards
    Daniel
    Sky Help Centre
    http://www.sky.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Well in fairness. Sky seem to be trying to fix the problem. At least they are not ignoring people and blaming everyone else

It took them long enough though, their forum is littered with the same issue of speed drop at certain times. Tech support agents giving you the run around with silly tests

Lets hope what they have done to amend this will put an end to it

• Registered Users Posts: 3 daithicam

Sky have been very good with me in the past couple of days. Their 'fix' seems to have done the trick for now anyway. Consistent 10 on 12 mb line since Tuesday. They also said I'd get a credit for the weeks that the speed was brutal. To be honest, can't say fairer than that. Also the tech support guy said (off te record) that they'd make fibre available in fibred areas 'sooner rather than later'

In all honesty I'm not pushed about getting more dl speed but I'd kill for upload!

No one seems to be in a position to offer decent upload at a reasonable price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Chop Chop

Has anyone got sky broadband in North Wicklow?

Looks like time to jump to Sky! For anybody going from VF to Sky was there any break in service and if so for how long?

I feel sorry for ppl who got the special intro deal and have since ditched Sky because of the speed issues. If only they just stuck it out....

degsie wrote: »
    Looks like time to jump to Sky! For anybody going from VF to Sky was there any break in service and if so for how long?

I feel sorry for ppl who got the special intro deal and have since ditched Sky because of the speed issues. If only they just stuck it out....

I jumped to Sky last December. They gave me an activation date. Sent me emails and on that date plugged in the hub and away it went. Had some issues with speeds. That has been sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 7 LJB666

My sky service started yesterday and unlike Vodafone I haven't had to restart my router once. My speed was up yesterday but not by much and down a bit today but I'm sure it will settle over the next few days. For me living living a couple of miles away from bohola in co mayo it will be a long time before I get real speed but all day yesterday I had 6.5 mbs and that's all my line can handle. My package with sky is €8 pm more than I was paying vodafone but its worth it to not to have to reset the router at least once a day

When BT sold out to VF had very poor speeds and drop outs. Went to Sky as they had offer me an excellent deal compared to VF.
    So will stay for a while and see what comes up in the next 12 months.

• Advertisement

Speeds @ 23:10 2.1 Mbs,

Line is rated @ 12 Mbs

Speed during the day 10.5 Mbs

Utter Bull**** From Sky!!!!!

FaganJr wrote: »
    Speeds @ 23:10 2.1 Mbs,

Line is rated @ 12 Mbs

Speed during the day 10.5 Mbs

Utter Bull**** From Sky!!!!!

Do you know what type of exchange you are on? Has it been updated? Finally have you connected Sky. Had speed problems and I found them very good to deal with compared to VF.

Keep after them

airuser wrote: »
    Do you know what type of exchange you are on? Has it been updated? Finally have you connected Sky. Had speed problems and I found them very good to deal with compared to VF.

Keep after them

Howdy Airuser,

Been onto them multiple times, promised sun moon & stars, but nobody has ever rang me back!

Call escalated to Tier 2 with 3 weeks or so

Exchange is Eircom as will be fibre next month, might switch to them!

No company is perfect, granted, but the very least a company can do is call you and say sorry mate we cant do jack! At least be honest!

Might cancel it tomorrow, had enough really! :o

If you are on that type of exchange you should be getting a good speed.

Suggest that you reset the hub. Button on the rear. When that reconnects get the stats from the hub.

Then check first thing in morning. see your figures. As I as I said did have problems at first. Appeared to be my MasternSocket. Had not been replace in 30 years.

As with VF found the various layers one has to go through is stupid. It took some time for an Eircom Engineer to call to me. They too are under stain as they are working with fewer and fewer staff .

If you are thinking of changing to Eircom check if you will be able to get the fibre.

I have had been enquiring about fibre here. All I will get from 2 ISPs is the term shortly.

Can get UPC, but others charges come into play.

Just found out our exchange is not LLU. Am I going to get bad speeds from Sky because of this?

From the various forum, one gets the impression that those users on that type of exchange do suffer from problems in the time space 7-11 pm.
    This is due to the numbers using the Internet in the area.
    You may be lucky and may not be too bad.
    If you are with Sky keep after them. If they told u a speed then keep telling them of what they said

I had this problem with VF and my exchange was unbundled.
    Good luck

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I cancelled sky because they said my line couldnt handle more than 7mb yet all other providers consistently told me i can ever since our exchange was upgraded on 1st March.
    Countless and i do mean countless calls to sky over a 3 week period proved unsuccessful so I decided to go back to eircom since they can now offer me NGB since the upgrade.
    I got activated today im now getting close to 16mb download speed uncontended broadband.
    Eircom also gave me welcome back credit of €180 as ive always paid my bills on time [their words not mine :)]
    Granted its more expensive but im absolutely delighted to be away from sky.

They have been an absolute nightmare in every respect, they created double accounts when i signed up for their bb and ignored my ancient sky tv account, the net result was double bills that nobody from sky could fix,constant threatening emails and letters for unpaid bills [is the second account they set up]
    I had to instruct my bank to block direct debit on the second account as sky persisted in billing me despite countless complaints and calls from me.

Eventually they came up with an idea to fix this issue by saying i had to start yet another account for TV [and cancel my old one]and then to add the broadband to it which i done on their advice and assurance all would be sorted.

A few days later im getting yet more threatening emails and letters about a third ****ing account , Jesus Christ Almighty ! i didnt think it could get any worse.

Add that to their incompetence in assuring my line cant take more than 7mb despite my telling them others providers suggest otherwise.
    Its been an absolute nightmare and the single worst dealing ive ever had with anyone.

Thankfully atleast no more stress from sky.

As always their tv service is top class as is their tv support, but for broadband avoid like the plague is my advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Danny Edwards

Dcully, you sound like a victim of your own bad timing. If you switched to Sky now, you'd get 16 mb at a cheaper price. I know it's not your fault, it's just sheer bad luck.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Dcully, you sound like a victim of your own bad timing. If you switched to Sky now, you'd get 16 mb at a cheaper price. I know it's not your fault, it's just sheer bad luck.

No, to this day sky still say my line doesnt support more than 7mb, same for a neighbour of mine,he too as quit sky.
    Plus sky is not uncontended hence why so many see major slowdown at peak hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Just got my sky hub and text message saying my broadband is activated this morning, went home and set the whole thing up but the Internet light won't come on :-( I rang sky and they said everything seems ok on their end and to wait a few hours for it to activate, did anyone else have to wait like this?

Advertisement