Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky Broadband.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

i signed up with sky a couple months ago.

Already had tv with them so added broadband and phone for an extra €40.

Only been getting 2meg speeds though and was promised 8.

Just had a lad from vodafone call to the door offering me 24 meg, improving to 70meg in a couple months, plus phone for €38.

I went for it and signed up anyway.

Anyone know if im in contract with sky or anything like that or will they charge me for leaving so early?

2meg is laughable really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Dcully wrote: »
    No, to this day sky still say my line doesnt support more than 7mb, same for a neighbour of mine,he too as quit sky.
    Plus sky is not uncontended hence why so many see major slowdown at peak hours.

And your return to Eircom was'nt silky smooth either:D:D:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

And your return to Eircom was'nt silky smooth either:D:D:D

Sure wasnt but got there in the end :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 154 ✭✭Mits

rogieop wrote: »

Just had a lad from vodafone call to the door offering me 24 meg, improving to 70meg in a couple months, plus phone for €38.

Anyone know if im in contract with sky or anything like that or will they charge me for leaving so early?

I had a problem with sky slowing down in the evening. I got sky to email me saying that I would not suffer the €250 penalty for breaking the contract.

If I was you I'd phone sky support and tell them you want to leave due to the slow speed and get the rep to confirm it, it took me a number of calls to get an email from them. But they do confirm that you can leave without penalty.

I also recon the vodafone salesman said "up to 24mb" unless you are living in the exchange I doubt you will get 24mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭littlenubbin85

rogieop wrote: »

Yep, you're definitely in contract with Sky but the fact that you're not receiving the package that you signed up for means that you can challenge that contract. You should be able to leave without incurring any penalties. On the other hand, I'd be a bit worried about what that Vodafone rep offered you. You might be able to get speeds of up to 24mb but there's no way you're ever going to hit 70mb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭littlenubbin85

ClonNGB wrote: »
    I left Skyandreturned to Eircom thinking they would be best bet, but having signed up for their 24mb ultimate package I am only getting 7mb. I have now been told they have me on the 8mb package.getting a little tired of spending my spare time on the support lines getting a different answer every time I call. Why the hell cant someone supply the service you order ? Bad and all that it is at least the speed is constant unlike Sky but not happy paying for 24 and getting 8.

What speed can your line take? If you're line can only take 7mb, there's no point in being on a 24mb package. On the other hand, I think Eircom can only sign people on the 8mb package to begin with and then you have to upgrade to 24mb. Check and see what package your on and then upgrade/downgrade accordingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Danny Boy

Yep, you're definitely in contract with Sky but the fact that you're not receiving the package that you signed up for means that you can challenge that contract. You should be able to leave without incurring any penalties. On the other hand, I'd be a bit worried about what that Vodafone rep offered you. You might be able to get speeds of up to 24mb but there's no way you're ever going to hit 70mb.

When Vodafone launch fibre you'll get 70 or thereabouts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Sky will also be launching fibre...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭FaganJr

Sky will also be launching fibre...

Really, where did you hear this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

My hub arrived today.
    Cant even use it yet until Tuesday.
    I'm actually annoyed they didn't just activate the line so I could use my own router?

Why are we forced to use their hub??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

On to sky today, and aparently my line wasn't activated properly so ive to wait for the tech team to get back to me within 72 hours :( I just want some proper Internet ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

My hub arrived today.
    Cant even use it yet until Tuesday.
    I'm actually annoyed they didn't just activate the line so I could use my own router?

Why are we forced to use their hub??

id plug it in and see if it works.the dont no why we are forced to use their hub.you can get the user name and password but it takes a bit of doing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

ive never had anything over 3mb so 24 will do me fine tbh! :D gonna ring sky later and see what they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

FaganJr wrote: »
    Really, where did you hear this?

All the eircom resellers have access to the eircom rollout, what you call "fibre" which it's not as it's fibre to the cabinet...

So they will all launch the new speeds at roughly the same time

naughto wrote: »
    id plug it in and see if it works.the dont no why we are forced to use their hub.you can get the user name and password but it takes a bit of doing

Tried it, no connection.
    So stupid, why not activate the line at the same time as the phone line?? The mind boggles...

All the eircom resellers have access to the eircom rollout,

You would think this to be the case but sky couldnt offer me more than 7mb but im now getting 15mb with eircom.

You would think this to be the case but sky couldnt offer me more than 7mb but im now getting 15mb with eircom.

Well that's a different issue...that sounds like a derp somewhere in Sky's process as your exchange was probably updated from 8Mbs to 24Mbs or something like that and Sky's system hasn't been updated correctly.

bealtine wrote: »
    Well that's a different issue...that sounds like a derp somewhere in Sky's process as your exchange was probably updated from 8Mbs to 24Mbs or something like that and Sky's system hasn't been updated correctly.

Tell me about it, 15+ calls to their support couldnt sort the issue either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

I have UPC 30mb, very good service, but I was thinking of switching to sky for BB and calls as I already have their tv service and bundling it all together would be great. but I hear they use eircom lines, I haven't used DSL in years, has it improved at all?, I think my house is connected to the Newlands Cross exchange in Dublin. The sky rep told me at the door I could choose the upto 24meg or 50meg with unlimited usage?? Would my DSL line handle those speeds, I'm not convinced. I don't remember ever getting over 3mb on my line. Would I be mad to get rid of UPC bb for Sky?

mark17j wrote: »
    3mb on my line. Would I be mad to get rid of UPC bb for Sky?

Quite frankly yes you would be mad to swap cable for DSL (from any provider)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Funny that. When I do a speedtest from a Sligo server I get a ping of 16 & a D/L speed of over 11.00mbps. Is your Sky modem gone back to them?

Funny that. When I do a speedtest from a Sligo server I get a ping of 16 & a D/L speed of over 11.00mbps. Is your Sky modem gone back to them?

They said the exchange can't handle more than 7mb, more a system screw up their end delighted to be rid of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Danny Edwards

They said the exchange can't handle more than 7mb, more a system screw up their end delighted to be rid of them.

If you switched to Sky now, would you get your 15 mb? It looks like very unfortunate timing that you switched to Sky just before Eircom upgraded their exchange.

If you switched to Sky now, would you get your 15 mb? It looks like very unfortunate timing that you switched to Sky just before Eircom upgraded their exchange.

Yes unfortunate timing but every time i rang sky about increasing speed they said my line and indeed the exchange cannot support anything faster yet i know many people in the town with 14 mb both with sky and other ISP`s :rolleyes:

They consistently said no each time i called, same from another friend of mine who moved to sky within a few days of me,he was told the same BS as myself, needless to say he has moved back to eircom too.

We got tired of calling them and they simply couldnt get their **** together.

I personally called over 15 times :rolleyes:

Ive explained this a few times on here now and went into great detail about the other major issues i had with sky too.

I understand it hard to read everything in this thread :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I love Sky, €10 a month for fast unlimited broadband. Pity they didn't arrive sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

Sky were most likely worried about contention hence saying you can only get 7mb due to probably overselling in your area without enough backhaul.

liamnojo92 wrote: »
    Sky were most likely worried about contention hence saying you can only get 7mb due to probably overselling in your area without enough backhaul.

I seriously doubt that...afaik his local exchange was an 8Mb/s exchange until very recently so 8Mb would be the max that could have been delivered.

Well still no broadband :( they didn't activate my line properly and ive been waiting for 3 days to hear back from them, great start ffs

Well still no broadband :( they didn't activate my line properly and ive been waiting for 3 days to hear back from them, great start ffs
    I'm due to be connected tomorrow.
    you have me worried now :(

• Advertisement

have you rang them

have you rang them

I did on Saturday, went through a few trouble shooting steps and was told that I was getting escalated and that the tech team would ring me within 72 hours, hasn't happened yet :( just want some proper Internet as im **** sick of three mobile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

What happens when Eircom do the fibre roll-out, will Sky speeds go up since they use the same infrastructure?

I did on Saturday, went through a few trouble shooting steps and was told that I was getting escalated and that the tech team would ring me within 72 hours, hasn't happened yet :( just want some proper Internet as im **** sick of three mobile
    post up on there forms as well and keep bumping the thread untill u get a sky rep to talk to you.i have an awfull job recently up grading my old sky box to sky plus,rang them 4 or 5 time and was on hold for about 20mins each time,posted on there forms and i email them,they got back to through the forms faily quick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

post up on there forms as well and keep bumping the thread untill u get a sky rep to talk to you.i have an awfull job recently up grading my old sky box to sky plus,rang them 4 or 5 time and was on hold for about 20mins each time,posted on there forms and i email them,they got back to through the forms faily quick

forms!!! what forms???:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

sorry half asleep here typing that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

It might not be popular but sky became my provider early yesterday morning and ive been getting twice what vodafone were giving me on the same line
    Ive checked at different times of the day and night and its been consistent
    So fingers crossed!

My activation was supposed to be today.
    Nada.
    Nothing.
    I called them and she said it'll be another 2 days!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

My activation was supposed to be today.
    Nada.
    Nothing.
    I called them and she said it'll be another 2 days!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Same issue with me since Friday, not happy about it :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

So does this mean that Sky and Eircom will be able to match UPC speeds?

I rang Sky for a quote today and they said they are still using the old copper lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

So does this mean that Sky and Eircom will be able to match UPC speeds?

I rang Sky for a quote today and they said they are still using the old copper lines.

In the NGA Broadband two systems will be used Fibre to Cabinet and Fibre to Home. The latter will happen only in the homes where the developer has installed fibre cables.
    What will mostly happen is Fibre to Cabinet and from that the good old copper wire.
    Eircom are rolling is out in some parts of the country with speeds up to 70m.
    Vodafone are looking for people who may be interested.

Pricing would be interesting

airuser wrote: »

Pricing would be interesting

Ah I see.
    That is interesting.
    But it still leaves me wondering, Sky offered me a connection of 6mb, compared to UPC 50mb. And the man in Sky told me that 50 is excessive, saying that 6mb would be more than enough for surfing, downloading and gaming.

If that's the case then why bother offering a connection as high as 50mb?

Ah I see.
    That is interesting.
    But it still leaves me wondering, Sky offered me a connection of 6mb, compared to UPC 50mb. And the man in Sky told me that 50 is excessive, saying that 6mb would be more than enough for surfing, downloading and gaming.

If that's the case then why bother offering a connection as high as 50mb?

Hehe that's a good one...we offer far less speed for more money so choose our product...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

UPC can offer they higher speeds as the are running through the TV cabling system.

They have been upgrading their system for many years.

With SKY, Vodafone and all the other ISP'S they have to relay on Eircom unbundling the exchanges. Remember that Eircom have the control of the Telecom system up to your front door. Antthing done on that system has to be cleared with the,

In Ireland we have a mismatch of exchanges.

Those that have never been upgraded, and never will.

Bundled ones, unbundled one( other ISP's can use their equipment)

NOW COMES THE EXCITING BIT.

The NGB. this can be for speeds from 8M Up To 24M. Depending on several factors the Line it self. distance, and the exchange.

Then the Latest NBA up to 70 - 100M. The former only available with Fibre to Cabinet. That Cabinet on the road side and has a what looks like a big block of steel as a lock. Then to the old fashioned cabinet in ones Estate or nearby.By copper wire. So one could have the Fibre some way from ones home. Therefore 70M could be a little off.

Up to 100M could be achieved where it is Fibre to Home. This would be to homes where `fibre cable has been installed in the last couple years.

I have been asked if I would like 70M by my previous ISP.

At present my line is capable of 16M(when my stats are worked out), however, my profile is 10.239M and receiving 8.65M.

Remember "up to" whatever. is in the minds of the supplier.

Have never had an honestest answer from and ISP about speeds.

I have a upgraded Eircom Master Socket installed. Made very little difference in the % speed.

Promised 12M.
    Achieved 10.239M
    Actual 8.65M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭big_drive

I've been reading a bit this evening about Sky broadband but slightly confused.

Could anyone tell me the answer to this?

We already have Sky Tv- basic package plus sports and movies. Paying i think €68 a month at the moment.
    How much would it cost to add the broadband to the package?

Not interested in calls or phone. Just broadband

big_drive wrote: »
    I've been reading a bit this evening about Sky broadband but slightly confused.

Could anyone tell me the answer to this?

We already have Sky Tv- basic package plus sports and movies. Paying i think €68 a month at the moment.
    How much would it cost to add the broadband to the package?

Not interested in calls or phone. Just broadband

€40 IIRC.
    Also, the modem and phone come together as one.

ok, so it would be €40 extra on top of the €68 for a total of €108

Thats the part that was confusing me as i thought it seemed it might be less than €40 for existing tv customers

big_drive wrote: »
    ok, so it would be €40 extra on top of the €68 for a total of €108

Thats the part that was confusing me as i thought it seemed it might be less than €40 for existing tv customers

Not sure, they quoted me €40 for broadband/phone, then €27 on top of that for basic tv package.

I'm sure they would give you some deal to cater to what you want but no, I don't think it's going to be competitively priced.

When i searched tonight i thought i read that you could add the unlimited broadband for €20 a month extra if an existing tv customer. But i can't find the thread now so perhaps i'm getting mixed up a little

• Advertisement
Advertisement